New MacBook Pro Problems Already

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cshel24, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cshel24 macrumors member

So...all of my excitement for this new MB Pro is fading because it is not working very well.

Does anybody else have a problem with the stupid thing freezing up? I have had this thing less than a day, and I have had it lock up twice and once something popped up on the screen to tell me to turn off the computer.

I called Apple they told me to do something in disc utilities and it said my HD was fine....but I am still having the problem of it freezing up. :mad:

Is this a Lion problem, or am I looking at a lemon of a computer?

In the 3 years of my old MacBook, it has frozen up a grand total of 0 times...this new one has 3 freeze ups in 12 hours.

2. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Does it freeze up when doing an intensive task? That could be the intel HD4000 choking up. Try doing the same thing with discrete graphics.

If that's not it yeah you were probably got a defect.

3. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Hey Einstein, how can a video card choke up? :roll eyes:
    It gags too?

4. cshel24 thread starter macrumors member

It is freezing up while using Safari and Chrome...a task my 2009 MacBook White handles easily.

5. wundram macrumors member

I've had some issues with the machine locking up while I was using OpenCL functions. Apparently there is a bug in the OpenCL driver for the 650M released in 10.7.4. It seems that it might be fixed for 10.7.5.

6. cshel24 thread starter macrumors member

Yes Im running 10.7.4 I was wondering if this was some kind of OS glitch. Honestly I don't have much love for Lion, I took it off my old computer because it ran so poorly.

7. IncredibleBulk macrumors newbie

IncredibleBulk

I have seen some threads talking about chrome being the issue

8. cshel24 thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the heads up about Chrome...I have no emotional attachment to Chrome, I can easily stop using that!

9. that1guyy macrumors 6502

It's an expression. What's with the morons in this forum lately. Seriously grow the hell up you idiot.

10. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Check your activity monitor for anything unusual.

11. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

I've had it for 4 days now and haven't had an issue. Everything seems to be working flawlessly.

12. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Try a clean install of Lion and run all the updates. it could just be a dodgy install from the factory.

13. tekno macrumors 6502a

Very mature.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Actually, its not an expression its just something you say. "Freezing up" is an expression.

15. theBostonian Suspended

What's the difference between an expression and something you say? :confused:

"Choking up" is as much an expression (or, to be precise, idiom) as "freezing up".

16. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

The rMBP froze up on me too whilst trying it in the Apple store, although I did open every app at once on it. I'd presume it was caused by an OS issue.

17. blumpkin macrumors regular

Einstein died in 1955 moron. :rolleyes: HOW CAN HE POSSIBLY BE HIM?

18. eron macrumors 6502

19. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I agree the last thing you want is problems with your New Retina Mac Book Pro. If you paid the hefty price you might as well get a working machine instead of trying to trouble shoot it. You have 14 days to see if you like the machine or not. To every problem there's a solution...

20. zerotiu macrumors regular

Did you backup using time machine? Because there are some posts here said that this problem can be avoided if you do manual install. You can try..

said a smart man who has L series lenses... :D

21. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

In manufacturing they will have allowed for about 5-10% failure rate?

Guess you may just be one of them??

22. abstern macrumors member

I am having the same issue and went to the apple store yesterday and they found nothing wrong with the computer. It seems to be that running chrome and using flash within chrome causes the issue. Can I really just return it and pick up a new 13 inch MBP under those terms?

23. Aero Tom F16 macrumors newbie

Got mine yesterday. No problems using Safari. Works great for what Im using it for and looks incredible.

24. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

My mid-2009 MacBook Pro was having this issue for a few weeks... it would just randomly freeze, and this scary message came up telling me to turn off the computer...

I took it into the Apple Store and a Genius looked at it. He looked back in the Console to the exact time when the last freeze happened, and it turns out some of the bluetooth system files were corrupt and was causing the whole thing to break... We did a simple reinstall of Lion, and it's been fine ever since.

Worth knowing just incase it doesn't sort its self out! Hope you get it fixed.

25. eron macrumors 6502

You can return most things you buy from the physical Apple Store under ANY term. Well, I haven't tried removing the internals and returning it. It's a "no questions asked" return policy. Usually it's for 14 calendar days.
    http://store.apple.com/au/help/returns_refund

If it's bought online, it has to be returned through a courier which Apple arranges and pays for.