New MacBook pro reflection in screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captainbeefheat, Dec 23, 2011.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi just bought a MacBook pro. Generally very happy though have noticed there's quite a reflection in the screen. Notice a lot when watching videos. Is this normal or is there anything I can do to reduce it? Little annoying!

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

It's one of the downsides of having a glossy screen. Turning off the room lights helps/increasing screen brightness (ie. you want your screen to be brighter than the room's lighting) helps. You can also get an antiglare screen protector like the Moshi iVisor Pro.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

4. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. Elevon macrumors regular

Either return it for the AG screen or purchase a AG screen protector (no idea on their performance though @_@)

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Colors look more vibrant as opposed to matte where colors are more accurate but slightly dull.

9. tmagman macrumors 6502

+1 :)

Won't buy a machine without one now.

10. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm seems a bit rediclious to me a machine that cost me £1500 has this sort of problem! Thought it would be a little late to return. Had it a few days now and back home for the holidays so be another four days until I'm back home and have access to the box to return it in. Guess I could give the screen protector a chance. Anyone use one? Any good?

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I believe Apple would term it a design decision, not a problem.

I voted with my wallet and went HR-AG this time.

But yeah, it's stupid.

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

There is no problem with the machine. It is doing what it is designed to do - you did not do enough research before you spent your £1500.

People have lots of luck with screen protectors over in the iPad forum but there isn't much talk about them here.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you bought from Apple I believe they have an extended return policy over christmas.

Also, it's not a problem. Some people prefer the glossy over the anti-glare screen. It's a choice!

14. plethon macrumors newbie

plethon

The only good reason for the glass–covered screen I can think of is having infants and young children in the house. It's a lot easier to spray some pledge for electronics and wipe off the glass screen than carefully wiping down the antiglare. And they can poke at the glass without harming it. I seriously didn't get the point until spending two weeks with a friend with young kids and seeing her MBP's (glossy) screen.

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I personally love antiglare but you have to admit, the glass screen makes the MacBook pro look more like the other computer's in Apple's lineup, specifically the iMac.
    I love the looks of the glass screen, however I don't love using it, and thus I have my antiglare. Don't get my wrong, I use a glossy thunderbolt display indoors, away from windows and light, however if you plan on doing any work under bright lights, outside, or anywhere you might have stray light, antiglare is the way to go.

16. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

17. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I would not recommend a matte screen protector. I had one on my iPod Touch and it always made the screen look slightly fuzzy/grainy. An antiglare display is just as sharp as a glossy one, but because the glass puts distance between the LCD and a screen protector there is a blurring effect. It also won't do much to reduce total reflected light, which is higher with glass than an antiglare display.

18. SurferMan macrumors 65816

None, even high end graphic designers I know use the high-res anti glare. This is the one thing I absolutley despise about my 13" Pro... the glare and reflections on the screen are annoying as hell but I liked the more portable size especially when traveling vs the 15". It's fine at night time, but durring the day... ughh

I seriously hope Apple makes an high-res antiglare option for the next 13... vs forcing you to spring for the 15 or 17 :rolleyes:

yeh I've tried a couple, and their useless, yeh they help reduce glare on the screen but at the result of a fuzzy/graininess look to the colors and text.

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's not ridiculous that the machine has this "problem" because it isn't a problem. Some people prefer glossy, some prefer anti-glare. I've owned both and liked them for different reasons. It seems a little bit ridiculous that you spent that much money on a computer without doing more research first. There's a lot of threads around here about the pros/cons of the different screens. Read up, and if you decide you want to switch you can always sell the MBP you have now and put the cash towards an anti-glare version. Fortunately MBPs hold their value well so you shouldn't lose too much.

20. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

I did plenty of research and it's just nothing I realy noticed until I started watching videos on the screen. Like even in the dark there's a hell of a reflection. To the point you can't see what's on the screen that well so not sure how the brighter colours would help...

21. WarpSpawn macrumors member

The glossy screen is something that gets mentioned in reviews quite a lot. It is also pretty clear that there is some reflection on a lot of pictures that did not originate from Apple's press department.

I'm kind of forced to wonder here if you have the screen brightness turned up much. Also how dark is "dark"? I find in normal domestic lighting conditions, without any bright light source (like a window) behind me, it is perfectly usable but with reflections apparent when darker content is on the screen. So I strongly suspect the claim that you can't see what is on the screen is an exaggeration.

22. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't think I said I couldn't see what's on the screen. Just I can quite clearly see me, as much as I like looking at myself I don't want to whole watching a video ;-)

23. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

And yes I've heard of the issue just didn't think on a pro model it could be tjst bad is all!

24. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You`ve been a member here since `06 and have never seen one of the 6.2 million "Glossy vs Antiglare" threads?
    Seriously?

25. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Glossy is glossy. In fact, it is still just as glossy at $300 and at $1500. Hell, you might even get glossier at the higher price point, what with the nice glass used compared with the plastics on a cheaper model.