New Macbook Pro (Retina) Laggy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cardinal, Jun 12, 2012.

1. cardinal macrumors member

I bought a new Macbook Pro (Retina) today because I thought the high resolution would enable me to have a lot of desktop workspace. I enabled scaling for more space in system preferences and tried Safari. I immediately noticed excessive scrolling lag. It was much worse than without scaling enabled and also much worse than my roommate's Macbook Air.

Pretty disappointed if this is how it's going to be when the desktop is scaled.

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

hmm, this was my first concern about how snappy it would perform with this incredibly high resolution.

3. mleary macrumors regular

The resolution should not cause any performance issues, it sounds like it is the software resampling it does for scaling.

4. xalexx macrumors member

I just bought a RMBP as my first apple product yesterday, very excited to make the switch.
    This is bad news.
    I really want to be happy with it. I want to be able to use it for years, but 3/4 of the posts on this board are bashing the new pro. It's depressing me.
    I hope you fix the lag problem :(

5. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

What? I've seen only like 3 posts from people who actually have these things IN HAND. Who is bashing them?? A bunch of people who have never even laid eyes on the thing.

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Maybe Spotlight is indexing in the background?

7. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

8. EpsilonExordium macrumors member

EpsilonExordium

Make sure you install the trackpad update that was just released. You can find it on the front page here.

9. samac92 macrumors 6502a

There is always a lot of people complaining for every single Apple announcement. This has actually been a very successful update, there is very little complaining compared to past updates, its just a very small loud minority you see here.

10. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I'd love to see some pictures of it if you don't mind.

11. cardinal thread starter macrumors member

Just installed all the updates, still pretty laggy when I expand the safari browser to fill the screen with the most desktop space.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

In that mode it's actually rendering at 3840x2400 :)eek:) and then downscaling to 2880x1800. Sounds like it needs an update to tweak the scaling process.

13. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Just to confirm the lag is only with software scaling on yes? This doesn't happen when the scaling is set to the default? (retina)

Edit: just read someone saying it is only laggy on integrated graphics. Can you switch to the dedicated card and see?

14. eba macrumors regular

A guy said in another thread that changing his graphics setting to the faster of the two cards solved the lag issue at the higher resolutions.

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385037&page=4

Seems like it's the HD4000 graphics choking while trying to render 3840x2400. Will be interesting to see what Apple does about this. If they can't get the HD4000 to handle that resolution they could just force the dedicated GPU on when you pick the high real estate option.

16. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Yep. My heart goes out to those waiting for a 13" Retina.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not sure I would want the equivalent of 1920x1200 real estate on a 13" display though :p

Really "1440x900" scale retina would be about the most you would want on a 13", maybe "1680x1050" scale at the high end.

18. cardinal thread starter macrumors member

Honestly after switching to using only the discrete graphics card the scrolling is still laggy, I don't even notice an improvement.

19. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Is it laggy with the "DEFAULT" (Retina) setting??

20. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Restart your computer or something, or check the activity monitor with the "all" setting on. Something is eating up your CPU, they obviously wouldn't ship it like this.

21. iFanboy Guest

I wonder how much of this is software related?

I mean, OSX Lion has been upgraded to include retina support. What if the updates are just buggy?

Mountain Lion was completely re-evaluated with retina in mind so IMHO, its more likely to "suit" retina from the off.

Just a thought...

22. rockbird macrumors member

It seems there is something wrong with your CPU usage. My friend just got his MBP w/ retina and so far he is saying the safari is amazing but chrome and firefox need font fixing

23. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

:( Doesn't sound good. Keep us informed.

I do hope so. But its not like Apple to rush a product out to the masses if it's half baked.

24. cardinal thread starter macrumors member

No it's not.

----------

Nothing else is running.