Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
No it doesn't sound right, but that's why i waited to by my uMBP 2011 15" in October last year as there were similar buggy issues when Apple first bought out the new design.

It'll be a long time until my next upgrade.... I'm still very happy with the machine I already have :)

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Safari 6 will have a rebuilt animation/graphics subsystem

Who knows, it might be buggy at first, but the new Safari is apparently completely rebuilt using Core Animation for rendering in order to improve performance.

If you're not having this issue in other applications (even ones like Chrome that render ugly), then I'd be confident that you'll be fine once the new Safari is out.

However if apps like Mail/Chrome/etc are laggy, that isn't a good sign.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
I just had a play on the 15-inch: 2.3GHz Retina display MBP and there was NO lag in Safari in all the resolution options.

Apple Store Covent Garden has six on the table to play with. All looking pretty damn slick. ;)

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It's "acceptable" for a 1st gen product?!?!?! :eek:

So you think it's OK to shell out $2700 to beta-test a product that should have already been beta-tested and optimized to oblivion before launch?

It's NOT ok to experience any lag whatsoever, regardless of whether you're running with the integrated or the dedicated GPU.

To be honest the whole thing is really a big beta test. It's the first notebook with such a high resolution, it's also the first time OSX has been used by consumers in HiDPI mode. So yes, you're paying $2000+ to be part of an Apple beta test, just like people were with the first Intel mac in a way.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The Intel HD4000 should be too weak to run the display well. It's probably choking on the resolution if it's doing a lot of scale rendering. That's why the display would lag. If you're running on default 1440x900 in Retina, it should be optimized for performance. It could also be the fault of a faulty logic board.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks for sharing!

I wouldn't listen too much to the complaints in here. People tend to exaggerate problems or look for faults that don't really exist. I have every faith that Apple is delivering an unbelievable product that all but the tiniest majority of consumers will love.
Had your big glass of kool-aid this morning huh?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yep. My heart goes out to those waiting for a 13" Retina.

Without the optical drive they should still have room for dedicated graphics card. Battery size can be reduced a little as you have less screen backlighting so they should still be able to achieve 6-7 hours.

Retina Air will be the real issue, and I doubt we will see that for a while.

But in the keynote it was stated that the HD4000 is 65% faster than the HD3000. I have that on my Air and scrolling is smooth, but in the new MBP at scaled resolution you are asking for it to fill more than 4x the pixels AND scale it down.

But the real question is, does it lag in other apps that scroll or only Safari? As Safari's scrolling animation is being rebuilt for Mountain Lion.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've had the retina since yesterday and honestly didn't notice any lagging issues until reading this thread. In nearly everything I do the retina slows away my 13" MacBook Air.

I did pull up the Apple Store with all the pictures and their is a slight lag there, I didn't even notice it last night when I was on the same page (only noticed it because someone mentioned it here).

Only odd thing I've seen so far is graphics on webpages that are fuzzy due to not scaling well. Ditto for my favorite app Reeder which needs to be made retina happy (it's a bit fuzzy).

As apps are updated, things will get better.

What was really impressive is the time it took to migrate my MacBook Air to the new retina MacBook Pro. Via Thunderbolt took about 1.5 minutes. That was amazing.

Other thing that is interesting is I cannot find a way to get the battery indicator to show time remaining. It will only show %. I miss that feature. Maybe Mountain Lion will fix that?

Note I have the $2199 model.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for sharing!

I wouldn't listen too much to the complaints in here. People tend to exaggerate problems or look for faults that don't really exist. I have every faith that Apple is delivering an unbelievable product that all but the tiniest majority of consumers will love.

Yeah, folks, dont listen to someone that owns one, listen to someone that used one briefly in a store. Hurrrrr. Fanboys are the worst.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
To be honest the whole thing is really a big beta test. It's the first notebook with such a high resolution, it's also the first time OSX has been used by consumers in HiDPI mode. So yes, you're paying $2000+ to be part of an Apple beta test, just like people were with the first Intel mac in a way.

Thanks for sharing!

WTH? This is a "premium product" (as Apple fans would like to call it) and issues like this are not acceptable. Remember when iPhone people were saying Android is pretty much a "beta test"?

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I bought a new Macbook Pro (Retina) today because I thought the high resolution would enable me to have a lot of desktop workspace. I enabled scaling for more space in system preferences and tried Safari. I immediately noticed excessive scrolling lag. It was much worse than without scaling enabled and also much worse than my roommate's Macbook Air.

Pretty disappointed if this is how it's going to be when the desktop is scaled.

How did you get your hands on this New Mac Book Pro...There is a 2-3 weeks waiting period for it? :confused:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah I am in Toronto, Canada and there is none in the stores....This sucks I really want to see it up front and use it before purchasing it....

I'm ready to buy it without trying it (there's always the 14 days return policy too). But unfortunately the lady at the Apple store here said they expected them on friday (I'm hoping she's wrong...)

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
When I was in the Apple Store this morning being disappointed by lack of RMBPs for sale, I played with one of the display units and I did not notice any laggy scrolling in Safari when I changed the resolution to the highest scaled one.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Mine is running fine just got it today the screen meets my expectations based on my experiences with my iPhone 4 and iPad 3. However I did notice the words in ms word heavly pixilated!

Also how do you change the graphic card to nvidia on my system information it only reads intel.

jcljk

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Mine is running fine just got it today the screen meets my expectations based on my experiences with my iPhone 4 and iPad 3. However I did notice the words in ms word heavly pixilated!

Also how do you change the graphic card to nvidia on my system information it only reads intel.

The lag appears worst when scrolling a page with many pictures. I tried iTunes and it was as lag as safari as long as there are many pictures to render. It feels like the machine is struggling to render retina images.
Please let us know if you find the same lag issue with scrolling a page with many images.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Gonna have to wait until Mountain Lion.

Lot of fuss here about which GPU is active, but Safari doesn't actually use the graphics card until Mountain Lion.

So again, because Mountain Lion Safari uses the GPU, wait until Mountain Lion.

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Apparently newest chrome canary does not have this laginess at all, so maybe try that?

Tried that, didn't help much if at all.
Did you try restarting after forcing the discrete GPU? Someone in another thread said that helped. Also, can you try going in and out of full screen mode in iPhoto, while some other windows are behind? See if there's any choppiness there? Try it again with discrete forced, and then unforced.

TSloper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I stopped by the Apple store yesterday after reading the posts about lag. I did not notice any lag when scrolling in Safari in any of the video modes on the Retina MBP. This was all with the GPU selection set to automatic (ie. not forced to high performance).

I've also been using the hi-res 15" MPB for the last two years and the 1680x1050 mode on the Retina MBP blows away the native panel.

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
push...

are other users experiencing the same issues?
went to my local apple store today and tried all MBPR... they were laggy as hell in itunes and safari!

In the other thread in this forum they say it would be a problem they're having with all/most of their computers in the apple store. But apparently it's not just a problem in the stores...

Other users who already received their MBPR and could say something about this?

Thanks a lot!

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
It's a work in progress. The joy of getting first-gen stuff is you get to work on problems - and smash your head against the wall until it turns into jelly - that second-gen buyers will never see, find solutions/workarounds, and brag how you "survived the war".

Instead of expecting everything to work on day one, expect that you will encounter problems. Makes dealing with these new stuff a lot easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.