New MacBook Pro: Setup assistant or Migration assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DSTOFEL, Sep 26, 2016.

1. DSTOFEL, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I have a very nuanced question about how to setup a Mac that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I just sold my mid-2012 15 inch Retina MBP to someone and they are wondering the best way to go about transferring their current system (data, apps, etc..) to the new MacBook Pro. Here are the key details...and the "nuance"!

For the MacBook Pro that I sold them (i.e. The target laptop): I used Internet Recovery to load OS X Mountain Lion back on it (i.e. The original version of OS X that came with the MacBook Pro).

The current Macbook the person who bought my MBP owns (i.e. The Source laptop): It's a 2009 Macbook (i.e. Not a pro). They have done a time machine backup of it. It's currently on El Capitan

My question: When they first launch the new 15 inch MBP (i.e. With a fresh install of Mountain Lion): Can they simply use "Setup Assistant" to transfer all of their data, apps, settings, etc... from their Time Machine Backup....even though their Time Machine BU was done using El Capitan? Is it possible to use setup assistant when the source backup (i.e. Done on Time Machine) is on a latter version of OS X than that of the target machine (i.e. The new MBP).

Or, will they have to use Migration Assistant (i.e. Later) to transfer their data, apps, settings, etc... from their time machine backup. I'm thinking this is the case. Am I correct? If so, I'm assuming these are the steps they would need to follow:
    • Setup the new MBP as a clean installation (i.e. Not using setup assistant to build it from a Time Machine BU), but plan instead to use migration assistant later.
      • Be sure "NOT" to name the new account (i.e. Created in the setup process) the same name as the old account that will be migrated later via Migration assistant.
    • Upgrade the OS X to Sierra on the new MBP before using Migration assistant.
    • Use Migration assistant to transfer all data, apps, settings, etc... from the existing time machine bu of the old machine (i.e. Currently on El Capitan).
    Thanks in advance.

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

id say upgrade to el cap or seirra first then restore from time mechine backup that would give them thier old install back just the way they left it.

3. DSTOFEL thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... that won't work. You cannot use either Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant to import from a newer OS than is being run on the Mac. So in your case, you cannot import data from El Capitan to a Mountain Lion install.

You also do not want to make an account on the Mac then import with Migration Assistant. Each account on a Mac has a UserID. The first account made will be UserID 501. If the UserID of the account to be imported is also 501 (even if a different name), you will have all sorts of permissions issues. You can read about it here. Bottom line is, don't do this.

What I would do to avoid these issues is use the El Capitan Time Machine backup to restore to the new Mac. This is different than Migration and will bring over the OS and all accounts and data. Do this.... command-option-r boot to recovery (this is different than command-r recovery) and select your wifi. Then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once the recovery utility is up, start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab and select the drive it self at the very top of the left column... then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown and apply that format. Now you have a blank drive. Then quit Disk Util and click restore and point to the El Capitan Time Machine backup as the source. That will bring in El Capitan and all the accounts and data along with it.

Then restart and everything should be there with El Capitan and all the data. Then update to Sierra if you want.

5. DSTOFEL thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed information. I kind of suspected there was more to it than what I had listed in my post, but I didn't know exactly what I was missing. This is a great help. I'll pass it along to the person who bought my MBP. I'm just trying to help them out a bit as they are not that savvy with respect to Migration Assistant, Setup Assistant and Time Machine BU's and I'm just trying to help them avoid getting wrapped around the axle on all of this.

Just to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly: When I sold them my MBP (last night), I handed it over to them with a Fresh installation of Mountain Lion (ie as this is the version of OS X that came with my mid-1012 15 inch RMBP....so when I did the internet recovery to wipe out my SSD and reinstall OS X before giving it to them, this is the version of OS X that loaded). Are you saying they should not even setup the new MBP under Mountain Lion, but instead first turn the MBP on by holding down command-option-r boot to recovery (this is different than command-r recovery) and select your wifi. Then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads......then follow the remainder of the process you outlined?

Thanks again,

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... precisely. :)

7. DSTOFEL thread starter macrumors 6502

Great...thanks!