New Macbook PRO - Terrible, terrible frikkin' Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimi94941, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dimi94941, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010

dimi94941 macrumors regular

I bought my new 2010 unibody 15'inch MBP...

First: battery.

I fully drain the battery and then charge it and it still says I have 3, 4 hours tops left.

The whole system is so damn slow. It's freezing constantly. My friend has older and weaker iMac but his "Application folder" on dock opens so smoothly, but mine not. And I have way more powerful MBP. Not to mention iDVD and other applications (all of them), which are so Goddamn slow. Even when I open application and when application is suppose to jump a little bit when you click on it = well it stops for a second. God, I'm so pissed!

coconout app tells me my MBP is 22 weeks old.

So, whata hell am I suppose to do?

Would formatting OS X help?

Please guys, help me, I can't possibly live with myself knowing I just spend 2,300 Euros for plain nothing.

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I hope you bought it from Apple, or at least an authorized reseller. If it's new, you have a year of AppleCare. Use it. Make an appointment with the "Genius", and show them the problem.

In the meantime, have you taken any corrective measures? Booted into safe mode? Reset the SMC and PRAM? Corrected permissions?

Fire up Activity Monitor (Go > Utilities > Activity monitor) and see if a particular process is nomming up CPU time.

And yes, a reinstall would not be a bad thing. You do have a backup, right?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Was this MBP new from Apple, a 3rd party seller or some random guy?

4. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did bought it from authorized reseller. New, from the store. I would use Apple Care and have a meeting with Genius, but here, in Europe, people working there are dumber then me considering Mac (because I'm a first time user).

I haven't taken the measures you've mentioned, but I did looked the CPU and it seemed OK, and I did run OnyX app and also, it seemed to be fine.
    I don't have a backup, since I just bought a computer 2 days ago, but I can make it with Time Machine.

5. fsumom macrumors regular

I don't really have any advice to offer other than calling Apple support. I just received a new MBP 13" and haven't had any issues that you've described although I haven't tried any major applications on it yet.

6. karohan macrumors 6502

Coconut battery's age is 22 weeks because that's giving you the age of the battery. That's typical because the battery was produced before your Mac was assembled.

Is the Applications stack choppy on the Nvidia graphics as well? Try using gfxCardStatus to put your laptop on only Nvidia and compare it to the animation with only Intel/Dynamics Switching to see if it's any different. It should still be a little choppy, but much smoother. Are you sure the Application stack animation is really smooth on an old iMac? Is it the same animation with the rectangular tiling or is it just the list?

Your battery rating is going to be lower than the length of time your battery actually lasts. Actually let it run down fully and time how long it lasts. Also make a note of what you're doing. If you're web browsing and word processing, expect between 5 and 7 hours. If you're doing a lot of flash multimedia viewing and processor intensive stuff expect between 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 hours.

7. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds a little suspicious, but it depends entirely on what you're doing. With the screen dimmed and bluetooth off, I get about 6 hours on mine with light use (light surfing, word processor, etc.)

Desktop machines have much much faster hard drives. Did you upgrade to either the 7200 rpm hard drive or SSD?

Really, it's a problem with laptops in general. Even if you get one with a faster processor, the hard drives give the desktops an inherent advantage. My Macbook Pro is a 3 ghz, and my Mac Pro a 2.8 ghz, but my Mac Pro easily beats my Macbook Pro every time because of the drive speeds.

8. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

I switched to Nvidia and it's... pretty much the same. Yes, friend's iMac was so smooth, I really couldn't believe it... and he has rectangular tiling, not the list.

No, I haven't change nothing, I have the default 7200 rpm 500 GB SATA disk.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would do a restore. Use the gray disc and 'write zeros' in disk utility then reinstall OS X.

Is this a Core i5 / 4GB RAM / 7200 500GB?

10. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

It's Core i7 / 4GB RAM / 7200 500GB.

Write zeroes? :)

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

I would first of all calm down, then try asking for help.
    What kind of scientific test have you conducted to determine that your MBP is performing horrible? Have you done any tests? Geekbench, AJA System, etc?

It could very well be a slow HDD, or even a faulty HDD. Do some proper tests then jump on conclusions.

12. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Screen shot of your activity monitor with list sorted by cpu usage?

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You insert the Mac OS disc that came with the computer. Restart holding 'c' for several minutes until languages appear. Quit the setup and in the menu find 'Disk Utility'. In here you select your HD and erase (7-Pass is preferred, but the one above works too). This could take hours. When it finishes install OS X starting with language screen you saw before.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11376894&highlight=#post11376894

14. goMac macrumors 603

The default drive is 5400 rpm, not 7200 rpm.

(Not saying it's a not a 7200 rpm, just clarifying, it wouldn't have shipped that way.)

15. dimi94941, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, and how can I check that?

EDIT: OMG, I just checked, and yes, it is 5400 rpm. I'm so confused, I'm pretty sure the store said 7200 rpm lol. :)

16. moel macrumors 6502

Yeah...go and see your Apple store..I hardly think that saying that the 'people working there are dumber then me considering Mac' isn't a hugely helpful attitude.

If it's an apple store then your laughing, if it's an 'authorised reseller' then they will still know what they are doing. Please go ask and see them, rather than having a bitch.

17. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

I hear you, but you can be sure that I wouldn't make such a statement if I hadn't see them first hand. I live in a very small European country, and all of us (who live in Slovenia), who are Mac owners suffer for this and here, computers are 97% Windows based. I will consider going to Italy to check it out...

18. Inside_line macrumors regular

Return it, buy a machine from apple.com.

I bought my machine in July from apple.com and my "age of your mac" is 18 months... sounds like you got an older machine than I did some 3-4 months ago.