Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141531-mbp_lineup_early_2011.jpg

Business Insider reports that Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has just released a new research note sharing data from NPD on Apple's first quarter Mac and iPod sales in the United States. According to the data, Apple's new MacBook Pro released in late February led to a tremendous surge in Mac sales during the month of March, with total Mac unit sales up 47% year-over-year.

That strong performance follows 20% year-over-year growth in January and 12% growth in February, yielding a cumulative year-over-year Mac growth rate of 27% for the quarter. Consequently, Munster estimates quarterly Mac sales at close to 3.7 million units, slightly ahead of Wall Street consensus estimates. Apple shipped just under 3 million Macs in its March quarter last year, a quarter that is usually one of Apple's lighter sales periods following strong back-to-school sales in the September quarter and holiday sales in the December quarter.

On the iPod side, NPD's data suggests quarterly sales of 9.8-10.3 million units, in line with Wall Street estimates and down 5-10% from last year as Apple's maturing iPod line continues to shrink as consumers increasingly turn to the iPhone and iPad for their needs. Munster notes that the iPod data is somewhat less accurate than the Mac data, given the high international representation in iPod sales and NPD's focus on only the U.S. market.

Apple is set to announce earnings this Wednesday at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern Time after the stock market close.

Article Link: New MacBook Pro to Drive Strong First Quarter Mac Sales Growth?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The Core 2 anguish is over.

Not quite yet. I wonder how many MacBooks Apple is selling right now (I mean the MacBook with nothing after its name, not the MacBook Pro. Small rant: Why do they have product names like that, where you have to give a length explanation that you mean one specific product, and not the generic name? )

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
My 15" MBP is "on vehicle for delivery" for the past 6 hours. It's been driving me crazy.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
$4300 of that is from me buying a fully equipped 17inch MBP.

I love the MacBook Pros, but spending $4,300 on any consumer laptop is overkill. And good Lord, how did you get it up that high? Did you pay for the highest Apple RAM option and all other options along with it?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
This product should do well. First the quad core option is making people want to upgrade. Later as thunderbolt drives come out, that will be another incentive.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I love the MacBook Pros, but spending $4,300 on any consumer laptop is overkill. And good Lord, how did you get it up that high? Did you pay for the highest Apple RAM option and all other options along with it?

8GB is "just" a $200 upgrade, I'm guessing he either went with the 512GB SSD or he's counting preloaded software and AppleCare.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not quite yet. I wonder how many MacBooks Apple is selling right now (I mean the MacBook with nothing after its name, not the MacBook Pro. Small rant: Why do they have product names like that, where you have to give a length explanation that you mean one specific product, and not the generic name? )
Good old plastic is still around but I am hoping that it will be updated soon enough.

I am already looking forward to Llano from AMD and the Alienware M14x.

Th3Crow

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Stock hit

More good news - I guess that means my stock will take another hit in the strangely paradoxical market.

speedylomeli

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Not Good?

For some reason I like it the way it is. I feel that owning a mac puts me in special selected group and if to many people start buying mac's to a point were windows machines and mac's are on par in sales, then all hell will break loose. Mac's will be like windows machines. I will have to install virus protection and be paranoid like on my windows machines even though I have a BS in Networking.

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009

Well, I spent $3200 (including sales tax) on mine. I suspect that the difference between his and mine is that I didn't get an expensive SSD. I just opted for the 7200 RPM drive. But I did max out the RAM and get the matte screen. I also got the faster CPU, which was probably not a worth-while investment, but oh well.

As a power user, I can tell you that the extra RAM makes a HUGE difference. I came from 3GB in my 2007 model to 8GB in the new one, and now the system can handle all the extra apps and Safari tabs I always have open. The CPU speed is also noticably faster.

Besides the CPU option, I thought carefully about what I wanted, for how I was going to use the machine. I basically need a portable desktop machine, with lots of RAM. I basically do everything on this computer, so I wanted to make sure it was going to serve me well for the next 3 or 4 years.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
ZOMGosh but I thought Apple was a consumer electronics/Phone and Tablet maker they don't make computers anymore

....or so I was told.......:rolleyes:

For some reason I like it the way it is. I feel that owning a mac puts me in special selected group and if to many people start buying mac's to a point were windows machines and mac's are on par in sales, then all hell will break loose. Mac's will be like windows machines. I will have to install virus protection and be paranoid like on my windows machines even though I have a BS in Networking.

Wow really? You think that after a magical certain number of users OS X will lose it's UNIX heritage and everyone's computer will magically be turned into an NT (Windows) derivative?

Seriously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.