New MacBook Pro to have MacBook Air Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twilight Elk, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

According to MacDailyNews, the new MacBook Pro, which is nearing the time frame for an upgrade, is rumored to adopt the MacBook Air-style keyboard.

I don't particularly believe it, plus I'm sure it had been discussed at one point in the forum, but I just found the article interesting.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

4. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

ditto..

I like the current keyboard.:apple:

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I like the current one once its broken in...can't say I hate the macbook style...although I certainly used to.

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

7. Fenir macrumors regular

Interesting scenario here...

I love the current keyboard.

Say they go to the new keyboard (just a rumor after all). I would opt to get one of the current Penryn books over it, thus making my waiting game void and a waste of everyones time.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe that apple will eventually unify the design and go with the MB, MBA, Keyboard (wired and wireless) design for the MBP. makes the most sense. it won't make everyone happy, but it'll solidify the design, its the obvious design that they're going for in any event imo.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

As long as its still silver like the current MBP keyboards, and not black like the Air, it will be nice.

The current MBP keyboard isn't that great.

10. kuribohbabylon macrumors member

Well if you stop and think about it, the black on silver that they went with on the MacBook Air is the same look as the original TiBook back in the day, so it wouldn't surprise me to see black keys on the new MacBook Pro especially if they are going for the iMac type look with more black.

11. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

Well bad news, yesterday when I was in the store exchanging my MBP I ask one of the guys about that and I think they are going to change the keyboard which I think is going to be horrible, hopefully I have the actual MBP so I don't have to deal with the cheap look of the new MBP!!!:cool:

12. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I also like the current setup so I hope there r no changes in this area.

13. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i used to like the chiclet keys on the macbook, but after i got my MBP i cant even use my wireless kb.. i type much faster on the MBP because the keys are closer and curved a bit

14. alxths macrumors 6502

I'm sure however they change the keyboard it'll be sturdy and professional looking.

Nevertheless I'm with the people that don't care about a case redesign. I just want some slightly improved innards before I make the jump.

15. Fenir macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they bump the baselines MBP's Video Card as well and i'm happy. (And hopefully the screen issues are a thing of the past as well).

16. Eric. macrumors regular

I use the aluminum keyboard on my PC and love it. I'd rather have the current keyboard on the MBP though. Mostly for the sake of aesthetics. If they put a black one on there I think it ruins the entire professional look that the MBP has. I think the chiclets board in silver would still bring it down some, but I find the MBA to look horrible with its black keys.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I hope not too.. I love the mbp's keyboard and I've owned the macbook and macbook air too.. the macbook air's keyboard is fine just for an ultraportable but I think nothing can beat the mbp's keyboard + I think the mba's keyboard looks ugly.

18. icepick1985 macrumors member

I really hope they'll do.

To be honest, the only reason why I'm waiting for a new macbookpro is because of the new keyboard. I dont' like the current one.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I love the macbook pro keyboard. I used to hate it till I used it more. Just like I used to love the mac wireless keyboard...until I used it more...

I always use an external keyboard anyway as I am a vicious typer and litterally blow through keyboards like you wouldnt believe. Ive had my macbook pro for about 2 months and I literally have only used my keyboard a few hours (the one on the laptop) and my space bar key already has signs of wearing. (No this is not the keyboard quality its my typing)

Ok, enough of that tangent I think the silver curved keys are nicer myself...

20. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I hope they don't, otherwise i won't buy them anymore.

21. bov macrumors 6502

hmmm i like both keyboards, but i think the MBP should either keep the current design, or an improved one in the same style. I think the MBP should be different and superior to the MB and MBA designs ! :D

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The MBA keyboard is, by far, the best keyboard I have ever used on a computer. Not just a laptop, not just a Mac, but a computer - period.

The current MBP keyboard is nice enough, sure, but it's not great. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it's not really very good at all compared to some of the PC laptops available out there at the same price point. Yes, it does look pretty.

Bringing the MBA keyboard over to the MBP would be a massive improvement and I hope it happens. Those of you who don't like change will either have to suck it up or stick with what you've got :p

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

24. devman macrumors 65816

devman

+1

25. Skyldig macrumors regular

I hope this is true.

The current MBP keyboard is a pain compared to the one on my white MB. I also like the black/alu combination they are going for atm, though i hope that the black will not be as significant as on the iMacs.

Black keyboard, black top-logo and everything else in alu...