Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
On an unrelated note to my other post, the Nvidia chipset rumor being "confirmed" is extremely interesting. What does this mean for Apple's relationship with Intel? If they've stopped using a huge part of the Intel platform, all of a sudden it doesn't seem so ridiculous to have a few AMD options. While there have been no rumors as such, and I wouldn't expect them Tuesday, or next year, this is an interesting development.

While Intel does a better job with I/O functions, the single chip nature of the Nvidia chipsets are a model that Intel would be smart to follow.

What's more interesting is the size of the board. "Smaller" is a pretty ambiguous statement. How much smaller? Significantly so, or just screeching by Intel's?

Heat is another question. I'm embarassed to say that I don't know how hot my chipset runs off hand, and I'm not familiar with the usual heat of the intel equivalent. While I am thinking about desktop boards, the same principles are true across product lines often enough. Perhaps the next MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs, will run at a cooler temperature with a cooler chipset. Given this speculation, they could also use a cooler chipset to shoehorn in a hotter graphics card.

Baseless speculation is fun.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
This thread is a gross overreaction. Did you ever consider that with the current MBP we are shoving current technology into a six-year old shell?
Current technology ≠ Powerful technology. GMA X4500 is current technology.

Between advances in materials and a redesigned interior that allows exacting distribution of heat it is unfair to suggest this more advanced MBP will step backward.
It is a backwards step in that a same-thickness MacBook Pro (as well as PC notebooks) would take an even bigger step forwards.

Just think they can design every bit of the casing to vent the newer GFX cards. They can incorporate fans in improved locations that require less intervention.
Just think with a thicker case how much more they could do, given what you've said. 2x CPU and GPU performance anyone (for much less than 2x the thickness)?

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
i get this nagging felling that apple is going to stick with the 8600m's ...

That would be sad! I won't be getting one if that's the case. There is already a 512MB 8600 in this one so there's no point getting the same thing again.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
im guessing the screen bezel will be a lot thinner than the current but the lower casing holding most of the electronics and giving off the most heat will only be a little thinner maybe less than .1". so im guessing it will be around 0.8" but the lower casing will still be around the same thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.