New Macbook Pro worth the wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NavySEAL6, Aug 8, 2009.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

My computers getting old and its about time for a new macbook pro. I like the new ones, but I've heard that there will be different processor architecture in the next update. Is this true? If so is it worth the wait? When will it be coming out? Thanks for the help

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How could we know?

If it's Clarksfield, no. If it's Arrandale, yes.

How could we know?

3. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

If you use this train of thought, then technically you should never buy a computer because a newer and better one will always be coming out.

It's different if we're a couple of weeks away from an update, but especially after an update like we've just seen, I would just go ahead and order.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

^ Exactly

Buy now. Apple just released a VERY hot selling set of MBPs....you think there just going to update them within 4 months?

IMO, they'll ride out this sales boom as long as they can. Upgrading them will only hurt their profit margins.

5. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Hey...

Like any consumer business, Apple has development ongoing but we don't know what the cycle will actually turn out to be.

We only have a history to work off and a guesstimate.

Really depends on what you do. There will be some added features but that too is to be expected.

Bottom line, for about 85-90% of users, the current Macbook Pro will kick much butt.

That 7 hour battery is a very large improvement too IMHO.
    (Is processing power going to override that for most folks? Doubt it.)
    :cool:

6. borcanm macrumors regular

If Apple does come out with a new MacBook Pro, its probably going to come out in late October/early November. I have the same MBP as you and I want to replace mine as well, but im going to wait until they come with 4 core cpus.

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Apple won't update until Feb 2010. Just follow their update pattern. The new architecture won't be out until late 2009. There won't be another update this year

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

This.

I look forward to 4 cores, but won't buy Rev A do to concerns I have over heat

9. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

If what you're looking at now does the trick for you, then buy it.

Even if the machine gets updated with new processors, the one you have specifically will not slow down.

Also, a lot of software isn't necessarily written to take advantage of all 4 cores in the newer processors yet, unless you use very professional software (I believe Final Cut Pro is an example).

You can buy one now, enjoy it for a few years, and then move on to something a bit more powerful. If you need it now, buy it. If you don't, then don't. =)

10. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

Yup. I recently went to a quad core processor on my Hackintosh and despite the extra cores and a few hundred MHz faster speed I noticed absolutely no difference in anything but programs that rely heavily on multithreaded CPU calculations, like video rendering, 3D rendering (not the same as games for the record) or audio recording with lots of fx/soft synths etc. On the Windows side the few games that can use more than two cores did get a speed boost but those are still a minority.

On your everyday programs you won't see any difference and the current Macbooks are plenty for those. Honestly I'm far more interested in any new usability features the next generation of Macbooks might have than the processor architecture change.

The current Macbook Pros are the best yet and they are pretty solid now, with most of the major problems fixed. The new architecture may bring a whole new bag of issues so why not avoid all that and get a powerful, pretty, easy to use and full featured machine now?

12. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

If I was the OP I would wait as you don't want to be buying old technology.

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I have been debating getting a refurb 15.4" uMBP for 1299 which is a great deal imo but I have decided to wait until Feb. since I have an iMac which works fine.

ChrisN

14. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

If it does what you need, buy it and stop swooning over new stuff until what you have no longer gets the job done.

In 3+ years when you decide to update, there will likely be awesome stuff available that no one even knows the name of.

15. sdragon macrumors member

I agree. The next major processor revision comes out around the end of the year, so there's likely to be a big update in Q1 2010.

However, from previous experience, I would also be a little hesitant to buy that Rev A.

16. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If you don't need it now and can wait you can either get something better or just save a couple hundred buying a refurb or clearance on a different website.

ChrisN

17. TheRekz macrumors regular

If you really need a computer/laptop right now why wait? Just get one right now.. but if you're not in such a hurry then I'd suggest wait till early January/February to buy one. Follow this topic as well

18. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

The current uMPB's can hardly be called "old technology"! LOL!

Heck, my Penryn MBP "Classic" isn't old technology as far as I'm concerned.

19. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I'd buy now...and I did. I have my new MBP....no regrets.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah same here. processors are same, new ones just have a little faster ram and diff. gfx

21. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

You could wait for the next revision, but what will you do if Apple does not include USB 3.0 or FireWire 3200? People will be saying "wait until the next revision you have to have USB 3.0 and FireWire 3200" or " don't buy Rev A Apple products wait for Rev B". You wait again and you finally get USB 3.0 and FireWire 3200 but all of sudden the "Who's waiting for Sandy Bridge?" thread starts on MacRumors and your now contemplating waiting for that revision. It is a never ending cycle with Apple products and MacRumors, if you visit this site everyday and read the threads you may never buy anything with all the speculation.

These current machines are well built, very capable, and have most of the bugs worked out. If your not a professional who uses heavy apps then I doubt you will notice that big of a difference from these machines compared to the next revision with everyday tasks.

22. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

I say buy. Buy now. Heck get two of em. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. A life lived without a uMBP is a life lived not at all. Or you could wait for the next greatest one to come out and then, wait for the next greatest one to come out after that one....but they may hint at a better one..soooo.

23. Sufentafix macrumors newbie

Given todays rumour: The next MacbookPro might (probably) get BluRay ...

24. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I doubt this ALOT

25. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Sure it could, in Feb 2010. We'll see as there are no slot-loading Blu-Ray drives that could fit into a MacBook Pro on the market