Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I honestly believe that this batch of MBP is solid and if you've been waiting - go and purchase now. I know thats the first thing I'm doing once I return from deployment in two weeks.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I believe in waiting as long as you can -- if you have a computer that is currently working. It's not about anticipating the next revision, its about economy and waste. If you replace your computers too often you just end up spending a lot more money unnecessarily.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
So the odds of blu Ray in the next revision of the MacBook pros will most likely not have blu Ray? This Is a huge selling point. If not then I will purchase a MBP now.

Also, if they made External blu Ray drives, would that easily connect to the MBP

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
So the odds of blu Ray in the next revision of the MacBook pros will most likely not have blu Ray? This Is a huge selling point. If not then I will purchase a MBP now.

Also, if they made External blu Ray drives, would that easily connect to the MBP

If you want to watch Blu-Ray, you're still out of luck using an external drive. The MPAA a$$holes have so much DRM on it, it's not even funny. The MBP screens are not hdcp compliant, so you can't watch Blu-Ray on it anyway.

Blu-Ray could be on the next revision, but it'll be a while before those MBPs come out. so, if you need it now, buy it. I just bought a 15" myself, and I couldn't be happier

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
So the odds of blu Ray in the next revision of the MacBook pros will most likely not have blu Ray? This Is a huge selling point.

I really wonder if this will be such a huge selling point. I guess this is your appreciation of the situation.

This blu ray still has to make it to market before we get purchased movies from things such as iTunes. I have observed that it has been having a slower start than DVD where I live.

minusten

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
I don't have one myself, but a friend who has one tells me it was worth the wait. His best ever Mac purchase was how he described it!

chan2004

macrumors regular
I will wait for the next release of MBP

Reason being
1) my MB is only one year old and it works fine.
2) Is looking for the new architechture and the new OS.
3) Looking for a matte screen and a 512MB graphics card as a standard

Blu Ray doesn't matter to me as i store all my entertainment stuff in my three hard disks.

Only reason to buy MBP now is this one is really solid and looks good. Also, if your current system won't last for another 6 months.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Nobody knows (except for apple) what will happen in the refresh (if there even is one). For all we know, we may just get a new screen, and a RAM upgrade to 1333mhz woop-de-doo!

I say, if you want one now, just go ahead and buy one now, why wait? Personally I bought one of the mid-2009 MBP's and they really are solid, great performance, great screen, great design. There's nothing wrong with them.

Chances are too, Apple may just do a processor bump again, but don't expect quad cores or something amazing, as if new chips are coming out, I'm sure Apple knows this and will be waiting for solid versions to come out, they aren't a company that just rushes out for the new chips, as if they turn out to be unstable = bad rep for apple.

L0s7man

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
I'm still waiting for matte. Maybe in October? I "could" buy 17", but it's not worth it. If it was a step up in terms of hardware (better GPU, RAID 0, etc), it would be great. But as it stands it's exactly like 15" MBP, just bigger...

And GPU update would be in order too. GT130, GT160? NVIDIA had bunch of new GPUs released a while ago... Or something better? Switch to ATI (why not?) Apple's OpenCL implementation will work on ATI and NVIDIA GPUs alike.

USB3.0, ExpressCard2 and quad core processors would be nice.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
If you use this train of thought, then technically you should never buy a computer because a newer and better one will always be coming out.

It's different if we're a couple of weeks away from an update, but especially after an update like we've just seen, I would just go ahead and order.

This.

In 3/6/9 months there will always be one that is cheaper/faster/better.

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
I have been debating getting a refurb 15.4" uMBP for 1299 which is a great deal imo but I have decided to wait until Feb. since I have an iMac which works fine.

I had to make the same decision - but I don't have another computer on me so I would've had to either keep the unibody MacBook I managed to sell for $900 (and it would've depreciated fast) or buy something else to hold me over until the Arrandale MBPs came out.

The decision was pretty easy for me, as I can't foresee myself wanting to spend more than $1400 on a laptop at any point in the future. Also, part of the reason I wanted a MBP was the dual graphics card setup and, who knows, the next release may retain only an integrated card for the entry-level setup.

I can't help but think that $1300 for the 2.4 refurb is too good a deal to pass up.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I really wonder if this will be such a huge selling point. I guess this is your appreciation of the situation.

This blu ray still has to make it to market before we get purchased movies from things such as iTunes. I have observed that it has been having a slower start than DVD where I live.

BD has surpassed DVD at the exact same stages. This is a selling feature for other computers, just not mac's so just don't dismiss it because apple hasn't gotten on board. I personally will pick one up when BD burner is offered and is supported natively in the OS.

zombieflanders

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
BD has surpassed DVD at the exact same stages. This is a selling feature for other computers, just not mac's so just don't dismiss it because apple hasn't gotten on board.
True. There are two factors here:

1) Blu-ray is in direct competition with an Apple service (i.e. iTunes). The caveat for Jobs et al is that adoption by a wider spectrum of users would require a massive upgrade to the Internet infrastructure in every major country outside of S Korea and Japan. This is underway, but isn't expected to be universal for anywhere from 5-20 years.

2) DVD was the fastest-adopted video formats ever, by orders of magnitude. Adoption of Blu-ray is maintaining well, especially considering the lack of two major studios and several major hardware manufacturers for two years. Comparing the two is like comparing two Olympic contenders, one of whom holds every world record for 10 years running and the other who just broke into the world competition after recovering from partial paralysis.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Well what is the realistic time period that we would see a major macbook pro update? Also, when USB 3.0 is added will older devices be compatible? Im worried about buying a computer with an old standard that renders everything else I buy in the future worthless, or for that matter a computer with a new standard that renders my old things useless.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I was waiting for a matte option. Now that it's here, I just ordered a MBP 15" matte screen 3.06 GHz, 4 GB, 500GB 7200 RPM. I expect I'll use it for 2 1/2 yrs. which is about how long I used my current MBP.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
Well what is the realistic time period that we would see a major macbook pro update? Also, when USB 3.0 is added will older devices be compatible? Im worried about buying a computer with an old standard that renders everything else I buy in the future worthless, or for that matter a computer with a new standard that renders my old things useless.

Lately I haven't been keeping a close eye on what's happening next for the MBP and its updates, but I think you have very little to worry about if you buy now in regards to having things in the future rendered useless. I think it'll be far beyond your machine's life span before something becomes too old to be used widely anymore. Please don't take my word as if it were fact because I'm not completely sure of the details of things like USB 3.0, but speaking from a general sense of understanding, I think the machine that you could buy from Apple now would be more than capable of running devices well in the future.

The best advice that has also been suggested earlier was that, if you can wait then it might be beneficial for you, but if you need it now, then by all means buy it now, as further updates aren't going to diminish what you can get with this current line of notebooks. I'm gonna be in the market for a new notebook probably early to mid 2010, and by then, when I'll need a new notebook for college, there should fortunately be a rather substantial update. But if I were to need it now, then I'd definitely get it now, as long as money isn't an issue (it is though lol). I'm still running a MBP from maybe 2 or 3 years ago, and it still does what I need it to do for now. But I can't wait to upgrade :D

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
I just bought my MBP last weekend, idc if 4 cores is coming in February. I don't need 4 cores for a while, and especially with how good Snow Leopard will treat your cores, it will run even faster. I'm fine with this machine, its lovely.

jakespice

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
I dont ahve amacbook pro, and i certainly dont need one right now until starcraft 2 and diablo 3 comes out in 2010. so thats my reason to wait

jakespice

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
im gonna venture to say youll never need one if your buying decisions are made by games.

haha not only that, im also getting one for the simple fact my pc is about 5-6 years old and i know macs are popular for my making music with synthesizers and turntables, so its like perfect for me.

'til then im just making music at home, im not portable yet

IndigoSensor

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Bozeman, MT
They just released antiglare for the 15", that is a seller for me.

I got a new lappy because my current computer (a 2003 toshiba sattalite... what a LEMON, the motherboard in this thing started smokking then exploded once) is a peice of crap and struggles to run wordprocesser now. I don't have the option to wait anymore. I would just get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.