New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erickg, Oct 24, 2011.

1. erickg macrumors 6502

Is it me or do the Macbook Pro's have updated specs on Apple Store?

I attached a screenshot in case it's pulled...

Attached Files:

2. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Not only you. I've seen this too. Pages not working properly yet and only a very minor update. Doesn't seem like they got rid of the optical.... :(

Hey, lower end 15" now has 512 mb of VRAM! Guess that's improvement...

3. yly3 macrumors 6502

Nice light update. 0.1 processor bumps everywhere, finally a good GPU in the base 15, and a better (?) one of the high-end.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Moan

Just bought my 17" REALLY mad, as I was told "No updates soon":mad: Somebody's head is going to roll.

5. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

If you bought it within the past two weeks or so, I'm sure they'll be able to swap it out for you. You may pay a restocking fee in which case I'm not sure it's worth it, but they may be able to waive that too...

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Damn you beat me to making a thread :D
    I posted it before you though on another thread :D

Pretty nice upgrade!

not only 512MB but also the HD 6750M!! the 6490M from the base 15" before was like a third of the performance of the 6750M. So definitely a huge improvement! :)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks

I;m going to phone my Guru later....It's the top spec 17" with 16GB Ram, I guess if I calm down a little, the older I7 is still a fast machine.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

I got a new base 13" just over a month ago. For me, this upgrade wouldn't have been worth waiting for. Is it a huge upgrade for the 17"?

9. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

All credit to you for posting it first! I'm just glad I wasn't seeing things... usually expect a front-page post on Macrumors before I see it on the Apple Store. ;)

Since you ordered such a high-end machine, they may be understanding and want to do right by you. I've had some exceptional experience with Apple's service and support... just explain the situation calmly, mention that you were informed there wouldn't be updates soon and that you're disappointed that your new mac is no longer new... I'm sure they'll be able to do something for you.

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

no not a huge update, but I understand his frustration. Id want the newer one aswell if would've just bought the one before. Just for the sake of it :D

11. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

so they did update the gpu...I wonder how much a of difference via games?

12. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

No kidding! If I bought the latest and greatest macbook pro (and upped the RAM to bloody 16GB to boot!) I'd definitely be disappointed for even the most minor upgrade a week later. Doesn't make the now last gen 17" any less of a beast though... ;)

13. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Credit is going back to you mate, saw that i posted at 1 min after you :D
    Yeh same, I didn't think we would see it before MacRumors :D

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They KNow Me Pretty Well

And I did get a £300.00 Discount on the newbie. Still he must have known.

15. The-Pro macrumors 65816

not much of a difference. If you would've overclocked the 6750M from the last models, you woudl have the same performance as the 6770M now.

16. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha... well, we can share the credit... 1 minute could've easily been a few seconds lag in your internet connection. ;)

That's awesome... I hope you get to keep the £300 discount AND they upgrade you to the latest 17"... :D

17. vmachiel macrumors 68000

It's not there yet if you go via the mac page and click on buy now.
    Only when you go directly to the store:)

18. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Can Hope

Or dream:)

19. abeld61014 macrumors member

Can somebody advise me on the 13 inch, is it worth getting the more expensive model of the two, is there a huge improvement between them.

Main uses are surfing, listening to music, word processing and giving presentations at work.

Thanks

20. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nice!! Buying it now! :D

21. abeld61014 macrumors member

Perhaps it would be more worth my while buying the base model then spending the £300 i would save on getting a good SSD and installing it myself ?

22. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

You'd barely notice the difference at all. Unless you're doing processor intensive stuff (Photoshop, encoding of music/video files, rendering, etc.) you're not going to notice a significant difference. If you later feel you need more power, you can upgrade the hard drive to a 500 or 750GB 7200RPM drive for about 100 bucks and upgrade to 8GB Ram, but this is a seriously powerful machine and for the uses you mentioned you'll never find yourself wanting.

23. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Go for the base model. For what you do, is more than enough. Regarding to the HDD 750GB, you can always upgrade it afterward. I believe 500GB is enough for your needs for now :)

Good luck with your decision.

24. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

An SSD would make a HUGE difference in performance... you could even keep the regular hard disk installed for storage and use something like this to add a 128GB SSD for the operating system and all your applications.

Having said that, even the base model as it stands would more than suffice for your needs.

25. abeld61014 macrumors member

Thanks guys, you are correct, any mac, even past macs would be enough for what i require, however i am looking to build up a machine which i wont need to change for a while (i know ivybridge might change my mind later :D)

But going for the base model which i have decided to do will give me some money to play with, i have been advised that getting an SSD will improve my performance significantly in comparison to doubling the amount of RAM, would you agree ?