New Macbook Pro's - BAD For Daily Outside Use?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Jul 14, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've heard the new Aluminum Macbooks have a really shiny, glossy screen.

Uh oh.

See, I work outside just as much as I do inside.

Even right now as i'm typing this i'm outside, 10am, bright day.

This could be outside as simple as the outside of a Starbucks, out in the park, even at times in my car if the project calls for it.

I'm using my white macbook, the brightness of the screen on a low setting to preserve the battery and its not too bad; I can still read all the text i'm current typing, I could even watch a podcast video, though admittedly more enjoyable with a brighter screen. With the brightness all the way up it looks great, with hardly a reflection.

So, if I get the new Alum. Macbook, working outside = bad?

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

They have a longer battery life so turning up the screen could be viable?

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I don't think so...I mean leaving it out in the sun is bad, but sitting outside for awhile, I don't think so.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hmm, I pretty much meant about the gloss/shiny screen, believing it would be a problem getting work done, not being able to see things on the screen before seeing my reflection.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I don't think it would be any worse than your white macbook you're using now.

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

It does get a bit reflective in direct sunlight....Ok a lot refelctive lol...But on maximum brightness or just a few ticks under it its not a big deal at all. I use mine in direct sunlight at 2 notches under full brightness and it looks fine.

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Sorry I guess that question just didn't make a whole lot of sense considering you are using a mac in the sun as we speak. You don't have to get mad at me for misreading what you are saying.

8. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I'd avoid the mbp like the plague if you are going to be using it outside. I have compared a macbook white and 13" mbp side by side and the whitebook is by far the easiest to read and type on (its the reason that I am going for the whitebook over the mbp!):)