New MacBook Pros to use "Pentolobular" screws?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Feb 21, 2011.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Any idea, will the new MacBook Pros employ these newly-fashonable "Pentolobular" style screws that make the machine 10,000 harder to get into? The MacBook Air uses them, and every new iPhone shipping now is using these screws. They are an odd, flower-star shape and require a very-hard to acquire "specialized" screwdriver in order to take these screws out. They are not Torx-5 security screws, they are different. I hear that MacFixIt sells a kit for undo-ing these screws, but it's a hack, it's a driver that will work, but it's not the correct driver for the pentolobular screw, with their kit you can still strip your screws.

All the current MacBook Pros use standard Phillips 00 size screws, and older PowerBooks used Torx-8 screws, but the driver could be easily acquired for this work.

I sure hope Apple doesn't use Pentolobular screws to make upgrades a hassle on the new MBP....I hope they stick with standard Phillips screws. But....it's a high possibility that we might see these odd-shaped screws on all new Macs, since they are the hardest screws in the market to hack, currently. Keep our fingers crossed!

2. Sarngate macrumors regular

If every MacBook was to start shipping with these there would be an easily available screwdriver in about 5 seconds, the profit to be made would be huge.

3. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Maybe you don't know what an odd size and shape this is, you can't find this driver ANYWHERE.

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Sure -- why not.

They won't stop until they figure out how to use some kind of screw with the number of lobes equal to some kind of irrational, transcendental number. :mad:

The screws will look blurry to the human eye and you'll need a screwdriver with a tip that exhibits macro-level quantum mechanical properties to undo them. :eek:

ifixit.com will offer a solution within two weeks. :D

5. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, the real question is will Apple continue to consider RAM and HD user replaceable parts. With the current generation, even though you have to remove screws, it's the user's right to upgrade/replace those parts without voiding the warranty on the rest of the machine. If they switch screw types then that's probably no longer the case.

There's a different sort of expectation of upgrade-and-serviceability with a full size laptop, it would be a shame if Apple dropped that.

7. Sarngate macrumors regular

I've seen it, like i said if Apple puts it in all of their Macbooks the production of the screwdrivers will ramp up massively, it's fairly basic supply and demand.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I just googled. You can buy one on amazon for 5 bucks.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt they'll use it to access the "user replaceable parts" but deeper in the machine, they might.

10. Sarngate macrumors regular

lol

Topic over.

11. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

seriously. i don't see anything to worry about here. i doubt apple would change the screw types for the MBPs, but if they did, there are probably hundreds of places online where you could buy that kind of driver.

12. rjbruce macrumors regular

I'm more concerned about soldered RAM and the like vs an odd shaped screwdriver. As stated above, it won't take long for the mod/fixit community to get around the screws but if it's soldered RAM...you're screwed... :D

13. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

ha! good post!!

14. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I like this new screw head, its shape makes it less likely than a phillips to strip.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...until someone starts making them. This isn't the first time an odd screw has been made.

16. C01E macrumors member

C01E

If the internet existed in the late 1800's would people have freaked out at the idea of using phillips screws?

Think about it people...

(Answer, Yes they would, Then they build a driver for it, And look at us now! phillips EVERYWHERE!)

17. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

18. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

The price tags. :eek:;):D

19. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Anyone planning to open their MBP should have the tools they need before
    they start so paying 5£/$ for 1 new driver isn`t going to stop anyone.

Apple fancy themselves as a computer version of Audi (Sealed bonnets on some models and difficult to user-service).

Make `em whatever shape you like Apple, we`ll still take `em out ;)

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Good Call! :D

21. wct097 macrumors 6502

Were phillip's head screws designed with the intention of keeping one from taking them out? :apple:

22. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

actually this makes it even easier.

Before you actually have to look for the right sized torx screwdriver (T-whatever), now you just need to look for that weird screwdriver made for Apple.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I believe they were designed because flat head screws are retarded and strip if you even look at them wrong.

Torx screws were made to be different from philips, and now you don't seem to have anyone that has a problem with them being different. This is the same thing.

And seriously guys, its a different screw shape, buy the tool and quit complaining, its not as if the tools aren't out there for those that really want them.

24. wct097 macrumors 6502

Effectively doubling the surface area and ensuring better contact.... oh, and most could still be turned with a flat head driver. Plus the driver stays centered when you over-torque and cause the driver to slip or 'cam out'.

Not simply to be different, but to provide better control with more surface area, and no slipping (unlike phillips or flat).

Now the Torx with the circle in the center... those were designed to be different to make it less likely that someone could find a tool to use. 'Security' feature.

Agreed.

25. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I just looked at that one and i'm pretty sure it's too small to be use on a MBP.

It's made for an iPhone 4.