New macbook vs dell xps 400

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chipandtoast, Nov 24, 2009.

1. chipandtoast macrumors member

Ok a couple years ago between 2006-2007 not exactly sure when my dad bought a second family computer a new dell xps 400.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxps/en/sm/specs.htm#1105791

He upgraded the ram to the 2 gig max but kept everything else the same.

Well our other dell of about 6 years has gotten all virus filled and very slow so since that happened My parents were going to use the dell xps 400 and they gave me some money to get my own computer.

I was going to buy the $999 white macbook:apple: and was wondering if that would be faster than our dell xps 400.
    I would use this mac mostly for searching and online games like

bloons, age of war, flash games

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. chipandtoast thread starter macrumors member

I thought so but I got confused when I read

and that the new macbook
    was only

4. gaps macrumors member

gaps

If you are going to get the white Macbook for $999 you may want to look at Apple's refurbished store online. They usually have a Macbook Pro refurb for $999 which in my opinion is a better value than the White Macbook!

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What you'd get today is only a bajizillion times faster than than that Dell. Technology advances are quick.

6. cphirman macrumors newbie

Yes, the clock speed is higher, but that really doesn't tell the whole story. The macbook uses a core2duo which is the equivalent of 2 chips in one. Once you add that with a faster bus speed and faster memory, the macbook will leave the xps in the dust.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Think of it like this

you Macbook would have 2 processors running at 2.26ghz and your PC has one processor running at 2.8,3.0 or 3.2.

2.26x2 practically is over 4ghz and Mac os x is more efficient anyways so overall you are looking at a much faster computer.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Uh...that's almost entirely wrong, except for that conclusion regarding the Mac being faster. ;)

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Plus the macbook be ddr3 ram, not sure if the dell is.

Faster ram, and that macbook is brilliant. I know many who use it for logic express work and it runs like a charm

10. chipandtoast thread starter macrumors member

Ok I didn't know that the mac had two cores. lol I thought they just called dual core because it sounded cool. :)

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

Just to give you an idea about the system requirements for games, here are the ones for Modern Warfare 2: