New MacBook with thunderbolt and LED Cienima

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by email68, Feb 27, 2011.

1. email68 macrumors regular

Purchased a new MacBook and the 27" LED monitor.

Now I'm thinking it was a mistake to get the monitor since it won't pass the thunderbolt. Probably should have waited until they updated the monitor. But the time I thought of it, they had already shipped it.

2. skasol macrumors 6502

Return it.

3. dwhynman macrumors regular

I think the display is meant to be the terminal of the daisy chain. So it would be the other peripherals that you have that would need to "pass the thunderbolt".

4. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Yes return it, it might even well serve as a Thunderbolt Hub once they update it.

5. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

So could a USB hub potentially be a Thunderbolt device? Then it makes sense that the Cinema Display would pass only one cable over to a supporting MacBook Pro.

Otherwise I'm not sure what good it does to sit there and twiddle your thumb for actual Thunderbolt device support..

6. dwhynman macrumors regular

Everyone realizes that the Cinema Displays are brand new only in september did they come out. Apple does not update these very often and one may need to wait up to a year to see the update. if you need a display now just use it and like I said before the display is the terminal since these are meant to be daisy chained there is no need for hubs.

7. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll keep it since it was a work purchase. They gave x amount to spend on a computer. I would not be able to justify buying a $1000 monitor on its own it that makes any sense.

Too bad apple didn't have the line up ready.

8. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

The monitor has to be the last in the daisy chain. It will probably not ever get updated with thunderbolt ports.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the long term goal would be a Cinema Display that you connect to your MBP with one TB cable and the CD internally does the hub/conversion so the CD Firewire and USB ports would all access your MBP via the TB cable. I would be very surprised if Apple does not update the CD with this feature.

10. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't have to redesign the Cinema Display or anything. They just need to make a couple of small internal changes, and add a Thunderbolt port, which shouldn't be too hard at all. I think the LED Cinema Display will definitely be updated at some point in 2011.

11. dwhynman macrumors regular

I know it's not a redesign, but it is still an update and they don't update displays very often. Unless they decide to change the way thunderbolt works it is not even needed since they seem to like the daisy chain rather than a hub.

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. There'd probably also be one extra TB port on the CD also. I'm fairly certain Apple will try to push this out by the end of 2011, as to move their entire ecosystem to TB. If iPads might get TB, there's absolutely no reason the CD won't.

13. Affirmed macrumors member

Why is this so confusing to people? Your set up works perfectly. The monitor doesn't need Thunderbolt.

Once you actually buy a peripheral that uses Thunderbolt (i.e. a external hard drive) it will have 2 Ports. One for your Monitor and one for the cable that connects to your computer.

Once Thunderbolt makes it to Desktops, you will see a refreshed Monitor with Thunderbolt ports. Until then, Apple sees anything connected to a laptop as a peripheral and therefore daisy chaining through the external hard drive will be your solution.

I agree it's not perfect, but you are talking about a brand new technology and a I've yet to hear anyone who actually owns a Thunderbolt peripheral complaining that their monitor is plugged in to that, and not their laptop.

Most people that use an external monitor with a laptop don't carry it around. It sits on a desk and likely any other Thunderbolt peripherals (large storage Raids, etc) would stay where the monitor stayed as well. So who cares if the cable connecting to your laptop is coming out of the RAID instead of the monitor for now?

14. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I wish they would offer a smaller LED cinema display. 27-inch is too big. The 24-inch was perfect. Why they discontinued it is beyond me. That said, I think Apple will be able to revise the LED Cinema display and get rid of the USB cable since that part of the tech can be rolled into Thunderbolt, and offer additional Thunderbolt ports on the back of the display as well as keeping the USB there as well.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Normally you'd be correct, but you can bet your bottom dollar Apple will update the Cinema Display to have a couple ThunderBolt ports on it sooner rather than later.

This is a tech they have a serious interest in pushing forward and it makes too much sense to not put TB on the Cinema Display ASAP. This seems especially true since many have been griping about losing the Firewire port from the Displays for a while now.

All that said....for the OP...
    You could indeed just purchase a ThunderBolt external hard drive down the line and make your monitor an "end" to the daisy chain rather than a "middle" as someone else mentioned.

16. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Monitors will always be the end of the daisy chain on Tbolt so it will not matter. Not sure they will use Tbolt connections from the monitors. From what I have read monitor will be the closed end of the loop or last in the chain

17. dwhynman macrumors regular

+1

18. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Cinema Displays and iMacs use the same screen. You can still get a 24" from the refurb store.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

You guys are missing the point here.
    Apple loves "one cable solutions" (or no cables where possible).

With a MBP with just 1 ThunderBolt port, they'd love you to be able to run just one single cable to your MBP for Power, External Monitor and chaining other TB devices off the External Monitor. (perhaps not power for the computer)

This is the whole point of ThunderBolt...Not just speed, but a single cable for a lot of users needs.

This necessitates some TB ports on the external monitor.

20. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Then why isn't there a 21.5" Cinema Display?

21. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Monitors will be the end of the Thunderbolt chain, but not non-Thunderbolt devices such as USB and Firewire ports.

22. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Honestly if Apple pulled that trick and eliminated 3rd party monitors they would screw themselves to no end. Trust me many working photographers and video folks are NOT using Apple monitors. We are using NEC, Eizo and several others that are far better. I use a NEC 30 wide gamut.

End of day we will be just plugging our monitors into the back of a external Tbolt drive at the end of the chain. The External will be one wire to laptop.

23. 87am macrumors regular

I might be wrong, but I don't think you would be able to simply plug in the current CD at the end of a TB daisy chain. I believe it would be required to have a thunderbolt chip added to it for it to be compatible with such a set up.

24. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Just because the screen exists doesn't mean they have to make a product.

25. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Correct the Tbolt chain.

How this will work folks if you have Tbolt external drives lets say a LaCie 2tb drive that will directly connect to the Tbolt connection on your laptop. The monitor will plug into the other port on the LaCie. Now if you have more devices than they would be in the middle of all that but monitor will close the chain at the end. It's a lot like firewire and CF card readers which only have one port so they have to be at the end