New Macbook yesterday...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cmu93, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Cmu93 macrumors member

Hi all,

I received my new 2.4 Macbook yesterday, Amazon has a great rebate on them now, it was worth it for the 2.4. I know the illuminated keyboard isn't that important to many, but wow, is sure is nice.

Anyway, I'm very happy. None of the issues I heard about have affected me... no slanted keys, no fan noise, no dead pixels. This is a very impressive machine. I have/had a Macbook Pro and the new iMac, so this impressing me is just awesome.

One question, if someone can help me. I have VM Fusion on here and installed Vista no problem, (need it for work). But the graphics card is not reading as the 9400m... it's just some SVGA card. So, I can't run some programs looking for a better videocard, and the Vista Experience test is 1.0 due to it thinking it's a integrated card. Where are the drivers to let this know I have the 9400m in here?

Tom

2. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

Congratz man ..i also bought mine from Amazon it's just 7 days old and its flawless.. none of the defects people kept complaining about on here..im enjoying mine soo far and its my very fist mac and apple product..enjoy:)

3. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am much encouraged to hear about your MB.

I just ordered my MB and I'm very anxious with anticipation lol... great to hear that it's not all doom and gloom.

Enjoy the computer :)

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

heres what i see in system profiler (on my machine)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3343
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

VM Fusion doesn't report to Vista the correct graphics chip, hence you see the 1.0 rating. It's normal. I have the same thing. Also, don't be surprised if you don't see Aero in Vista, it isn't supported yet. Also, you don't need any drivers. Vista works fine using Fusion. IMO, Fusion has been on par or superb performance.

6. Cmu93 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, my Profile shows the same thing in Leopard... I was referring to Vista. I think the videos I saw of people were actually showing them off in Boot Camp... I'm not using Boot Camp. So, that's probably why it's not showing up.

I think I just figured it out... thanks all. And yes, this is beautiful, I love it.

Here's just a few pics before I dug in... it's placed on a 17" Alienware!

PICS

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You get a 1.0 rating because Fusion simply siphons off some of that 9400M power for Vista. If you were to run it in Boot Camp, which is native you would see a higher rating for the graphics, and it would allow you to play games or run other graphically intensive software if you so desired.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Im sorry, i misread your post! :)

9. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

11. Cmu93 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for all the help guys... this Macbook is just awesome. I blew out the Virtual version of Vista, and re-installed using Bootcamp. Works great, then I had VM Fusion use that Bootcamp partition for Vista inside Leopard. All is well.

Ran some FCE 4.0 on here, works great, also played a lot of Warcraft (in Leopard) with all my add-on's and that was excellent as well. No framerate issues at all! The whole time I did, the Macbook never even got warm.

T.