New macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordan eff, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

Hi

well today after having alot of trouble with 2 previous aluminum imacs i purchased a unibody macbook pro

I am looking for any tips and suggestions to get the best out of my macbook and keep it running fast and smooth
    any tips are much appreciated

thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If it isn't already, suggest maxing out the RAM. Also, looking for an SSD is a good option as you get much better performance.

3. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but i was meaning software wise etc, i don't have much luck even doing simple ram upgrades

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

download Onyx

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

it does maintenance on your computer. clears cache, repairs disc permissions. it also has some pretty cool options such as developer's mode that allows you to use widgets on the regular desktop.

5. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

VLC is a great video player.

i like google earth.

if you do bittorrent the best application i have used is Vuze. but transmission works great as well.

i will post them as i think of them.

7. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

thanks again

I have adobe photoshop CS for mac and for some reason after i install it an error message appears saying files are missing and i must reinstall photoshop but no matter how many times i install it i get the same message, any idea what the problem is

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

hate to ask this but is it a legal copy. send your response to me via private message if it isnt. other wise it could be that it needs an update. the same thing happened to me with pro logic. turned out that i needed to download an update for it.

9. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

no itslegal

it didn't work on my previous imac either

10. James Cole macrumors 6502

SSD apparently will make night and day difference...

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if a file is missing which it sounds like it is it doesnt matter what kind of hard drive he has.

i would contact Adobe and see what they say.

12. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

i just had a thought

i read about people doing fresh installs on the MBP so they can choose to leave out some unnecessary things like fonts and languages, is it possible to install from the OS X CD so that the current os is erased and the new one can be installed and what things would people recommend thats I leave out so I have more HD space etc

thanks

13. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

just wondering, can i delete the user guides in the HD, the ones that tell you all about the macbook(same as the instruction manuel you get in the box) and the one thats called Meet Leopard, its 132mb that i could use for something else :D

thanks

14. pyroo macrumors member

you can try to download "xslimmer" and get rid of any unused languages in all your apps...i saved 5GB worth of space by slimming down existing apps.

and max out ram!! it makes a lot of difference when you open a lot of programs

and for bittorent, i suggest using transmission because it uses so little memory.....but if your ISP throttles your torrent downloads, you'd have to use Vuze, which is also good, but uses a lot more resources

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea it does. it makes all but 400MB of inactive. not quite sure why it does this. the only way i can get back the 5GB of inactive memory is to restart my computer. anyone know why this happens with Vuze?

16. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on doing a fresh install in the future so I can cut out some of the fonts and unused languages, so like i said is it safe to delete those user guides :D

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

did you get CS4 to work?

18. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular