NEW Macbooks are contructed poorly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PNYOU, Oct 24, 2008.

1. PNYOU macrumors newbie

Hello, I Recently bought a mbp and i am on my second one which is great, but i have a feeling that these new macbooks are being constructed very poorly especially for being $2,000.00 laptops that are suppose to be top of the line. SO first off, my first mbp had a dent and scratch out the box on the outside rear, which i didnt notice until i looked closer. Then i tried to install some programs from disc and found out that i could not put the disc into the drive! something was blocking me from inserting the disc, it would go half way but then just stop like there was already a disc inside. i then found out that i had to put it in at an angle if it was to be inserted....which is just unacceptable for a 2 grand notebook!!! Okay then there was the bottom....so the battery cover was designed poorly as well..it does not stay on like it suppose to. i was able to shift it up and down..some other users are reporting this as well....and is very common i think. its on youtube. i actually
    found out by picking up my notebook and it actually almost slipped out of my hands!! okay and let see...oh yeah my keyboards were like crooked when i closely examined then.... so i returned it and got a new one because i was pretty upset at the quality of these new "unibody" laptops, the new one had fewer issues, but....the battery cover still can be moved slightly and the keyboards still felt like "cheap" plastic, i prefer the ones on the old mbp. and the trackpad is sometimes unresponsive which gets really old and annoying, . it wont register my movements if im typing for a few seconds...like right now, while im typing this it will be unresponsive once i go back to the trackpad...last but not least (hopefully last) the hinges on the screen do not line up flush with the system...it sticks out on the left side...
    so that about sums it up...these new macbooks In my opinion are a disappointment, i am to the point in regretting i ever bought an apple latpop. these new macbooks actually feel "cheap" to me because of all the little things that are going on with it. my sister has a dell and it doesnt have nearly this many issues. Well so i dont know whats going on but apple has lost focus or something and they are manufacturing laptops poorly...which is the total opposite of what i once thought about this "apple" company.
    sorry about grammar, punctuation, all the goodies, I am just a little frustrated. please understand and beware....

2. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

LOLs :rolleyes: so what are you gonna do?

It seems like everything that can be wrong, you found on your machine.

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Paragraphs my friend.

.. but really if it's that bad get it swapped again.

5. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Two tips : More paragraphs and use spelling checker.

Well, like other people say, just return it, why waste server space? ;)

6. benjs macrumors regular

I'm starting to think there are a lot of Microsoft employees on here :D

7. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

We shall hunt them down:)

8. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Try going to :apple:>System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Trackpad and deselecting "Ignore accidental trackpad input" and see if that alleviates your problem at all.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This reminds me of my idiot boss who loves to scream about his phone and Internet service from AT&T. I know part of the problem is he has zero people skills (his grand theory is bitch til they do it). Another part is he doesn't really understand technology (nor does he know this).

So basically you have someone who criticizes and yammers without really trying to fix a problem or facing reality. If this dude isn't some troll, here's a thought: Apple makes lemons! Everybody who makes anything has a few bad...ok, apples. People make mistakes.

The above guy should've returned the darn thing instead of just jumping on here and complaining. One computer doesn't make a trend. Sometimes you have a bad experience, but check the averages and stuff levels out. Apple has had the top customer service and satisfaction from places like Consumer Reports for a LONG time, even before I became a switcher.

10. PS65 macrumors regular

I find this very hard to believe on many levels.

11. James17 macrumors 6502

The quality of my brand new 15" 2.53GHz MacBook pro is quite frankly a disgrace. There are scratches on the side next to the ports which I can live with but to add to that there's a terribly loud noise coming from the fans no matter if you're working on it or leaving it idle.

This was actually supposed to be a replacement after having around 5 Penryn MacBook Pros which were all faulty, I had the vertical stripes issue, duffed 8600 graphics card and finally dents and scratches. I sent pictures of all the issues to Executive Relations. AppleCare say the noise coming from this 4 day old aluminum MBP is unacceptable. This computer costs £1,749 ($2700) and it comes with scratches and noises, it's disgusting!

I have a £700 Acer laptop I purchased in 2005 and it never came with cosmetic damage and I haven't had one single problem with it after 3 years. What's clear to me is that they don't ensure their most expensive laptops are of an extremely high standard of quality which is highly unacceptable. On Monday when I speak to an executive at Apple, I will be insisting a complaint is made about the quality of their products and I think after my complaints lasting around 3 months and about 6 laptops later I am in a position to do so. If it means that I get a refund and purchase a laptop from the other vendors then I will do it, I am not letting this complaint last any longer.

All I ask of Apple is that they send me a laptop with no scratches or dents, no noises and no broken graphics cards. Is that too much to ask when spending £1,749? I don't think so.

12. benjs macrumors regular

Given your unfortunate luck with Apple, I think it'd be fair to ask for some form of compensation, be it a refund, or a complementary extended warranty. I had the same issue with lemon iPods a few years ago and called corporate as well.. told them I wanted my money back, or a new non-refurbished iPod. They upped me 20 gigabytes and gave me a video iPod rather than photo iPod :D

13. James17 macrumors 6502

Very unfortunate indeed. This whole thing has lasted about three months. I'm just so fed up with it all. All I want is a notebook with no issues, they are expensive enough. I'll see how I get on with talking to Apple on Monday. Until then, I'll sit listening to the terribly loud noise coming from the fans.

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I find that hard to believe, don't the fans shut off when the unit is idle? Perhaps its something other than the fans.

15. James17 macrumors 6502

You'll just need to believe it, there is no reason for me to lie after 3 months of different laptops. When I'm not at the computer but it's on there is a really loud "whirring" noise coming from the fans which I know is below where it says "MacBook Pro" at the bottom of the screen. To clarify all of this, I phoned AppleCare and the operator was extremely helpful, he asked me to put the phone up to where I was talking about and he said he could hear the noise I was explaining, he said that it's a hardware fault and is totally unacceptable. My old Penryn MacBook Pro is still here and to see if it was me being picky, I turned it on and it's silent. I want this all to be over as soon as possible and I was praying this would be perfect but to my sheer disappointment no.

16. MarkCombs macrumors member

Hey Ps65

What type of 7200 drive did Apple use in your new MBP. I was going to get one but can't live with the glossy screen and decided to get a 7200 drive for my 2.4 MBP. I was thinking the Travelstar or the WD Scorpion. Is it quiet? Run down the battery quicker?

17. blurfonz macrumors regular

You got a lemon! I hope not for me...

Anyway I guess you can give apple a call and see what they say ?

18. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Highly subjective?

The battery cover on my older model Macbook can be moved "slightly"...I don't consider it a manufacturing flaw.

If this is a real problem, I'd like to see pictures of it so that we know what is going on. Otherwise it's just a highly subjective view of how something should be built.

19. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you will notice that people like this never reply, they only post their whine and leave. if you were really having that much trouble with a brand new computer, common sense would tell you to return/exchange it instead of getting on here and crying about it. he's full of crap! probably a windows lover that wants to stir junk up. there are a few of those on here. fools don't even own a mac.

20. ascender macrumors 68000

I just found it very hard to read.

21. ohno2 macrumors newbie

"People like this" have legitimate complaints, as I know first hand. If "People like this" didn't post on these forums Apple would have each individual customer believing that this was the very first time they had ever heard of any of these problems.

I own 2 Macs, a macbook and an imac, and just had the unfortunate experience of returning 4 defective mbp's in the last week. Each one was defective, and I am absolutely disgusted at apple's total disregard for the customers expectation for a mbp with no flaws.

The first two mbp's had warped lids, the third one had a clunking sound when you picked up the laptop, didn't matter if it was on or off, the fourth one had the largest lid gap of them all.

I am not full of crap, I own macs, and defective is defective, and oh yeah, for someone who was wondering if all the defective mbp's came from stores other than apple stores...no, all of them were from the same apple store in NY. Yes, they exchanged them all and then finally refunded my money, not without having to go through the "genius" (read IDIOT) bar, and lots of raised eyebrow and rolled eyes.

Who are these people on the forums who say these defects are not problems? I work very hard for my money, and the $2,499 I spent for the new MPB was a lot of money, and I want a perfect machine for that money. Other laptops I own right now are two 15" Dell's and a 17" HP, none of which have any external design flaws like warped lids, nor do any of them have strange clunking sounds.

My guess is we have trolls who work for Apple on this board saying a defect is not a defect. This is pathetic on Apple's part, and this warped lid issue, among others, has been around since the first MBP's in 2006. Come on Apple, we demand better.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok hi. Welcome to the forums.

How close? If you have to "look closer" to see the flaw then it may not have been as bad as you say. I opened mine up in the car (MB actually) and there was a thumbprint under the screen. I rubbed for a few moments and walked it back in. I felt like a total jackass, but since I do not examine my machines as you seem to do it would be something that had to have been glaring for me to take that walk of shame back into that store.

Actually, that's unacceptable for any notebook. Clearly there was an issue, but I am wondering just how much of an issue considering the rest of your post.

You can shift it up and down? Interesting! Does it shift or not stay on? Pick one. Oh wait, the issue is common because it's on YouTube. Immediate refund for you! Be sure to show the video to Apple as well! Oh and while you're at it, check out the videos on the Retarded Policeman. I mean, may as well humor the employees while they find you another replacement.

Dude I am so ****ing pissed off right now! I bought a MB, while I paid less I only got one keyboard. If I had known that by paying more for a MBP I would have gotten multiple keyboards I would have jumped on that! I'm calling Apple and filing a class action lawsuit the moment I finish my reply! :mad::mad::mad:

A) The battery cover is a removable part. It's going to move slightly friend. B)The keyboard is supposed to feel like plastic because it is. My guess is all plastic is cheap. Ever played with the new aluminum keyboards? Same feel, less money. ;) Go figure.

Your typing will not be registered if you attempt to type on the trackpad. Just my two cents. (Ok I know that one was a stretch.)

Ok now you're just toying with me! Your screen has hinges? Mine appear to be attached to the lid. Damnit I am fuming now! :mad::mad::mad:

Buddy, I think you've taken every YouTube video and MacRumor BitchPost™ and ensured you inspected your laptop so closely that you found these issues. Clearly you're not ready to shell out this kind of money for a notebook. It seems as though you're going to find a problem regardless.

Clearly you're not ready to shell out this kind of money for a notebook. It seems as though you're going to find a problem regardless.

You have a sister?
    I think your sister doesn't have that many issues, I mean your sister's Dell doesn't have that many issues because you haven't been bothered to inspect that laptop as closely as you're inspecting yours. Plus, if there aren't any YouTube videos found featuring your sister's Dell then chances are you somehow find the Dell to be close to perfect. Maybe you should have just bought a Dell. They have a nice one out right now.

Actually, the MB today is built better than all the previous versions. The MBP imho felt sturdier than my 15" PowerBook.
    Frustration is no justification for completely abandoning paragraphs. Paragraphs did nothing to you!

23. ohno2 macrumors newbie

Hi Jessica, another apple troll having her say, angry much? You must be terrified of losing your job to spend that much time and effort picking apart a post in an attempt to discredit anyone with complaints against an apple product.

24. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

geeze calm down...you're the one that keeps buying apple products that (according to you) are defective. would you buy a car that has as many problems as you and others claim? don't whine if you're going to keep getting the same product.

25. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

oh another newb saying their peace.