New MacBooks - Which case/sleeve are you using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by delude, Oct 25, 2008.

1. delude macrumors 6502

As the title says, Which case or sleeve are you using or will you be purchasing for your new MacBook Pro?
    Hopefully we can get a nice list together which can help others decide when they buy the new MBP or when theirs arrives.

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I've pre-ordered the new Booq Vyper M3, and am borrowing my wife's Incase neoprene sleeve until then. I want more protection than the typical soft sleeve gives, and Booq has tremendous quality, from what I've heard. Unfortunately, they wont be available till late November.

3. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

The M3 looks pretty damn good! Will you be buying a bag as well, or using the 'sleeve' (it's more like an armoured crate) on its own?

4. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

Has anybody had any experience using the 15 inch Nylon Sleeve Plus from Incase with a new MacBook Pro. It looks like this.

Attached Files:

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I am. Works great. Fits snugly, easy to get in and out, good protection (the bottom and edges are very, very stiff), and there are pockets for cables and your MagSafe.

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Initially I'll be using it with my wife's Coleman backpack that I just reinforced with a .5" thick foam which is nice and dense. Eventually I'll get my own backpack - I'm looking at the North Face Shure Shot pack, but also considering the X Shot and the Surge.

7. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice, sounds like you really care for the condition of your MBP, like I will! (I don't know how some people just chuck theirs around :()

Anyway, I have just ordered a Crumpler 'Boomer' bag, which if there is room I may use alongside a simple sleeve, for that added protection.

[​IMG]

8. Red-red macrumors 6502

9. Nate025 macrumors regular

I just got home from buying that case at the Apple store. It fits nice and snug on my MBP, couldn't be happier.

EDIT: On a side note, I did change the shoulder strap with another one I find more comfortable. Still a great bag: double sleeves in the fron for my mouse, remote, cd's, etc.. and a slot in the back for documents.

10. west.acre macrumors member

I'm looking into buying a case for my expected MBP, but I'm wondering if the cases for the previous MBP will suffice? Are the cases in the apple store for the new MBPs, or the old ones?

11. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

They will be for the older MBPs. New cases will be expected to come into production soon, and be in shops by the end of November. However, if you see a bag you like now and check the dimensions (like I did) then I'm sure it would be fine, the only difference will be a bit more room in the depth, and possibly width.

12. EchoElite macrumors newbie

13. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I'm liking my new Alum naked...

I really got used to the InCase hardshell, but since it's not out yet I bought the incase sleeve. Works great just like everyone else has reported. I'm enjoying being able to tilt my screen/display way back... can't do that with previous InCase hardshells. So, I may keep this one naked... of course I'm freakin paranoid that I will scratch the outside of it. Augh.

Which brings up a question. When the MB is asleep nothing is running right? It's very cool to the touch cause everything has stopped... so is it all right to keep it in the sleeve with the magsafe charger connected? That can't hurt anything can it? I just keep the top unzipped while it's plugged in. Tell me if this is a really bad idea please.

14. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i love incase bags. Apple's laptops are made out of different material than other laptops. they seem more prone to scratches. Incase bags are nicely snug, and confy inside. I almost wanna rest my head inside of it and sleep!

15. rjames86 macrumors member

I just bought a Tucano Microfibra. Much easier to have a tight sleeve to throw in my backpack than a separate bag.

[​IMG]

Anyone else remember and miss Bitolithic bags?

16. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that looks tough as can be! Is it heavy or bulky?

17. BMC Performance macrumors newbie

I got the "new" MacBook a couple of days ago and was going to get the incase 13" sleeve, but I'll stay tuned to this thread to see what you guys all think. :)

18. Red-red macrumors 6502

Definitely, I even get a little pouch for my iphone with the same stuff.

I'm not one to get paranoid with stuff getting scratched. I buy some to use it, not to look after it likes it's a baby. So keeping my laptop in a bulletproof case that makes me look like I'm from MI5 doesn't really bother me.

19. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I purchased this the same day I picked up my MBP:

Attached Files:

20. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

good to hear, I'm going to have to get one of these.

21. west.acre macrumors member

OK, thanks. Well I need a case where the zip comes all the way round to the back, and currently I'm liking the look of Crumpler The Gimp for 15.4" MBP. Does anybody know of others that have this zip design?

22. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

I was looking at that sleeve as well, but was wondering whether the new MBP's would actually fit?

The Dimensions for the MBP are: 36.4x24.9x2.41cm
    And the gimp sleeve 15W": 32.9x25.9x2.7cm

Is the MacBook going to be too wide to fit, or does this mean that it will be more snug and fit better?

23. firesong macrumors member

I'm using a case by Fabrix. Spent a day trying a couple of cases, and finally stumbled upon this one that fit quite well.

24. stanleyBE macrumors member

25. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I like it!!

Wow, I've never seen that one before? I just wonder how bulky it will be. Otherwise, I think I'd like it better than my sleeve. I like that it opens all the way around. It seems to be sturdy like the InCase hardshell without being snapped on. Once those hardshells are on they are hard to get off. The Axio seems to solve that problem. I just don't want a lot of bulk. Protection no added bulk, or weight is what I feel we are all looking for. I really want to take advantage of that 1/2 pound we lost!