New Macbooks, wrong move Apple...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by petvas, Oct 19, 2008.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have to say that the new laptops are a big disappointment in many ways.
    Yes, the new manufacturing process is really great and the laptops look really great. What really disappointed me was the fact that the new Macbooks are much more expensive than before. More than 400€ to be more precise. I really don't get what we get more for all these money...
    I found the previous Macbook on Amazon.de for 1090€ and just ordered it. These money get me:
    • 2,4Ghz Intel Duo Core
    • 160GB HD
    • Glossy but not so much reflecting display as with the new Macbooks..
    • Firewire Port..

I wanted to originally buy the new Macbook Pro but I didn't because of the glass. I don't want a mirror and I am not paying 2000 Euro for it...
    Please don't tell me that the white Macbook is also glossy. I know that. I had it before and it was ok. I only need a second machine that will be used for basic stuff. I have my mac pro for everything else and that's why I didn't buy the old Macbook Pro...

What I don't like about the new laptops:
    • Glossy display + Glass= a very expensive mirror
    • no Firewire on Macbooks
    • the Macbook comes only on 2Ghz and 2,4Ghz. The previous generation used 2,4Ghz for the cheaper model...
    • No higher resolution display for the Macbook Pro
    • No Matte option. That is ok for the Macbook because it is small and you can get around the reflections but it is just not acceptable for the Macbook Pro. Normally I would buy the Macbook Pro (despite the fact that it is an overkill for me) but not anymore. If Apple offers a Matte Option then I will buy it...

2. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Sorry.... but it sounds like sour grapes. I have just sent my daughter back to university with the 2.4Ghz new macbook. It is a gorgeous machine and she absolutely loves it (together with the time machine and the airport express, pink incase case and pink ipod nano)
    I make do with my white macbook 2.0Ghz, 4Mb RAM, 80GB HD, which I bought second hand from ebay.
    I just like to get good value, and my present macbook is superb after having used windows machines for more years than I care to remember.
    The new macbook knocks spots off my white macbook, it is the nicest computer I have ever used - but me? I'm more than content with my new toy.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

The new Macbook has a much better design but the processor speed is the same and I am paying almost 500 Euro less for it..Now the question to ask is if the new design and Nvidia card are worth 500 Euro...

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It should knock the "socks" off your white one. Yours is 2 or 3 gens back and costs a hell of a lot less. Not a fair comparison at all. Benchmark tests on the previous gen 2.4 against the new 2.4 shows practically no difference in power, yet costs a lot more. Yes it has better graphics, screen, and might look nicer (that can be debated b/c beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

It is better to compare similar things and not one years old. That is a little common sense, don't ya think?

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

as dissapointing as they seem to be here for so many people, they are still going to sell a smuch as the older white ones...same as how 3g iPhones sold very well, even tho alot of people were dissapointing and same as the MBA did... don't get me wrong i am not trying to flame the OP, but as dissapointed as so many people are, it won't change a thing... i myself love the new machines (except for the FW dealy) ...

6. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

2.0 with 80GB. MMMMMMM Maybe 11 months in your ownership. Regardless look at the benchmark tests if you are interested in that sort of thing. At least it will educate you on things.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

To the OP you're paying for the Nvidia GPU (will come in handy for Snow Leopard), Aluminium unibody & Glass screen/trackpad.

I personally couldn't stand last gen macbooks with the fingerprint magnet case with sharp edges and terrible screen...but to each his own

...and yes i do think Apple dumping FW was a bad move but at the same time it makes sense as a business decision. Truth is FW lost the battle in terms of mainstream adoption.

My gripe is the fact that Apple didn't add either a 3rd USB port or even a 4-pin FW port but they say there was no more space on the Logic Board. I don't rely on FW, in fact i haven't used it since i owned a 3G iPod so its not really a deal breaker for me but i can see how it would be for others

9. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I initially thought the same.

They are quite a bit more expensive, but the first reviews are appearing, and it looks like the quality has been improved considerably. The reviews have been generally favourable so far, and the Macbooks seem to be selling fast.

At first, I thought Apple had made a terrible mistake and had misjudged the market. However, I now think it is part of a longer term plan.

I think Apple has deliberately chosen higher price points to make way for another range of portables around the £700-£800 mark. Maybe a tablet or a smaller notebook. The old white Macbook was kept in the range (maybe as a last minute backup plan because the new products weren't ready), but they'll remove it from sale just as soon as the new ones are ready (I'm guessing no earlier than next year). With another (slightly) lower priced product to fill the gap where the white Macbooks used to start, the notebook product range will then start to make sense again.

10. cube macrumors G4

So a $130 miniDV camcorder with FW is not mainstream?

11. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

You miss my point completely, perhaps you should re read my original post, I am happy with what my computer does and how it does it. I love having old machines which do completely what I require.
    And I also said 11 months old, I have owned it for perhaps 5 months - you really must read posts more carefully!

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No it isn't. If you buy it you are a pro (insert sarcasm). Many new camcorders and cameras directed at the consumer market have FW only and are brand new models. There are numerous threads proving this.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

All I said is it is stupid to compare your 2 or 3 gen old Macbook to a brand new one. It isn't fair at all. I said if you compare the benchmarks on the last gen to the new gen 2.4 they are practically equal in power. I also said the new one is better when it comes to screen, graphics, and maybe looks to some (I personally have seen them and hate the 2 tone look, but to each their own).

14. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

How dare you call it stupid! It's not stupid to compare it to my 11 month old Macbook at all. Who are you to judge that as stupid?
    Have I called you stupid? No... not yet.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Calm down. I didn't call you stupid. I said it is stupid to compare a 2-3 old gen Macbook to a brand new gen Macbook. That is common sense. Don't be dramatic. Dang.

16. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I think the better GPU + snow leopard will make the miniscule difference in the GPU's moot.

17. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Ok truce buddy but wtf does dang mean?
    And the OP was comparing the new Macbook with the White Macbook!
    Boy you really know how to wind people up.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Dang is the same as damn just nicer I guess. Yes he was comparing the white one, but the white one he was comparing had a 2.4 processor not a 2.0. The 2.4 also has Penryn, not the SR like yours.

19. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

I am sure I would have said exactly the same things about the 2.0Ghz new Macbook.. the new model is just so much better!
    And you need to lose your condescending tone.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

OK :rolleyes:

Hope your daughter will like it. I'm sure she will. Take care.

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

22. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

:D

23. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

your point being? appears irrelevant to the OP's original post.

24. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

what you say sounds plausible. But I very much doubt, the long awaited mac tablet will be cheap. It might cost just as much as the MBPs.

I don't think we'll ever see a netbook unless Apple gives up the MBA. They themselves have already asserted that they chose to make the MBA over a regular netbook because of 1. full size keyboard, and 2. 13.3" screen.

If they hold fast to that, I doubt we'll see a 7" or even 10" mac laptop.

25. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How would you make a piece of glass, matte?