Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A collection of new assets within the system resources for the virtual keyboard on macOS 10.12.1 essentially confirms Apple will be releasing new notebooks that include a touch-based OLED bar in lieu of the physical function key row seen on all current Macs, as has been rumored for the upcoming MacBook Pro.

On 10.12.0, the System Preferences assets for Apple's virtual keyboard - which lets users type on a Mac without a physical keyboard - include a number of different keyboard image files covering the physical key layouts used across Apple's product lineup, including full-height versus half-height function rows and different international layouts. Each file represents an image of macOS Sierra's virtual keyboard that mirrors the user's current physical keyboard layout, including a row across the top for function keys, Escape, and a power or eject key.

In yesterday's 10.12.1 update to Sierra, a new set of assets was discovered by MacRumors reader Gabriel Lorin, revealing an updated physical keyboard layout coming for machines supporting the new operating system version. Three additional sets of layout files are included in system resources on macOS 10.12.1, with each image depicting a virtual keyboard that lacks the standard tactile row of function keys.

keyboard-assets-2.jpg

The image files do not directly represent the OLED touch bar and its functionality, which will likely be managed using separate preferences, but the omission of the function row entirely in these new layouts leaves no other reasonable explanation beyond those key functionalities being moved to a separate location such as the rumored touch bar.

The significantly redesigned MacBook Pro, which is expected to be at the forefront of Apple's Mac event on Thursday, has been expected to include an OLED touch bar for some time now, so today's discovery is just another piece in a long line of rumors and evidence leading up to Apple's announcement later in the week. The panel is rumored to include Touch ID so users can gain easy access to a locked MacBook and perhaps direct Apple Pay functionality, and the remainder of the OLED keys will change contextually depending on which app is active on the computer.

Besides a 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro, Apple is believed to be launching a new 13-inch MacBook Air at the event, but recent reports suggest that users may have to wait until 2017 for a refresh to the iMac and a new standalone 5K display.

Article Link: New macOS Virtual Keyboard Layouts Confirm Rumors of MacBook Pro OLED Touch Bar

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattlike

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
1. Who uses the function keys in the existing virtual keyboard?

2. How will those people continue to do so with the new virtual keyboard?

Reactions: Kavik

dmdev

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
This, and the lack of Xcode 8.1 being released tells me something new programming-wise is coming

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The 2017 model will remove space bar, I hear from well-informed sources.

(Seriously though I can't wait to see if that OLED toolbar is going to be useful or a terrible "we really had no other ideas" gimmick...)

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I seriously don't see the point of this OLED bar, other than a wow factor. At the very least, hopefully the power button will have touch ID.
I frequently use the expose button to drag-n-drop items from one window to another. I wonder how the same thing can be achieved with this OLED bar.

I am glad, however, that Apple is going to do a mag-safe-like feature on USB-C.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Tim Cook: "Hey you tech guys...tell me...why are we getting 0 stream views?"
Tech A:" All you have been focusing on was about MBP....me too...I wouldn't sit here watching you talk like that."
Tech B: "Yeah...I agree with tech a....we're done here."
(both techs walked out of the building)

Tim Cook: "Wh.who's gonna work on streaming live? Hel..hello? Anyone? HELLLLOOOO?"

EDIT: But i guess the keyboard wouldn't be bad.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Why does the press/rumorbloggers have such a hardon for this function key strip?

I don't know anyone who uses function keys other than for adjusting brightness or volume. And having ui elements that change is horrible design.

It is pretty sad when this is the biggest feature of the new MacBook.

How about some real innovation again, Apple?

Reactions: Avenged110

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I'm confused. Can someone explain to me how a touch BAR can have a full keyboard on it?! And why would anyone want that if there's a physical keyboard right there? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.