New macpro's owners : is our motherboard a prototype ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sweedigel, Jan 18, 2008.

1. sweedigel macrumors member

sweedigel

Hi !
    I received my mac pro today (the standard model with one CPU). Everything works great and fast but I noticed something weird in CPU-Z (windows' system info software, dunno if you ever heard of it).
    [​IMG]
    Look at the board's model : "Proto1". Could it mean that's it's a prototype model ?
    What do u think ? :confused:

2. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I do not believe that this is what it means.

I think I remember having seen something like this before.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks fine to me. I'd just wait for the next version CPU-Z to include more hardware ID support. I'm sure they might appreciate you informing them of this.

4. newtech macrumors 6502

Not sure if Proto1 means anything or not. I have a MacPro1,1 developers board (M43ADP1,1) that says MLB model Mac-F4208DC8 PVT vs your Mac-F42C88C8 Proto1, so who knows what it means. In the past prototype Motherboards had green ( or VERY rarely red ) solder mask, mine is blue solder mask which is the same as production units.

5. ackzot macrumors newbie

The million dollar question.... can you add another CPU? Is there a socket? Is there a heat sink?

6. faumble macrumors regular

would love photos of this 1 cpu mac!
    Thanks if you can

7. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

Eheh :)
    YES there is a 2nd socket ;). But there is no heatsink on it.

So, another mac pro 3,1 owner could launch cpuz and report the board's name ? I'm curious, and I don't want an unstable machine.

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Proto1 = Pro Tower 1?

Or is it simply that the software doesn't reecognize the board... it could be a custom Intel board for Apple.

9. newtech macrumors 6502

To no one in particular...TOLD YA SO!!!!:D :p

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not just could, it is ;)

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Now we just need a site to add a CPU and get the theory verified.

12. newtech macrumors 6502

Why is CPU-Z reporting your core clock as ~2400 MHz and the multiplier as 6. for a 2.8 CPU it should be ~2800 MHz with a multipiler of 7.

13. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

I think it's the EIST who downgrade the multiplier when the cpu is idle, or something like that.

14. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

I verified with sisoft Sandra and it says "Version : Proto1". So it's the version of the board. IMO it means "prototype"... what else :/

15. newtech macrumors 6502

No, Xeons are clock locked ( multiplier factory set and unchangeable ), reduced power mode is via bus slewing ( slowing the FSB ). For an E5462 the multiplier is ALWAYS exactly 7X FSB, the FSB ( FSB is quad pumped ) can be stepped down to 333.333 or 266.666.

16. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

I will verify that in a few. I'm going to reinstall xp-64 instead that crappy vista.

17. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Not sure if it would be a prototype. Unless Apple couldn't run 1 processor on a brand new powerful board, so they made another one or something? Doubtful though. Wonder if it says Proto1 with 2 processors? Wish I could check.

18. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Maybe the pawn off the junk prototype boards left over in the stockroom to the people who buy single cpu models. :)

19. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

That's what I'm wondering. Or maybe just for all the firsts models... We'll see. For the moment I'm curious about what it say for the 8 cores models buyers.

20. yesthisisapc macrumors member

I don't have a site, but I'll see what I can do. My plan has been to just get a single Quad, rip out the processor, sell it and put two 3.0 Harpertowns in there :D

Between the low cost on doing that myself and RAM, I'm probably going to save a mint.

21. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Are.. you sure? I find that hard to believe. Intel CPUs are usually clock... capped, but not locked. My 1.6 GHz Pentium M laptop throttles between 6-12x multipliers.... with intervals of 1x in between. I can get it down to 400 MHz by running it at 100 MHz FSB speeds...

Incidentally, has anyone tried undervolting these Xeons?

22. newtech macrumors 6502

Quite certain, check the intel literature. Core 2 Extreme such as Q6600 and Q6850 are not clock locked, but ALL 5000 sequence Xeons are locked.

Speed throttling via changing the FSB is a different animal than changing the FSB to core multiplier.

23. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

newtech : I don't know if it's the EIST, but under win xp, when the cpu is idle the multiplier change to 6 > 2.4GHz. When it's in charge (tested it with Super pi), the multiplier is back to 7 > 2.8GHz.

24. Bigewilson macrumors newbie

mines unstable anyway lets face it they're computers.

25. Bigewilson macrumors newbie

we should have computer races...Gentlemen start your computers!