New MacRumors Forums Thread Category Structure

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I just noticed that MacRumors changed the category structure for threads on the forums.

I personally think it is a lot more organized and seems more logical, but it will take some getting used to.

What do others think?

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
It's okay. Will take some time to get use to and may lead to less activity in some forums, but probably not a measurable amount.

I'm indifferent about it

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not sure I agree with removing the older PPC computers. Just because they are not as relevant anymore doesn't mean people stopped using them or don't have issues with them.

I would make a suggestion that rather than call them collectors items where questions and help will get buried just have a category for "Older macs help and advice".

Love

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I still know a hell of a lot of people that aren't on Intel Macs, I wasn't all Intel until about a year ago when I replaced my old PowerBook G4 (God bless it's electronic soul) with this MacBook (which to be perfectly honest, quite often annoys the crap out of me).

Moving the PPC forums ≠ good move

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It doesn't seem to logical, and its well, confusing. I'm sure I'll get to used to it but that doesn't mean its well laid out.

For instance we have a
iPhone/iPad/iTouch area
Apple applications
apple hardware

Isn't the iPhone apple hardware? You have iPhone apps under the apple application why not have iphone under apple hardware.

You also have apple software and services, which does not have applications?

Not very cohesive, or logically defined.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's all quite improved, except the "iPod and iTunes" forum. That is just illogical, as they are completely different entities. iTunes should just be a part of the Mac Applications forum, and iPod should be with the other iDevice forums. Aside from that, bravo on finally ridding MR of the the PPC forums --- a long time coming. :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Yea, the new organization slowed me down a little from my routine, but it's probably better overall.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
OS X subforum gone

Was removing the OS X subforum planned?

EDIT: It appears many things have moved. It appears all the threads under the OS X subforum were moved to the Mac OS X forum.

Attachments

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Aside from that, bravo on finally ridding MR of the the PPC forums --- a long time coming. :)
Just because Apple doesn't sell PPC doesn't mean there are people that don't still rely on them. Hell up till last week I still relied on it.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
I think it's all quite improved, except the "iPod and iTunes" forum. That is just illogical, as they are completely different entities. iTunes should just be a part of the Mac Applications forum, and iPod should be with the other iDevice forums. Aside from that, bravo on finally ridding MR of the the PPC forums --- a long time coming. :)
Well, there are still some people, like me, who have PPC machines, and would like to post about them. Where do I post about them now?..I think MR should make a dedicated PPC forum, and that's where people ask things about those machines only. I still use my various PPC based Macs, right now, I'm angrily pounding this message out on my Quad G5. ;)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
..I think MR should make a dedicated PPC forum, and that's where people ask things about those machines only.
i don't think a PPC forum is needed, but would like to see a 'ibook/powerbook' sub-forum under the laptop link, and a 'power mac' sub-forum under the desktop link.

as everyone else posted, there are still bazillions of these out there in everyday use (i've an office full myself), and it seems short sighted to drop them now.

just my two cents.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
i don't think a PPC forum is needed, but would like to see a 'ibook/powerbook' sub-forum under the laptop link, and a 'power mac' sub-forum under the desktop link.

as everyone else posted, there are still bazillions of these out there in everyday use (i've an office full myself), and it seems short sighted to drop them now.

just my two cents.
This sounds like a good idea to me. I would like to hear some responses about this from management on their reasoning.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think it's a shame that the 'Mac' forums are so far down the page on a site called MacRumors.

This just adds to the thinking that Apple has become a mobile device company first, and a personal computer company second.