New MacRumors Forums Thread Category Structure

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by celticpride678, May 9, 2010.

1. celticpride678

I just noticed that MacRumors changed the category structure for threads on the forums.

I personally think it is a lot more organized and seems more logical, but it will take some getting used to.

What do others think?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the heads up, looks okay to me, but the PPC Macs are missing, or where are they hidden now?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why is "iPod and iTunes" under "Apple Hardware" instead of "iPhone, iPod touch and iPad" ? Or alternatively, why aren't the "iPhone, iPod touch and iPad" forums filed under "Apple Hardware" ? :cool:

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I don't see them either. Maybe MacRumors decided to remove it?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I noticed it too. I like the old way for the iPhone forums, but maybe I'm just not used to it. I also noticed they dropped hacks to the bottom.

6. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

It's okay. Will take some time to get use to and may lead to less activity in some forums, but probably not a measurable amount.

I'm indifferent about it

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It seems a bit of a mess to me particularly the ipod and itunes being in hardware. PPC is in the collectors forum now? It doesn't make as much sense as the old structure to me.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not sure I agree with removing the older PPC computers. Just because they are not as relevant anymore doesn't mean people stopped using them or don't have issues with them.

I would make a suggestion that rather than call them collectors items where questions and help will get buried just have a category for "Older macs help and advice".

9. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I still know a hell of a lot of people that aren't on Intel Macs, I wasn't all Intel until about a year ago when I replaced my old PowerBook G4 (God bless it's electronic soul) with this MacBook (which to be perfectly honest, quite often annoys the crap out of me).

Moving the PPC forums ≠ good move

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It doesn't seem to logical, and its well, confusing. I'm sure I'll get to used to it but that doesn't mean its well laid out.

For instance we have a
    iPhone/iPad/iTouch area
    Apple applications
    apple hardware

Isn't the iPhone apple hardware? You have iPhone apps under the apple application why not have iphone under apple hardware.

You also have apple software and services, which does not have applications?

Not very cohesive, or logically defined.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Threw me a little this morning....but I've figured out where the forums I frequent have been moved to.

12. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I think it's all quite improved, except the "iPod and iTunes" forum. That is just illogical, as they are completely different entities. iTunes should just be a part of the Mac Applications forum, and iPod should be with the other iDevice forums. Aside from that, bravo on finally ridding MR of the the PPC forums --- a long time coming. :)

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, the new organization slowed me down a little from my routine, but it's probably better overall.

14. belvdr macrumors 603

OS X subforum gone

Was removing the OS X subforum planned?

EDIT: It appears many things have moved. It appears all the threads under the OS X subforum were moved to the Mac OS X forum.

Attached Files:

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

See this thread MR completely reorganized the forum structure. Non too logical if you ask me

16. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

17. belvdr macrumors 603

Thanks. I looked around but never found a thread. Was there an announcement about this? It sure would be nice to know that changes are coming.

18. electronique macrumors 6502

Help.. Im somewhere where I dont know where I am.
    I am so lost... Hate the new layout.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just because Apple doesn't sell PPC doesn't mean there are people that don't still rely on them. Hell up till last week I still relied on it.

20. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Well, there are still some people, like me, who have PPC machines, and would like to post about them. Where do I post about them now?..I think MR should make a dedicated PPC forum, and that's where people ask things about those machines only. I still use my various PPC based Macs, right now, I'm angrily pounding this message out on my Quad G5. ;)

21. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i don't think a PPC forum is needed, but would like to see a 'ibook/powerbook' sub-forum under the laptop link, and a 'power mac' sub-forum under the desktop link.

as everyone else posted, there are still bazillions of these out there in everyday use (i've an office full myself), and it seems short sighted to drop them now.

just my two cents.

22. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I think change for the sake of change is a waste of time.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This sounds like a good idea to me. I would like to hear some responses about this from management on their reasoning.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I think it's a shame that the 'Mac' forums are so far down the page on a site called MacRumors.

This just adds to the thinking that Apple has become a mobile device company first, and a personal computer company second.