New magsafe connector not as 'safe' as old one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhotka, May 30, 2010.

1. lhotka macrumors regular

I've discovered that the new magsafe connector works fine...unless you pull the cord directly away from the back of the MBP - then there's not enough leverage to pop it out, and you pull the laptop with it.

The old ones released a *lot* easier than the new ones - I've almost lost my machine when my dog tripped on the cord and it didn't release.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

3. Deeya macrumors member

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Although I do like the new connecter, as it appears much more "sleek" and how it runs the cable/cord more toward the back of the machine, mine has a pretty strong magnet and it takes a good pull to remove it...I can see where the OP is coming from about it possibly not 'releasing" in certain situations and how that could endanger the MBP...:confused:

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

it definitely locks into place good because i've seen a video of how it is when tugged on. and it surely doesn't disconnect easily.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I am also a bigger fan of the old connector. In fact I've resorted to using my spare magsafe adapter when I'm mobile as it is the old kind.

7. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

This. It's kinda lame, but I'm glad I have a couple spare old ones.

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Mine rips off just fine, but yes, if you pull the cord absolutely parallel to the fixed position then it might not come out. On the bright side, the new connector looks so beautiful.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I think when it comes to the power connector, function is vastly more important than form. After all, Apple has been pushing magsafe as being a more forgiving way to power your laptop in the event of an accident, not a more fashionable one.

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

My daughter tripped on my cord and I just picked my MBP the last second, I was so surprised that the magsafe didn't detach as supposed, so definitely there's a problem with it.

I'm so nervous about this new magsafe that I'm buying and old one just for my peace of mind...

11. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

At the end of the day, it seems that the adapter will do exactly what it is supposed to. If it is tugged quickly in any direction it will detach. Most scenarios and reasons why the implemented such a design are because incidents were probably quick and fast. Such an event would be someone walking by and tripping over your power cord.

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I put a MBP 13" on my bed, and pillows on the floor. i powered down the computer. With the cable parallel, it pulls the computer off with it. It doesn't matter weather you gently pull it, or tug it, the laptop lands on pillows. Pulling it away from the side disconnects it normally though. I like the old white one better.

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

Guys, the new magsafe connector weren't built to be more safer than the old one, it was built to withstand the tears at the edge between the connector and the wire. That's why it's longer and stiff, to prevent the tears which also prevents the possibility of a power spike and fire safety.

Update:
    [​IMG]

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You make a valid point, but you should also be aware that what you're saying sounds awfully close to what automakers used to say when the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) first introduced offset crash testing. They said that the scenario being tested was rare and therefore customers should feel safe with their vehicle purchases. The old magsafe protected users in many of those not-so-common events where just enough stress was placed upon the cord where a normal adapter would pull the notebook from it's resting place. If the old design was safer, why should Apple regress with the new design?

15. striker9 macrumors member

It's obviously another form over function mistake by Apple. By making the cord cord as they did, there is much less leverage that would force the magnet to twist out when tugged backwards compared to the old ones.

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

But the problem here is that it's not working properly when pulled from behind, and it keeps attached to the MBP.

17. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

This should NOT happen under normal circumstances. I think that most failures were probably due to abuse as opposed to normal use. For one thing, keeping in mind that this is purely speculative, failures may have been caused by people tugging on the cord perpendicular to the laptop, when the proper way to remove the magsafe connector is to pull upwards or downwards to release the magnets in a more gently manner. With that said, all Apple would have had to have done would be to strengthen the binding between the cord and the connector. I don't think a complete redesign was necessary.

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Yes, the new connector helps dismiss bending moment due to gravity at the notch, hence preventing wear and tear at the edge where the plug ends and the cord begins. They made it beautiful too. Everything's becoming aluminum for Apple lately -- 4th gen iPhone bezel, the iPad back (they could have made it polymer), Apple remote -- so the MagSafe fits into the family very nicely.

19. MikhailT macrumors 601

Well unfortunately, it happens more often than it should and Apple started getting more calls about the tears to the point they had to post a tech support article and this.

I see this more often,
    [​IMG]

It's not abusing the cable, I have seen many people adding strain to the wire by forcing the connector behind the laptop instead of letting it relax on the side. That's enough to cause a tear. Stronger binding or this redesign? I think the redesign makes more sense than the other one. Notice how the new magsafe connector goes straight back instead of the side?

[​IMG]

20. striker9 macrumors member

The fact is that the new design isn't effective with a backwards pull. That backwards direction puts all the force on the lip of the charging port and the charger. With the cord being placed perpendicular to the laptop side (on the onld design), it allowed for the force to put on the strength of the magnets, not the metal to metal contact.

This new design makes sense to keep the cord from breaking like the photos above, but it does not help it quickly disconnect with backwards movement.

21. lhotka thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, but if you pull that new one directly back, your MBP will end up on the floor before it disconnects (doesn't matter if it's fast or slow).

If you're even a bit careful, the old style lasts for years, and hundreds of connections/disconnections...and it actually disconnects when it's supposed to.

22. MikhailT macrumors 601

I think what Apple should've done is copy Microsoft's method of protecting the controller, instead of having the magsafe next to the laptop, the magsafe is on the cable itself. (MS doesn't use magnets, just force itself)
    [​IMG]

23. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I lost count of how many times I had to buy a new power brick with my G4 15" PowerBook at nearly $90 a pop! :mad: (at least 5 over the 7 years I had that computer)...It eventually led to the PowerBook falling off the coach and on to the DC in connector breaking the DC-In board which I had to fix myself (PITA as you must remove the Logic board to get to the DC-In board)...I HATED that old connector and although the new one may not be as safe as the first MagSafe, it is IONS better than the original...
    Man, Apple made a TON of money on those powerbrick replacements...:eek:

24. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

The one from my white macbook never showed any indication of wear or tear, as you said you just have to be careful.

About the new one, I just have one incident that nearly costed me my new MBP, and It's not my daughter fault, it's the magsafe design.

25. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Nope. I've already had someone trip over my cord - the MBP flew across the table within a few cm of falling to the floor and the new Mag(not-so)Safe remained attached. I much prefer the older, safer design which detached when it was supposed to.

I let Apple know HERE about their strangely overlooked, MagSafe design flaw.