New Magsafe Design No Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acearchie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Couldn't really find anything on the search but I wanted to know if everyone thought the redesigned aluminium mag safe charger was actually no good?

Since is slim redesign it means that if the chord is pulled parallel to the computer then it doesn't come out and actually pulls the computer with it! I never had this problem with the old plastic one as the cable would always pop out.

Just wondered if anyone else was annoyed with the redesign?

2. ipxmbx macrumors member

It's a compromise, but not bad, just different. Since I've always been careful with cords, it's of no advantage to me anyway.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I don't really care at my desk you can't pull on the cable and when I go out I normally use my computer on battery. When I do bring my charger I am ultra careful about my computer. I'm not trying to be rude btw just my opinion.

4. matwue macrumors member

I also liked the old design better, it was much easier to unplug by hand and seemed to be the cleverer design.

That said, I never had anyone actually walking into the cord on my old Macbook, but guess what, on the very first day of my new MBP somebody ran into the power cord and the Magsafe luckily came into action! :) It popped out of the laptop, though somewhat late: the pins on the power plug were quite bent. But I won't complain, they were easily "re-bent" and the laptop was safe. So, the new Magsafe seems to work, phew.

5. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

dunno haven't tried the old magsafe,

with the L shaped, have tripped/pulled on a lot of times, it just pops off, no issue with it pulling the computer.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I don't see how it would at all be possible to pull on the cord accidentally (e.g. tripping over it), so that it is pulled backwards and parallel to the computer.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

simply better because of the direct angle aligning the case

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

As far as aesthetics, I don't care one way or another but I do think the new design is improved. After about a year and a half of use, I had to replace the Magsafe from my 2008 aluminum Macbook because the pins, which are spring loaded, eventually lost their spring. Meaning it wouldn't make connection with the points on the computer and wouldn't charge. The new one works much better so far. But in my opinion, I wished I hadn't had to replace it in the first place.

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

The new design from 2 years ago? nope, it works beautifully. :)

11. tylerpenn macrumors newbie

Much prefer the original MBpro magsafe design on my 2006 model. Much easier to just pull out. The new design has less to grab onto and I feel like I'm going to scratch the casing around it sometimes.

12. Yellow 13 macrumors member

the old design's cable can easily break, but the old charger's design is much better.

no kidding: my cable ripped and i have to solder it back D:, meh, i still use my MB charger on my new MBP (<-- Second hand)

i have some cases where my mb/mbp gets pulled when the charger is pulled to the direction of the cable on the "L" part, hat's why i use my old charger (man i wish they still sell these)

have anybody found ot what's the purpose of the little plastic thingy that covers the charger's end?? (sorry if this question us off-topic)

13. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

It sucks. I bought a new one thinking I'd have two, one to use in my desk and one at work. I much prefer the design of the old one. The new one is more awkward, generates more frustration (it sometimes takes me two to three tries to get it properly 'inserted') and (in my experience anyway) has proven to be more unreliable. I know four people who have had to return or exchange their new-style power bricks. To contrast, the brick that came with my 2006 mbp is still trucking.

14. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Any recommendations for a 3rd-party alternative?

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

16. waw74 macrumors 68030

depending on how you use it the new design is much sturdier, I've had several (2 or 3) of the T style adapters go bad, due to the cable being bent where it goes into the connector, one actually split in a small flash of sparks.
    I've also seen other posts on here about it failing there, and it sounded like a pretty common problem.

the new one does a much better job of protecting the joint instead of having it stick off into nothing.

17. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Technically there aren't any as Magsafe is an Apple patented technology that they haven't licensed to 3rd parties. And recently they have taken legal action to stop some 3rd parties from making knock offs.

18. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Newer design looks better, but is less fool-proof.

(now someone will write that nothing is fool-proof... blah, blah, blah)

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I like the sleek design of the Magsafe ... never had a problem with it

20. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There's no problem until there is.

If the cord gets pulled straight back, the laptop will move with it. Just something to keep in mind when in a vulnerable place. ;)

21. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

or you could plug it the opposite way (cord facing you)

22. ender land macrumors 6502a

every time this has happened with mine, the computer has rotated (which makes sense from physics) and then the cable came out.

I suppose if the laptop was already precariously placed this could be a problem but I think most of the time it won't be.

not sure if the 2011 changed something from the 2010 design (which I have) though.

23. Suanmiao macrumors member

+1

24. iMackPro macrumors 6502

how long ago did the Magsafe ports change? the last mb i bought before my 2011 i7 was an original uMB. i like the new design as it matches my computer, it looks very neat and tidy. i think its has a little bit stronger magnets but it still pulls away. i like the new change, i thought it just came out in the 2011s but maybe i was wrong

25. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

In terms of durability I've no doubt seen an improvement. Definitely have much fewer customers coming in with magsafe issues since the new design has been released.