New mail.app icon?

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
Has anyone noticed the new Mail.app icon in Tiger? I actually prefer the old version!

{thoughts?}
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
Thanks for Posting this!

I have ALWAYS thought that the Mail icon is plain and uninspired. Yet, it has remained the same since 10.0! With every OS upgrade I have waited for its demise, but nothing! I really think they can make it much, much better; it's so, banal and what not.

Well, you get my drift. Even the USPS has better graphics... and you can't get more T-Rex than the archaic USPS...
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Got a problem with it? Just change it then! It's pretty easy with OS X.
There are hundreds of mail app icons out there!
I probably have around 10-15 in my icon collection, but use the default one as I can live with it!
 

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
Balin64 said:
I have ALWAYS thought that the Mail icon is plain and uninspired. Yet, it has remained the same since 10.0! With every OS upgrade I have waited for its demise, but nothing! I really think they can make it much, much better; it's so, banal and what not.

Well, you get my drift. Even the USPS has better graphics... and you can't get more T-Rex than the archaic USPS...
I liked the old one better, think the updated Tiger version is a little 'fat' looking and a bit too blue. I'm anal enough to let this annoy me.

The mail icon may be plain and uninspired, but its certainly clear what the app does from looking at it!
 

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
James Philp said:
Got a problem with it? Just change it then! It's pretty easy with OS X.
There are hundreds of mail app icons out there!
I probably have around 10-15 in my icon collection, but use the default one as I can live with it!
It might be cool to look other alternatives. You got any suggestions on which ones are best?
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,913
25
Ha ha haaa!
I like the positioning of the bird/hawk/eagle better on the new one, but wish they'd have kept the old blue background.

I like the Mail icon. What else would you use... an envelope? Now THERE'S banal for you! :p

And don't even get me started on USPS... IMO they majorly screwed up when they moved away from the logo they used in the '60s - '80s. The "new" one is just f-ugly!

Edit: I can't wait until all the companies are tired of messing with their classic logos to turn them into new 3-D shiny monstrosities and go back to basics: 2-D black and white, maybe 2-color. Am I dreaming? Yeah, probably. ;)
 

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
Awimoway said:
Here's a sampler of Mail icons I've collected. I use the Charlie Brown one at the bottom right.
I really like AirMail icon in the middle.
 
Apple PAYS someone to tweak these things so minimally?

I'm all for refinement, but COME ON!! This is either 1) change for change's sake or 2) someone trying to slip in a slightly modified version that nobody else will catch yet will be able to call his own.

Tiger better have NO BUGS if they had the extra resources to have somebody darken a sky and rotate a bird...
 

Awimoway

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
1,485
8
California
nesbitt_a said:
I really like AirMail icon in the middle.
That's funny because when I put together the sampler I noticed the AirMail icon and wondered why I wasn't using it instead. I guess 'cause I'm a big Peanuts fan.

The Airmail icon is in this collection.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
jayscheuerle said:
Apple PAYS someone to tweak these things so minimally?
I agree. This "change" is so slight why even bother with it? I mean most of time the icon is going to be smaller when it's on the Dock that you're not going to notice any slight changes like that.


Awimoway, where did you get those icons at? Some of those are really nice :D

And when you change an apps icon for the Dock, do you just do the ole "copy and paste" in the Get Info window for the app in the Applications Folder? Then, remove the old icon from the dock, then drag 'n drop the new icon on the Dock?
 

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
jayscheuerle said:
Apple PAYS someone to tweak these things so minimally?

I'm all for refinement, but COME ON!! This is either 1) change for change's sake or 2) someone trying to slip in a slightly modified version that nobody else will catch yet will be able to call his own.

Tiger better have NO BUGS if they had the extra resources to have somebody darken a sky and rotate a bird...
Haha
I guess they tried to 'refine' the icon a little, maybe made it a little more blue to match the new-look apple and spotlight icons? It looks fat to me, prefer the older version.
 

Awimoway

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
1,485
8
California
tech4all said:
Awimoway, where did you get those icons at? Some of those are really nice :D

And when you change an apps icon for the Dock, do you just do the ole "copy and paste" in the Get Info window for the app in the Applications Folder? Then, remove the old icon from the dock, then drag 'n drop the new icon on the Dock?
OS X icon collecting used to be a hobby of mine, although I haven't collected much for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years, so I'm sure there's a ton of great mail icons out there that I don't have. I use CandyBar (from iconfactory.com) to make system-wide changes and the Get Info method for individual apps and folders.

The SNOW.E 2 collections are my favorite, and once I found them, I kind of tired of looking for new icons because everything else paled by comparison.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Awimoway said:
OS X icon collecting used to be a hobby of mine, although I haven't collected much for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years, so I'm sure there's a ton of great mail icons out there that I don't have. I use CandyBar (from iconfactory.com) to make system-wide changes and the Get Info method for individual apps and folders.

The SNOW.E 2 collections are my favorite, and once I found them, I kind of tired of looking for new icons because everything else paled by comparison.
Cool thanks, will check it out :)
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
Awimoway said:
OS X icon collecting used to be a hobby of mine, although I haven't collected much for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years, so I'm sure there's a ton of great mail icons out there that I don't have. I use CandyBar (from iconfactory.com) to make system-wide changes and the Get Info method for individual apps and folders.

The SNOW.E 2 collections are my favorite, and once I found them, I kind of tired of looking for new icons because everything else paled by comparison.

the latest candybar also lets you change the application icons from right there, and allows you to change icons that are used within applications as well, its becoming a pretty powerful app
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Quick question

If you change Mail's icon in the Dock, will you still see the small red star with a number in it when you have new unread emails?
 

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
313
0
tech4all said:
If you change Mail's icon in the Dock, will you still see the small red star with a number in it when you have new unread emails?
Yes, the red notification star is an overlay on top of the icon.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
tech4all said:
If you change Mail's icon in the Dock, will you still see the small red star with a number in it when you have new unread emails?
yes you will, same when you change any app that uses notifications like that