new mba--old mom...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by keepingup, Dec 29, 2013.

1. keepingup macrumors member

1. I am signed on to iCloud on old iMac, iPad, iPhone and new MBA with all being same Apple ID. The phone and iPad and iMac address books are all up to date and sync when I add or delete a card on any of the three devices. However, the new MBA downloaded an old version of the address book. I have tinkered with the account settings and all the Apple support help I can find to no avail. By the way I use gmail on all 4 devices; wonder if that is an issue.

2. The iCloud music download was instant and seamless, but didn't download any songs I had uploaded over the years via CDs. How can I copy this music into my MBA? I have a memory stick, would that work?

3. The memory stick transferred 4000 photos instantly to the MBA but not events, just the photos. Ido I need to recatagorize them manually?

4. Should the air show up on iTunes for syncing with iMac and iPad and iPhone? They do not. [you might be wondering y so many devices. iMac is 2006 and glitchy lately. i want to retire it as soon as i can get the air humming]

Thank you, thank you, thank you
    --old mom wishing she was 25 again

2. lina231 macrumors regular

1. Using gmail should really have no effect on your impotrted contacts. Unless you have used the gmail to sync your contacts. Then that may be the problem. You could try unsyncing your gmail and see what happens.
    2. Music that was imported from a cd to your ipod will not be synced through icloud. Only the music that was purchased through the iTunes Store will sync through the icloud. If you have all of the music on a USB then just import it to your library that way.
    3. I am not too sure about the photos. However from the ssounds of it, it looks likeyou are going to have to reorganize them all.
    4. The MBA will not show up on itunes because its a computer and not a portable device such as the iphone, ipad, or ipod.

Good luck with everything, hope this helps!

3. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

thank you Lina. Maybe I need to stop thinking about the MBA as an IOS device, more like what it is, a computer. It's just that I want to retire the old iMac and want to get everything transferred before I unplug it. Can I ask you one more question? Do you think if I backed up contacts, music, photos and documents to a flash drive or external hard drive, that I could import smoothly into the Macbook Air?

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I suspect you have already started to move data, so this advice may be too late, but Apple provides a tool called migration assistant to transfer all your files, music,data apps and settings from one mac to another.

Link to apple's migration assistant article

5. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I will look at that first thing tomorrow. Salesperson at Apple Store said it was too slow but will take a look myself.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Your Macs have Migration Assistant in the Apps/Utility folder which helps transfer files and apps to new Macs. It will also transfer your program registrations (those that have that) and preference files. You either have to connect the 2 Macs by a cable (and use MA on the new one) or you can run Migration Assistant from your new Mac connected to an external hard drive with Time Machine from your older Mac or a bootable clone of your older iMac.

Before I retired an older iMac I made certain I had an updated bootable clone of the hard drive on an external drive --just in case. (And it recently came in very handy for a deprecated font I desperately needed for a project.) You can make clones easily using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Once you get your new Macbook set up as you wish, it's advisable to make a bootable clone of it too, & also run Time Machine.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Theses days you can also use migration assistant via WiFi or just connect via Ethernet to the source Mac. However apple do recommend a direct connection to enable a quicker transfer i.e. Directly connect Ethernet cable to each mac.

FireWire or thunderbolt would be quicker if both macs support those connections.

8. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Ha! Yes, you are right, wifi is to be avoided for large transfers, I helped my brother set up his Mini a few years ago and we were only able to use wifi, --it took absolutely forever! He didn't have any extra cables and I didn't think to bring any since he's an engineer...

9. cjhmr macrumors newbie

I'm not familiar with the issues you mentioned in the first and fourth questions, but I'm happy to help with number 2 and 3!

iCloud only backs up music purchased from iTunes. However, Apple offers the iTunes Match service which will upload all of the songs you have ripped from your CDs and put them in your iCloud account alongside all of your online purchased music. Once they've uploaded from the old iMac, they'll be available for download on the Air.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

If you're not interested in paying for iTunes Match, it gets a little trickier since some of the songs are there and some aren't. If you have the time and not too big of a collection, you can open the iTunes window on your iMac and open another window with your flash drive plugged into the iMac, and drag the missing songs over. When you're done, you can plug the flash drive into the Air, and drag the songs right back into iTunes.

Regarding your photos no longer being sorted, dragging the photos over to a flash drive will only copy the photos and not any of the organizational information. The good news is that iPhoto has a single file on your iMac that you can drag over to your flash drive (given it has enough space) and open right up on your MacBook Air.

In most cases, you can find the iPhoto Library file by opening your Finder, then clicking "Pictures" from the left menu. You should see a file named "iPhoto Library" and it'll likely be quite large. If your flash drive is big enough, drag it over to your flash drive window to let it copy. When you're done, plug the drive into your Air and drag it to the "Pictures" folder. If you haven't taken any new pictures since you've setup your Air, it'll be safe to overwrite the previous file. The next time you open iPhoto, it may take a while to load all the photos for the first time, but they will all be there, sorted just as they were on your iMac.

Let me know if you have any questions!

10. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Thank goodness I'm off work for ten days...

Good morning. Thanks to you all.I am attempting a Migration Assistant process. Have ethernet cord. Sadly, need adapter for MBA. Have to go to store. Trying wifi migration but revolving circle "looking for source" for five minutes. iMac and MBA are on same network so I don't know…

Will also try the manual transfer using flash drive.

IF all else fails, I have an 11 AM Genius Bar appt. tomorrow:

11. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Details...you need to be signed on to migration ass istant on both computers. Also migration ass wants to transfer all applications data and settings. Not enough memory on MBA. So via wifi is taking 45 minutes to transfer apps. I suspect I will be wiping MBA clean and starting over tomorrow with apple help...

In 20 years I hope we will be able to talk to our new computers and say "please transfer contact s, photos music to new computer". Too complicated for us older folk.

12. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

cjhmr HELP!!!! emergency

Tried to do what you suggested. Dragged iPhoto from pictures in finder to flash drive. Started transfer but said it would take more than a day. stopped transfer. ejected flash and all iPhotos are gone! Please help. We are talking 25 years of family life--7000 photos

13. Weaselboy, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have a lot of data to move over and doing it with Migration Assistant over wifi will take forever.

Do you happen to have an external USB hard drive laying around? If you do, just make a Time Machine backup of the iMac on that drive, then you can use that Time Machine backup as the source of the Migration Assistant import for the new Air.

If you have a lot of data, IMO it would be worth the $80 or so just to buy an external drive to get this done. Then afterward you can use it to backup your new Air.

Just a caution. If you have already made an account on the new Air, then AFTER that run Migration Assistant to import data from that same name account on the iMac, you will have duplicates and a big mess. If you have already made the account on the Air, here is what I suggest. Make a new temp admin account on the Air then from within that account delete the original account you made. Now from within the temp account run Migration Assistant and import everything. That will bring in your original account all your apps and data. Once that is done you can login to your now imported account in the Air then delete the temp account.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Ok step 1 is your iphoto library still in your Pictures folder? The Library is called iPhoto Library.

If it is then iPhoto may just need to be reconnected to the library file. To do this press the Option ⌥ key while starting iPhoto and it will ask were your iPhoto Library is - just point to the Library in your Pictures folder. If the Library is not in your Pictures folder, then it looks like you did not copy the Library to the Flash drive, but you attempted to move it instead. It is possible that the Library is stored somewhere else on the hard disk, so I would do a spotlight search for the file.

Pictures-9.png

15. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

I found a file in trash with 11000 photos. So I clicked PUT BACK and it is so doing so. I am shaking like a leaf and on the verge of tears. This whole experience has been a nightmare. Either I am a total idiot or these transfers are too com

16. lina231 macrumors regular

Like everyone said you can utilize migration assistant. However, it may be slow but it works.

1. It is slow. I did migration assistant from my '06 Toshiba Satellite to the MBA via wifi and it took about 6 hours total. With that being said, I set it up before I went to work and when I cam back it was done.

2. Be careful if you have a lot going on with the original user account, don't get attached to it if you want to do the migration assistant. What the migration assistant does is creates an account from your old laptop to your MBA. I wish someone would have told me that beforehand because then I had to delete my other user account that I had already personalized.

----------

It maybe best if you call apple. They can talk you through the steps of completing file transfers, that way you make sure you have all of your files without accidentally deleting any of them.

17. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Hopefully you have just restored your iPhoto Library. Do you have a backup of your iMac's hard disk, Apple Time Machine (Time Capsule) or something else like one of the cloud backup solutions like Crashplan?

18. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Take a break from this and don't be hard on yourself. Your Genius appointment is terrific and you'll get everything sorted.

It sounds though, like you're moving from a machine with a larger hard drive to a new machine with a smaller hard drive, so yes, shoehorning the older data isn't going to work. Weaselboy's suggestion to get an external hard drive for your new MB Air is excellent.

Something encouraging to note is that when the Apple genius gets everything in order, he/she will probably move all your older pref lists too, including iPhoto's. This means your albums, keywords, etc., will still be accessible on your Air and you won't have to re-sort thousands of photos into albums & events, etc.

Best wishes to you for tomorrow!

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you paid for iTunes Match, then all your music will be in the cloud, and you have the additional advantage that anything ripped at less than 256 Kbit will be upgraded to 256 Kbit.

But something completely different: You should have a Time Machine backup for your computers. If you don't, _run_ to the nearest shop and buy a cheap hard drive to backup your first computer. Once that is done, you can move _everything_ from the Time Machine backup to your second computer. And of course, when the drives on your computers go wrong (which they will, eventually) you have a backup.

20. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Well, I caved. Young wizard on his way over for a NYC hourly rate to put me out of my misery. Will never try to do this myself again.

21. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Can I also suggest that you make at least one backup of your "irreplaceable" stuff. One on-site and one in a secure location (bank). Plus initiate a regular backup routine to the on-site version. That way any tests/transfers you make with your data can be reversed/recovered without adding 10 years to your age !

22. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Dr. sox. Bought a new 500gb external hard drive. Backed up. Made notes on my calendar every few weeks all year to back up.

23. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you use CCC, it will do it every day for you (assuming the drive is connected). That's what I do - to a NAS share. OR use Time Machine.

24. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

25. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Sorry, it's this : http://www.bombich.com.
    Carbon Copy Cloner is the name of the S/W.