New MBP 13 with problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jswoosh, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jswoosh macrumors member

Ok, I literally bought the new MBP 13' i7 about 4 hours ago and I feel that something is already wrong. It seems that my trackpad isn't responding to what I'm doing. For example there's places where I click and the pad doesn't respond. Also when I scroll with two fingers sometimes is randomly goes to expose which I don't want. Another thing is any link I click will automatically go to a tab. The is these things occur randomly.

I have been used to an older model of MBP where the trackpad isn't an all in one mouse/click so I've normally have my thumb on the lower part of the trackpad and my index on the top that way I can move and click quicker (just what I'm used to).

Anyways should this be a reason for concern?

2. idunn macrumors 6502

If actually defective

If convinced the trackpad is not operating normally, take the computer back to Apple asap.

I have a MacBook with separate trackpad and clicker, so not entirely familiar with operation of the new trackpads. But I do know ONE thing, that the first version of this MacBook had a clicker not acting normally, as in seeming to stick, etc. After some experimenting, and convincing myself not just my imagination, I visited an Apple store. The Genius there listened to my complaint, played with the trackpad/clicker in question for about 10 seconds, and then promptly agreed that something was amiss. Result: I walked out of the store with a brand new machine. Problem solved.

So perhaps you are doing something wrong, but time should shortly tell. It is no fun dealing with any issue with your brand new baby. But preferable to suffering with something actually wrong. Like it or not, the time to address this is now.

3. Miss Terri, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

As another person who recently moved to the "one big trackpad" from the separate ones, I am wondering if you are just "accidentally" doing stuff. I know I did, big time!

What about if you go to System Preferences-->Trackpad and disable things like "tap to click" and others like it. Then try it.

I have now gotten so I can use the new trackpad WITH some of these things enabled, but I cannot "rest" my hand like I used to be able to do, so I have given up that comfort. Especially on the 13" which has hardly any "plain computer" below the trackpad (I have actually thought about getting a 15" for this very reason.) OTOH some of the new gestures are really nice, so I'm using them now even though my hand is less comfortable.

One example: Two fingered swiping scrolls, but if a third finger touches down... Zoop! you go right to the bottom of the page. (presuming that is enabled) [Edited to add: although, just experimenting now, maybe you CAN rest your thumb on the trackpad without affecting the three fingered vs. two-fingered actions... that would be sweet... but middle finger touches down... still zoop!]

Can you disable some of these and let us know how it works? Plus, in the Trackpad pref they have a hand showing you what the various things do, so that might help too.

Miss Terri

PS: For future reference, it helps if your thread title is more specific. So say instead of "New MBP with problems" it could be "New MBP with possible trackpad issues?" Seems minor but it can be really helpful for you and for others.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I am an upcoming buyer, and I was in Best Buy today messing around with the 13". I was able to rest my left thumb on the bottom of the trackpad and use my right fingers to point and scroll. I do this with my Latitude that has separate click buttons from the trackpad so I am most comfortable with this method. It seems like the 'trackpad' knows that your thumb is only there to click. It was cool. Try it out.

5. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Take it back, exchange it. Unless it was superly humid or damp out when you were experiencing the problems (your finger and/or the environment that is).

6. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I agree that if there is something wrong... back it goes.

But, in order to save a possibly pointless trip to the Apple Store, if it were me I would still check the trackpad preferences. When I got my first "all one piece" trackpad my cursor was all over the place, and windows and links and expose were appearing and disappearing seemingly at random :eek:

I disabled a few of the prefs, then added them back one at a time as I got used to them. Magically, my trackpad "healed" itself ;)

Again, of course don't keep it if it is defective; but maybe give the prefs a try before trecking to the Apple Store or sending your computer off by mail.

MT

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My trackpad has been incredibly reliable and consistant. I would recommend taking it back and exchanging it.

8. Jswoosh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm definitely taking it back tomorrow. It took a couple of minutes just to be able to reply because everything I clicked on to access the site would either go straight to another tab, maybe stay on the page, but most often wouldn't even work so I feel like this trackpad is defective or something considering the fact that it won't even respond to clicking no matter where I click it. It works about 1 in 10 tries.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get it sorted out tomorrow.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Expose is a three finger action (when enabled) so it sounds like the thumb is being registered and opening Expose (the randomness probably has to do with pressure being applied by the thumb where sometimes it registers as a digit and sometimes it doesn't). I believe that opening links into a new tab is a browser setting. Sounds like your track pad is working normally you just have the same issues the rest if us had when moving from the dedicated click button to the big pad. I had the same issue and had to make adjustments to sensitivities and hand placement coming from the older non-unibody pros. Give it some time and it will become second hand.

10. Jswoosh thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I actually didn't mean expose, I meant that sometimes (I still don't know why) but when I using the trackpad the screen actually slides to the corner not like expose where you see the all the available windows that are open. This is different I actually used to have a button for it on my MBP but now it just does it randomly probably based how my fingers are positioned or something but is there anyway to turn it off. I've looked in system preferences and there is no option to turn off the hiding of screens feature.

Also the tab thing is still going on depending on how I click and I have it set to never open tabs when clicking on a link.

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh