Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypher1203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Hey guys!!
I was wondering how possible it is that in the new version of the MacBook Pro 13 is no Superdrive. I want to know your opinions on that, because I want to buy a MBP but I don't want one without a Superdrive.
So what do you think...

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
In my brofessional opinion, the 13" mbp will LOSE the optical drive. Just buy now if you don't want to lose it then.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
In my brofessional opinion, the 13" mbp will LOSE the optical drive. Just buy now if you don't want to lose it then.

In my brofessional opinion, the 13" mbp will RETAIN the optical drive.

Besides whatever happens, the MBA superdrive will still be available. I bought an ASUS external cd drive for !$20 bucks! and I can even boot from it.

Loud as heck though.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
In my brofessional opinion, the 13" mbp will RETAIN the optical drive.

Besides whatever happens, the MBA superdrive will still be available. I bought an ASUS external cd drive for !$20 bucks! and I can even boot from it.

Loud as heck though.

We shall battle to the death then...

cypher1203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Well thanks for the Quick answers. But the thing is that I also don't want to use an external drive for the MBP.
Another thing. Now that there are some dates for the iPad 2 release, do you guys think that the new MBP will be released in late january or early february??

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Well thanks for the Quick answers. But the thing is that I also don't want to use an external drive for the MBP.
Another thing. Now that there are some dates for the iPad 2 release, do you guys think that the new MBP will be released in late january or early february??

Steve Jobs told me it would be February 4th

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
We shall battle to the death then...

indeed good sir. ready the horses then; we shall duel in the town centre at dusk.

I mean...

yeah...
OP really, no one, NO ONE knows when the new MBPs are coming out. People ask about twenty times every day and we haven't had very many rumors so...the 'rule', if you could call it that, is that you BUY NOW if you need it and WAIT if you don't and always STAY AWAY from this site after you make your purchase so IF the new MBPs come out right after it won't suck as hard.

MCMarshall

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
UK
Pistols at dawn?

Seriously, who knows. Personally I'm waiting to upgrade my 15" 2007 MBP to a new 13" MBP for the next revision, and I do hope that it keeps the optical drive for the reason that if it's removed I can imagine either increasing the battery life or using a non-standard hard drive. The latter means I can't fit a nice SSD myself!

cypher1203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Hey! So I thought about it and I think I am gonna go with the current 13" MBP. I think the Core 2 Duo is fast enough for my needs ( just casual use like iTunes,Chrome,Garageband and maybe some Aperture).
And I think when I get a nice SSD after I got the MBP it will be fast enough.
Or am I wrong that you won't notice much difference from the new sandy bridge to the Core 2 duo??

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does it really matter? Whenever the refresh comes you'll have plenty of opportunity to buy a used or leftover model if you don't like the updated configuration.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Hey! So I thought about it and I think I am gonna go with the current 13" MBP. I think the Core 2 Duo is fast enough for my needs ( just casual use like iTunes,Chrome,Garageband and maybe some Aperture).
And I think when I get a nice SSD after I got the MBP it will be fast enough.
Or am I wrong that you won't notice much difference from the new sandy bridge to the Core 2 duo??
With these needs you'll notice a lot more from an SSD than from a CPU upgrade. That's why the "underpowered" MacBook Airs are running circles around many of the MBPs. But SSDs aren't all that cheap at the moment. Since the prices of the MBP won't change much, just the specs, you can do two things:

1. Wait for the update; buy the old (current) model for a cheaper price; upgrade with SSD.
2. Buy a new MBP (which might or might not have an SDD by default — I'd surprise me though).

In the end you'll spend more or less the same. Personally I'd go for the second option. You can always buy an SSD later when you don't think your system is fast enough and prices drop for larger SSDs. Also, the resell value of MBPs with C2D CPUs will be way lower in a while.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
If they nix the SuperDrive from the MacBook Pro 13", the only real differences between the new MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air 13" will be the processor (New MacBook Pro is likely to have Sandy Bridge). Maybe built-in Ethernet, FireWire, etc....new MacBook Pro 13" is likely to get the 1440x900 display like the 13" MacBook Air.

cypher1203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Well if they nix the Superdrive I won't buy the new one anyway, because I want an internal optical drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.