Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Intel could release it's new upgraded Sandy Bridge CPU's in September already.

This means Apple could release it's redesigned MBP much earlier than X-mas.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Upgraded Sandy Bridge from Intel is hardly a reason for re-designed MBPs, or any Macs that are not already on Sandy Bridge.

More likely an update in spring 2012 to Ivy Bridge.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Ever since the iPhone and Mac Pros didn't come out on time, everyone's been thinking that all the other product lines are releasing at different times now... like, two refreshes in one year? Not happening. So far I've seen this year's been a good year for MBP sales (and iPad 2, so why would there be a 3 in 2011?)

Count on early 2012.

glis

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
I think Apple originally planned to ship a redesigned and slimmed down MBP with a Radeon HD7000 series GPU in October 2011. These GPUs were expected to be shipping by summer 2011. AMD and TSMC have unsurprisingly ****ed up the release schedule again and now these cards are not expected until the very end of the year. Apple has historically never released a new product in late November or December so I'm not sure what their plan B is right now.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I agree with the others that this thread is a waste. Apple has not intentions of releasing a new redesigned MBP in October 2011. I do not know where people get ideas like this... If nothing else, look at their past history for clues to their next release.

-P

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah release a new product RIGHT before Christmas is reserved for the product that has the most bang - iPhone 5 and new iPods.

Criticalmass

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
Everywhere
Apple sticks to their release schedule. The only products they tend to refresh in the 2nd half of the year is their iPods/iPhones. All their computer refreshes usually take place in the Spring time.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Next month is too soon. Apple should be focusing on iPod lines and iPhone updates for this fall.

Late October or Late November is the earliest day you will MBP update. If not, it will go to 2012.

vazelos

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I went to two apple stores before purchasing my Air, also spoke to the online store support people, I got a weird feeling they were all pushing me to purchase a Pro... could it be so they can sell out their inventory and make way for a newer model????? :confused::eek::apple::eek: ?

All I know is, on the online chat, when they would ask what am I looking to use my new macbook laptop for, I'd say something different every time, and every time they would tell me go with the Pro... In the store, I had an employee of Apple talk so badly of the Air, saying it's slower processor, it's flimsy/weak, breaks easily, people come in all the time with the screen detached from the body.. etc etc I was like all like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcE5wjCrQ1c&feature=related .. weird things to be saying..

Def a conspiracy against me purchasing the Air, or was it reverse psychology? :confused: :p:roll eyes: hmmm

Good chat

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Next month is too soon. Apple should be focusing on iPod lines and iPhone updates for this fall.

I have to totally disagree here. Although I agree that a refresh/update on the MBPs is unlikely before January, I think that it WOULD behoove Apple to release them before Christmas if they can. The advantages of a Christmas product are obvious (college students home for break, Christmas gifts, etc).

But more than that, the current MBP is recockulously behind the current high-end PCs in terms of spec. It's rediculous. (I will never agree with Apple's decisions to not at least offer upgraded hardware items as add-ons during the product cycle, but I digress.) Of course this is always true at the end of an Apple product cycle, but right now with schools starting up so soon, the MBP is a horribly over-priced item (particularly the 17") unless you're a die-hard Mac OS user.

I mean the 17" MBP with:
i7 2.3 Ghz processor
8GB Ram
256 SDD drive

vs.
the 17.3" Alienware M17x 3D laptop with the same specs as above, PLUS the following upgrades and still SAVE hundreds of dollars:
1.5GB 3D Video Card
17.3" 3D display (with a pair of Nvidia's 3D glasses)
Blu-Ray drive
Killer wireless card (3x3)

In this build (the one I'd go for), the better-equipped Alienware is $550 cheaper than the MBP, that's WITH my military discount (which cuts over $300 off the price). This isn't specific to this build, the spec/price discrepancies hold down the line.

I think Apple is loosing major opportunities every month they don't refresh the MBP, even if it's just offering minor upgrade options.

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If Intel introduces an improved faster Sandy Bridge in the fall, Apple could introduce that as a CTO option. They did that last year when Intel introduced the improved 2.8GHz i7 Arrandale CPU last fall. Apple then made that its top of the line CPU option for the 15" and 17" MBPs. In November the retail store hi-res anti-glare 15" MBP configuration included the 2.8GHz CPU as standard.

jimmie32

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Beijing, CN
I'm totally shooting myself if i7-2760QM/2860QM/2960XM comes out and there's a new MBP model.
/sarcasm.

Whatever, it's just 200MHz, it's not like you'd notice the difference between a 2.3GHz 2820QM and a 2.5GHz 2860QM. Sure, it's a little faster, but insignificant. Not until i7-3 series comes out anyway (That's Ivy Bridge), that'd probably solve heat issues (die shrink = less power at same speed) a bit and make it a little faster (~20% faster clock-per-clock and ~30% faster IGP, according to Intel plans). :p

And as for the HD 7xxx GPUs, well, yes, that's a considerable upgrade, but I just got the 2011 model, I'm not going to sell just for a new GPU series.

..Though if Liquid Metal comes out.
*checks prices on eBay*

BLOCKMONSTER

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Would be nice if Apple release a desktop-class i7 in a macbook pro ultra or something with dual discreet gpus and 4 ram slots so we dont have to get 8gb x 2. Also include two ready bays to put ssd/hdd in. I would rob banks to pay for 1.

I was close to buying this lil mini heating device: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7282-clevo-x7200-p-2881.html

and turning it into a hackintosh. but sense came over me and got myself a MBP.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Would be nice if Apple release a desktop-class i7 in a macbook pro ultra or something with dual discreet gpus and 4 ram slots so we dont have to get 8gb x 2. Also include two ready bays to put ssd/hdd in. I would rob banks to pay for 1.

I was close to buying this lil mini heating device: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7282-clevo-x7200-p-2881.html

and turning it into a hackintosh. but sense came over me and got myself a MBP.

That will NEVER happen.

First problem is space. Second is heat. Third, that would make it thicker, something Apple will never do. Fourth, too much power consumption. Way too much.

BLOCKMONSTER

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
lol I know... wishful thinking. prob nt in our lifetime.

I would still like (2) 2.5 drivebays and 4 ram slots (+no optical drive). nt too worried about gpus if apple can give me those 2 features.

MKang25

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Two ports for HDs, and 3 USB 3.0 ports and more battery life would be my ideal refresh MBP. Not much more they can do with the form factor. I really doubt they can get it any thinner or have it taper off without using a blade SSD, but blade SSDs are expensive more so than regular SSDs.

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
I agree that the redesign won't happen, but is there a chance of Apple "quietly updating" their MBPs?

It would be a midpoint between the early '11 ones and the forthcoming Ivy Bridge models. Asking because I'll be getting one in the next couple of months and wondering if there'll be a minor refresh before the IB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.