New MBP LED screen - how much better is it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spartanforever, Jun 8, 2009.

1. spartanforever macrumors newbie

60% more gamut equals to what? I'm not bothered by any of the new changes barring the display change, I'm really curious to know how different it really is.

My current unibody MBP screen is brilliant - the best I've ever had so really cant imagine how much better it can get.

Thoughts?

2. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

I feel the same way; my screen is very bright and its gamut is not its weak point; it's resolution: they really needed to up the resolution (1680x1050;WUXG for engineers/designers etc.) as an option or offer a matte option or both.

You can just do so much with 1440x900.

Also removing the express34 is idiotic; i have an esata on my uMBP 15 that enables crazy transfer rates to a 4-disk raid unit, and no, it's not firewire compatible.

I am flabbergasted by that switch from express card on the 15"....WTH

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

The display 'upgrade' sounds very minor unless you do a lot of color-correcting on a 15" or 17" notebook display. My guess is the display 'upgrade' had more to do w/ the new 13" MBP than the 15" or 17". Thoughts?

As far as the ExpressCard slot.... I think Apple figured out that many-oh-many people were not using the slot for anything except a Belkin SD card reader. I've yet to find an expresscard device that I truly needed that was unavailable as a USB device.

4. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Catdog - in terms of resolution, can you help quantify the difference between the 15" MBP and the 17" MBP. Like can one display two web pages side by side vs the other. I currently have a 1st GEN 17" MBP and I think the resolution is 1650x1050. I do a lot of research and writing and have got used to the screen real estate.

I'd like to move to the 15" to get a little more portability. Will I notice a big difference because of the lowered screen resolution? My first thought was to upgrade to the 17" because of the high res screen but the more I think about it - my machine really is too large to transport comfortably and the 15" would work better

cheers,

eV

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Here's a picture of two webpages side by side on the 15" uMBP. (1440x900)
    It's definitely not as good as the 17" in terms of resolution, but it's not THAT bad.

[​IMG]

6. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks mate. That's not bad at all. Quite usable. Could I trouble you to take a screen cap of a website and a document?

Anyone have a 17" MBP to show me a comparison?

(it's nice to see my avatar and post in the example btw :) )

eV

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Here's a screenshot of a page in Safari and a page in Pages. I just copied and pasted a bunch of apple logos and a few posts from the thread.

[​IMG]

8. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks again! You just made my decision for me. The 15" works perfectly for my needs!

Cheers,

eV

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's still a 6 bit panel, meaning it can only show 262,000 colours. Anything else is simulated by dithering. Would be nice if Apple would move to 8 bit panels, which can show 16.7 millions colours.

10. spartanforever thread starter macrumors newbie

The native resolution for the new 15.4 MBP is still 1440 x 900, so i'm not sure if we'll see the same clarity as the 17" which has a native resolution of 1920 x 1200. So i don't really think its an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended :))

So 60% more gamut still has me like ??!!?? I guess i'll have to go to a store to really find out in person.

11. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm coming from a 2006 MBP and pretty sure I will be blown away by the clarity even if its less than the 17" :)

My concern was mainly about screen real estate. I'm picking up my machine from the store tomorrow (went in for a new LCD) and I think I'll compare all 3 (mine, new 15", new 17") in person.

eV

12. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

how did you make your dock black?

13. paintball312 macrumors member

14. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

15. slicecom macrumors 68020

I was ready to buy a 15" Macbook Pro if they upped the PPI to 17" levels, but they didn't so I'll be holding out until the next revision.

16. MedHead macrumors regular

Try DockColor...works a charm, and has the ability to revert to original.

17. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Cool. Let us know how much "better" the new screen are.

18. anthony8400 macrumors newbie

anthony8400

I have a 17" Unibody and I was really baffled when switching from my Early 2008 15" MBP.

For starters, the screen resolution is soooooooooo much better. Everything's so much more beautiful and refined.
    When I'm looking at the 1440x900 screen, I'm like "say whaaat?!".

Color representation and contrast are waaaaay better as well.
    My previous MBP was an LED screen as well.

Here's my screen:

http://img.skitch.com/20090609-d2ae8bsibp2e9hrjj8qg8gshmk.png

Even I don't do any photo editing or what so ever, I prefer the HD screen.

FYI, HD-movies just look stunning on this screen.
    Just DVDs are a bit crappy concidering the low resolution.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

If anyone gets one of the new 15" MBPs, post the display code. I'm really interested to see if it's different than the 9c84 or 9c85 that has been in all the unibodys so far.

20. wolfie macrumors regular

hi, i bought the MBP 2.8 earlier today.

code says 9CA3

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Cool! If you type this command in the terminal "ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6" you will get a display code that tell the panel part number.

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I asked the same thing yesterday and this is what I came up with which may or may not be accurate:

we need to know what the specs were of the old macbooks for that number to mean anything

At Dell they tell you exactly what youre getting: http://www.dell.com/content/learnmo...reen_precn&~lt=popup&~series=precn&~tab=other

Most laptops have 45% color gamut, which is probably what the Macbook Pro had since it wasnt very high end and used a lot of dithering. 60% of 45 is 27, so thats 72%. Dell has a display option that offers 75% color gamut, so that might be the kind of display the MBP uses.

So my guess is that its a 75% color display, which could explain why they still dont give you the actual number since you can get a 100% option from most PC makers.

23. spartanforever thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting, and kind of makes more sense. It can also be 60% over previous gen Macbooks. In any case, I'm just trying to convince myself that it's not much of a difference compared to my 15" uMBP...:)

24. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If you're happy with your computer right now, it's fine. Technology will always get better... it's hard to keep up with it these days.

25. spartanforever thread starter macrumors newbie

yea - i'm happy, but it still hurts a bit. I'll need a couple of days to get over it...the problem is that the new MBP's are so in my face..maybe i should stay off this board a little bit..:)