New MBP not waking up from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carlsbergbeer, Oct 29, 2008.

1. carlsbergbeer macrumors newbie

Hi, Just got my new MBP 2.4, 4GB, 250 @ 7200 rpm about a week ago. Love the computer, but i've been having a problem with the computer not waking up from sleep. Probably half a dozen times I have opened the computer up and gotten a blank black screen. Then nothing. It has forced me to hold down the power button to restart. Has anyone else had this problem? Never happened with my old titanium powerbook...

2. joe2906 macrumors newbie

I'm getting this exact problem with my MBP.

And sometimes I turn it on, and it starts booting up.

This is the first time I've owned a Mac though, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to be doing...

I haven't been able to determine a cause. Any ideas?

Anyone else?

3. sirris101 macrumors member

My New MBP 2.8 is doing this too. I put it to sleep and an hour later when I open it, it basically boots up, without me pushing the power button.

Looks like a glitch. :(

4. Aranince macrumors 65816

I have this problem too sometimes. A good and easy fix is to simply close the lid again, then reopen it.

5. sirris101 macrumors member

This wouldn't work for me, because opening the lid causes the computer to "reboot".

6. joe2906 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else changed their hibernate mode?

I did:
    Code:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    So that my Mac wouldn't try and write stuff to hard disk after I'd closed the lid.

This would explain why it's booting up (rather than un-hibernating), but not why it turns off in the first place.

I've noticed that the light on the front is pulsing until I open the lid, where I get a blank screen. Closing and opening the lid results in the boot screen.

7. carlsbergbeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Bottom line- This shouldn't be happening. Is this something that a future software update might fix?

8. edanuff macrumors 6502

9. nsarwark macrumors newbie

nsarwark

I have a late 2008 MBP (2.53 ghz, 250GB HDD, 4GB ram) that's been having this same problem. I'll stop using it at night and close the lid. When I open the lid in the morning, sometimes the screen stays black, though the sleep light is not fading in and out, indicating that the computer is not actually sleeping.

Multiple opens and closes of the lid, tapping space or trackpad, brief touches of power button, inserting a disc, none of these things will wake it and I have to power it down with the power button (losing my work state on anything I had open).

10. jerlin21 macrumors newbie

This happened to me once so far since I received my MBP this past Tuesday. But for the past couple of days all has been OK... hopefully Apple will release a fix soon!

11. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

Mine's not a Pro, but I do have one of the new MacBooks, and I have a similar issue. I have it set to ask for a password when I wake it, and sometimes nothing happens. The screen lights up and I get a beach ball, but the password prompt never comes up. All I'm able to do is power it off by holding the power button and then reboot. I've tried a clean install of Leopard to no avail, so I'm starting to fear it might be a hardware problem. I have a business trip this weekend, so I won't be able to send it in to Apple until the middle of next week.

I just hope someone at Apple knows this is happening. . .:(

12. carlsbergbeer thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope they are working on a fix too. My 2002 powerbook titanium was absolutely flawless concerning these types of problems, I was hoping my new computer would be too. It is very frustrating. I'm sort of surprised I haven't read anything about this issue on apple.com support forums.

13. ph900921 macrumors newbie

mine has been forcing me to log in twice. id type the password in right, then it blinks and makes me put it in again then it works. ...???

14. joe2906 macrumors newbie

This sounds like the same issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1760972&tstart=0

Have you made any progress? This is happening fairly inconsistently for me - I can't work out what's causing it :(

15. shadie macrumors member

I'm getting this on both OS X and Vista 64, around 70% of the time I either get a blank screen or the computer starts up when coming out of sleep.

It mostly happens when the computer has been asleep for more than 40 minutes.

With or without power makes no difference, I don't have anything plugged into any ports.

Hibernate is the same although letting the battery run down in Vista till it hibernates works ok. Edit: (Scratch that just restarted instead of resuming from hibernate after running the battery down.)

I've tried a clean install with the same results.

This is getting very anoying as I've lost data a few times and now have to shutdown three or four times a day as I don't want to corrupt either OS.

I've also has computer freezes on 5 or 6 occasions in Vista.

This is my first new Mac in 4 years, I gave up after 11 years with the switch to Intel but now after 4 years without issue I get these problems, not a good choice so far and I'm starting to regret the switch back to Mac.

Any advice? I've reset the SMC already.

16. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

I was plagued with this problem on my current 2.2ghz MBP, and found someone who posted a fix for it a while back, but I can't remember what it is :(

17. zebbz macrumors member

im getting this exact same thing as well
    only a few times tho
    but it is quite annoying to have to lose the state the macbook was in when i closed it

18. Nutbeem macrumors newbie

Wow, that's quite a thread over there on the Apple board.

This blows big time.

My deal is that I hook up to an external DVI 24" monitor at work, unplug everything and go home, and the MBP won't wake up. I have to hard-power to get it going.

And, just now, I came IN to work from using it at a coffee place, and it won't send a recognizable signal to the external monitor, nor will it wake on the MBP screen.

I'm going to have to do full shut downs when I change locations until this gets fixed.

19. solusoracle macrumors member

I think I have experienced this too. I am new to Mac so I cannot be 100% sure. Notebook was plugged in and I had closed the lid and came back around 3 hours later and it did not wake up.

I could not get it to start again at all and I was opening and closing the lid, jabbing at the keyboard and the trackpad and pressing the power button. It was only when I realised holding the power button for 8-10 seconds turned off the computer that I was able to get it back into a usable state again.

Other than that one time, I have not had any problems with it at all and I am very happy with it. Screen is perfect and there are no crooked keys or visual imperfections.

20. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

Wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. Does anyone who had a prev. macbook have this same problem or is it a late 2008 model glitch? This also is my first apple and im having a tone of early adopter problems..:mad: there has to be a solution?

21. nzmc36 macrumors member

Same has been happening to me... 2.8 GhZ 7200 rpm HDD, I've been using the mother board based graphics not the faster dedicated card... is this the problem? I've not have the problem when it using the faster system....

22. jamestemroot macrumors member

my friend's macbook pro is having a another problem with regards to sleeping, her hard drive keeps waking up (causing the apple logo to come on) for a few seconds, then going back to sleep?

Anyone else has this problem?

23. nzmc36 macrumors member

II have suspicions that this is a graphics issue, so could all folks replying to this post state which card - fast graphics 9600M GT or slow 9400M graphics processors are running.... that might help ascertain the problem and ease a fix

24. fxstb2002 macrumors member

I don't have this particular problem with mine. However, it will not go to sleep properly if I do not eject at network drive prior to sleeping the computer and then disconnecting it from the network.

25. jaykkub macrumors newbie

Been happening to me too. Happened only once when I first got the laptop, now it's happened a couple times during the past three days. Opening and closing the lid doesn't do anything. I have to hold down the power button in order to get things up and running again.