New MBP + Old Apple LED Cinema Display

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Based on current rumors, will it be possible to connect up the new MBP to my 24" Apple LED Cinema Display (which uses Mini DisplayPort)?

Also, will I be able to power MBP via the monitor's MagSafe connector (as it currently powers my MBA)?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Based on current rumors, will it be possible to connect up the new MBP to my 24" Apple LED Cinema Display (which uses Mini DisplayPort)?

Also, will I be able to power MBP via the monitor's MagSafe connector (as it currently powers my MBA)?
It will, since it's a MiniDisplay port. I'm envious of you, given I always wanted a 24" Apple LED Cinema, but they were eliminated quickly.

Reactions: jordii

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
It will, since it's a MiniDisplay port. I'm envious of you, given I always wanted a 24" Apple LED Cinema, but they were eliminated quickly.
Not to thread jack - what about Thunderbolt display - same? I just know my wife rMB cant use Thunderbolt Display...so figured its not compatible with USB C

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not to thread jack - what about Thunderbolt display - same? I just know my wife rMB cant use Thunderbolt Display...so figured its not compatible with USB C
For MacBooks (Pros as well), any Mac that carries a MiniDisplay Port (and has the appropiate CPU/chipset) is able to drive Thunderbolt based display. Actually, a MacBook Pro can daisy chain up to 3 displays if I'm not mistaken.

That's why a new MBP with a MiniDisplay Port will driove that 24" Apple LED Cinema.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
For MacBooks (Pros as well), any Mac that carries a MiniDisplay Port (and has the appropiate CPU/chipset) is able to drive Thunderbolt based display. Actually, a MacBook Pro can daisy chain up to 3 displays if I'm not mistaken.

That's why a new MBP with a MiniDisplay Port will driove that 24" Apple LED Cinema.
I thought the rumors about the new rMBP don't include a MiniDisplay port?

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I've really enjoyed the monitor, and it was a good price, too!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Display port will go over the tb3/USBc ports with no worries at all you'll need an adapter or a new cable but it's just a display with the same inputs as other displays it will be fine.