New MBP + Old Apple LED Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordii, Oct 18, 2016.

1. jordii macrumors regular

Based on current rumors, will it be possible to connect up the new MBP to my 24" Apple LED Cinema Display (which uses Mini DisplayPort)?

Also, will I be able to power MBP via the monitor's MagSafe connector (as it currently powers my MBA)?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Good question. I have two Thunderbolt displays - plan to get the new rMBP....hmm this could be bad.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will, since it's a MiniDisplay port. I'm envious of you, given I always wanted a 24" Apple LED Cinema, but they were eliminated quickly.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Not to thread jack - what about Thunderbolt display - same? I just know my wife rMB cant use Thunderbolt Display...so figured its not compatible with USB C

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For MacBooks (Pros as well), any Mac that carries a MiniDisplay Port (and has the appropiate CPU/chipset) is able to drive Thunderbolt based display. Actually, a MacBook Pro can daisy chain up to 3 displays if I'm not mistaken.

That's why a new MBP with a MiniDisplay Port will driove that 24" Apple LED Cinema.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I thought the rumors about the new rMBP don't include a MiniDisplay port?

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple would likely include a USB-C to MiniDisplay Port... if that happened. Anyways, those are rumors.

8. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

I've really enjoyed the monitor, and it was a good price, too!

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Display port will go over the tb3/USBc ports with no worries at all you'll need an adapter or a new cable but it's just a display with the same inputs as other displays it will be fine.