New MBP ordered, now thinking about accessories...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AriGold, Oct 26, 2010.

1. AriGold macrumors member

Just order my 13" MBP and am now looking into the possibility of some accessories for it.

I will be using it as a portable laptop for the next few weeks but when I get back home to the UK it will spend most of its time at my desk.

With this in mind I am thinking about the Magic Mouse and Wireless/wired keyboard. And a decent sleeve.

Are the mouses and keyboards really worth it and where is the cheapest place to get them?

Also is there anything else you would recommend to a new MBP owner?

2. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I would recommend what I have on mine. It's adds special powers to the MBP.

Attached Files:

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

These are a must for me:

-Wrapsol body shield
    -Moshi palmguard
    -a decent mouse!

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Nice. :D

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey i owned magic mouse for about 2 years i would score it 4/10, was not great and the ball gets sticky and really buggy at times

i have now had a magic mouse for almost 2 months, and i am extremely satisfied with it! works great, batteries seem to last forever, i love the ergonomics and it just feel so good.

I have used the wire key boards several times and know a guy who owns 2..... i would probably not buy 2 but i definitely like them, it feels identical to your laptops keyboard so theres no adjustment time and they are just so damn sleek >_<

6. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

I'm happy that my University sells those sleeve like the Incase for $9.
    The quality is incredible and comparable to $40 sleeves.

I bump and hit stuff during transport. My MacBook Pro is still safe.

7. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

Ive also been looking at upgrading the HD to the momentus XT and the ram up to 8mb.

I think this would be a better option than the mouse and keyboard.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I hear the SSD trolls coming, hurry and buy the XT.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

wait until you play around with it for a while ... basically you do not need anything to start out with.

the MBPs are super slick right out of the box

Enjoy

10. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

i got a fully loaded 15" and right before turning it on swapped out the HD for the Momentus XT and upped the ram to 8GB. updated all apps to the latest and greatest, Aperture, Final Cut Express, Office 11, Parallels with XP, you name it I hae it on here, and still everything runs so fast....office opens in like no time, and as the XT learns things are very very zippy....overall im very happy with my upgrades....oh and of course the normal incase messenger bag...I do also have the magic mouse, wireless keyboard and the 24" LCD....I think next purchase will be the trackpad, kind of annoying being docked and such a nice screen and cant do gestures....

11. Resist macrumors 68030

I think you mean mighty mouse. Because the magic mouse has only been around for a year and doesn't have a ball.

12. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

Ill see how I get on with it first. Might save the mouse and keyboard for a later date.

Its just electronics are much cheaper here in the US than at home in the UK.

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

What I did to mine and recommend:

8GB memory
    SSD/Optibay
    Invisible Shield from ZAGG
    neoprene sleeve case
    external DVD-RW

14. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

I got Razer Orochi Bluetooth... recently.

It is way better than Magic Mighty Mouse. I can bet you with that.

15. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

A full 6mm of neoprene on the inside and ballistic nylon on the outside (Incase is only 3mm neoprene, no ballistic nylon). Available in both horizontal and vertical openings and the quality is excellent (build and materials).

Get whatever cables and adapters you may need. If you plan on hooking up to external monitor/tv, get the wireless keyboard and trackpad (so you can run in clamshell mode), along with an Apple remote (only $19 here and great for music and Front Row for movies, shows, etc.). Pick up an iKlear kit. What else...headphones? External hard drive for backups? External speakers?

If accessories are cheaper here, get whatever you can now. If you don't need it after you get back home, you can always sell it to someone for what you paid for or even make a few bucks profit...;)

ps: and ditch the mouse, trackpad is 1000x better. You'll see once you get used to it.

16. Xil3 macrumors regular

Yeah, Apple is really taking advantage of people in the UK - the prices are ridiculous. When you do the exchange, it ends up being like 50% more than the US products.

I could literally pay for a flight from London to New York (return), buy a brand new MBP (top of the line), and still save like $300-400.

Stupidity...

17. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the advice, Macbook arrived today, still getting used to the trckpad! Arethe remotes $19 from apple? Also what would you recomend for an external HD at a reasonable price as I definitely want one of these.

Exactly, Saved almost £400 buying my macbook here!

18. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

19. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

20. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

uhmm what? when did the magic mouse get a ball? and i never knew it came out 2 years ago...what a conspiracy.

21. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I like the satin covers from Speck, but I must caution these are not meant to be taken on and off coz the clips that hold them in place are brittle but they certainly give it a nice custom sleek look to it. I carefully take them off every few months to clean off any accumulated dust.

Also moshi palm guard and moshi keyboard covers.. keyboard covers are a MUST u do NOT want to be a victim of accidental spillage. I have tried powesupport palmguard/track pad, thing is the suede feels nice but even after I prepped the surface before laying it down it doesnt stick on well. So I would give that a miss.

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I personally thing the only thing you need is some neoprene sleeve and a decent mouse. Apple mite not decent IMO.
    I don't get the point of this Wrapsol, palmguard, cases and so on. Apple put in some effort to make the surface of the aluminium fairly scratch resistant and it is also easy to clean and doesn't seem like it gets specky over time like a plastic notebook. Maybe after 2 or 3 years of use it may have some scratches but who cares. It is a waste of money IMHO and only recommended for those who think they have some holy magical fashion item in their hands.

A sleeve is useful. Once in it nothing hurts the MBP and you can throw it in any kind of bag you may find. Or you just put some paper and a pencil into the sleeve along with the notebook hand head out.

23. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Just get a decent sleeve. Magic mouse is also great. Don't get a keyboard...

24. Wattser93 macrumors regular

25. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think I will get one.

Incase deluxe sleeve
    apple remote
    HDMI Adaptor

I will also need an external HDD to transfer my files over from my PC. I thought this could be a good opportunity to upgrade the HDD in my MBP?