New MBP Owner, Tap to Click suggestion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chetoc230, May 22, 2010.

1. Chetoc230 macrumors member

Hi,

All time PC user and finnaly picked up my first mac... a brand new 2010 2.4 MBP!

Just wondering.. being used to normal tap to click functions from PC machines im wondering.. do most of you MBP users use tap to click or actually use the click on the trackpad?

I've noticed using the click is more accurate as far as responses, but isnt as efficient/fast as using tap to click.

Can i get suggestions from you MBP users on what you guys use? I'm far in between the two so i want to know which one i probably should use so i basically "learn" to use it over time.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Also.. noticed when i activate tap to click and use dragging... when i start to drag a window, and find the place i want to leave it.. i'll raise my finger like 1mm in the air and it still registers my finger there and will still move it. it wont unlock my finger from the drag lock unless i lift it more than 3mm off the trackpad... anyone else running into that problem?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I use tap-to-click, unless I need to click-drag something - in which case I use the mechanical "click". I don't use the tap-drag, as it introduces a slight delay when just tap-clicking.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I use tap to click as well as to drag. It saves my finger joints from aching after a while.

4. aquapulco macrumors newbie

I also use tap-to-click, although not every tap is recognised.
    I started an other thread regarding this issue, but it seems there is no resolution for this problem.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

This is what I do as well, I don't like the delay tap-dragging causes.

6. silencer88 macrumors member

I actually prefer the physical click. I just rest my thumb on the bottom of the trackpad and use it to press the button/trackpad

7. Chetoc230 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone.

the tap to click ppl. are you guys coming from pc users? or is this just a natural feel to you?

8. hassoon macrumors regular

enter system preferences > trackpad > check tap to click option.. it's deselected..!

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Tap to click. Coming from a PC. I can use the trackpad for most graphics work except for drawing, completely with this trackpad because of its versatility.

That being said, occasionally I click to drag. :)

10. MorganK macrumors regular

Tap to click, click to drag. I use a HP laptop and my MBP so the tap to click is natural since both use it.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I use tap-to-click because it gives me the benefits of the no-button touchpad, but there is still a real button when I want to use it (for dragging, for example). I really dislike the current no-button touchpad and I'm glad I don't have one.

Tap-to-click has a slight lag if tap-to-drag is also enabled. If you disable tap-to-drag, your computer will feel noticeably more responsive when using tap-to-click.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't use tap to click. Mainly because its annoying when you tap-click things by accident.

13. Chetoc230 thread starter macrumors member

Seems like the majority consensus is to use tap to click but not tap to drag. Thanks everyone!

14. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

This was my concern, but I have yet to really have a problem with it in OS X like I've had with some of my windows laptops. One of my biggest concerns was that I would click with my palms when typing accidentally as I've done many times on my wife's acer as well as my netbook. I discovered that Apple handles this very well and I have never had a problem of my cursor jumping around while I'm typing.

However, I do not use the tap to drag because it got annoying. I either accidentally dragged a window or didn't let go when I wanted to or something, plus the delay as others have mentioned. So I just stick with click to drag. Everything feels very natural.

15. akramer macrumors member

I think the majority of people using tap-to-click are former PC laptop users. As someone that's never used a windows laptop (plenty of desktop time with real mice, but not much trackpad time) I find tap-to-click to be a horrid abomination. That said, Apple's implementation is wonky with tap-dragging, but it does a better job of detecting and avoiding spurious palm-clicks in my experience.

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I hated tap to click so much on my Windows laptop I disabled it. I click, always.

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1. Tap-to-click is more efficient in terms of use between actually clicking and tapping. :}

18. cyclical macrumors regular

I use tap for click/drag. But I use a mouse when I'm in Photoshop. First Mac and first notebook.

19. swish2351 macrumors 6502

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

On the Netbooks at school tap to click is set on all of them. Grrr, its so annoying:mad:

21. pacmans macrumors newbie

pacmans

I also do this. Coming from a PC laptop it's become a habit to rest my thumb at the bottom of the trackpad.

22. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I use the tap-to-click ALLL the time. But even better is the two finger control click. That has saved me so much hand motion!

23. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Same, but I have three fingers for middle click as well using bettertouchtool.

24. torpy macrumors regular

I've never owned a PC laptop and I use tap to click (but not drag, that drives me nuts). On the other hand, when using a PC laptop I always use the buttons, the tap to click on one of those is extremely finicky and I find them almost impossible to use..

(and thanks for the three-finger suggestion, I'm gonna set that up right now ;) )

25. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I've always physically clicked down on the trackpad. Perhaps it's because I've only owned Macs (as opposed to PCs, on which many have tap-to-click as their default). Tap-to-click just feels sloppy, it's too easy to click on something accidentally. Physically pressing down enables the user to click with purpose. I feel more sure about what I'm doing when I physically click down.

A lot of PC people don't understand that. They don't even know how to click that way. When I explain that to people, they think they have to use two hands, or move their fingers all around, blah blah blah. It's really not that difficult: move the cursor around the screen using your pointer finger and use your thumb to click. This even gives you simple access to multi-touch capabilities (two-finger scroll, etc.)

The correct way to use your trackpad: ;)
    WITHOUT tap-to-click!

[​IMG]