New MBP Possible Upgrading to 16GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjb64, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjb64 macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I apologize if this has already been mulled over, new to this Forum and just purchased a 13" MBP w I5 2.4Ghz, 8GB 1600 RAM and 256GB SSD....
    First experience with Mac OS (other than Iphone), since 1994 when I had a Mac Performa ;)

Anyhow, I'm interested in beefing up my RAM from 8GB to 16GB, but have read conflicting info, some stating that the RAM can only be upgraded at the time of purchase others saying that the new Late 2013 MBP 13" model can be upgraded....?

Anyhow, I'm certainly capable of installing a couple of RAM Chips as I do build Custom Gaming PC's (Air Cooled and Water Cooled).....I did have my old ASUS G51J Notebook apart to replace both HD's with SSD's....so HW installation I'm fine with.....with all that said:

Here is my MBP, purchased 19 June 14

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=a488c0e45bfc7277a2de1b9205af1cacen02

Assuming it is 2 x 4GB RAM Slots....these are the 2x 8GB Corsair Chips I'm looking at, everything about them states they're compatible:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-apple-16gb-2x8gb-ddr3-1600-33-76586.htm

For a $200 CDN simple upgrade, now, is it just a matter of taking out the screws on the back of the MBP and the RAM Slots are easily accessible?

Thanks for any help folks, glad I found this Mac Forum, I'm sure I'll have lots of queries in the future with my new toy ;)

Cheers
    RJ

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The memory in Retina Macbook Pro computers cannot be upgraded.

3. rjb64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer....why is that? Are the Chips soldered to the Board or something similar? ....not straight forward Slots?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's exactly right.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Indeed, the RAM is soldered on the main board.

6. rjb64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah okay thanks guys for quickly clearing that up.....drag.....you're stuck with what you get ;(

Take it that also means you cannot upgrade the SSD to a 512GB either?

Oh well...8GB seems fine I suppose, for what I do there always seems to be 3-4GB kicking around.....

7. goMac macrumors 603

The SSD can be upgraded. Apple doesn't sell any SSDs, but there are third party ones. The SSD is not soldered.

8. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

The SSD is not soldered on the board so it's upgradable. However, apple uses a proprietary SSD format so you might have to search eBay or something

eBay SSDs

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

There are no 3rd-party SSDs on the market that fit the current crop of rMBPs. OWC has replacements that fit Ivy Bridge (mid-2012, early-2013) computers, but they're overpriced and use the unreliable Sandforce controller.

I recommend going with 2nd-hand, original equipment Apple parts if you want to upgrade the rMBP, regardless of model.

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Transcend also has replacement drives available for the 2012 and early 2013 rMBPs: Transcend Debuts JetDrive SSD Upgrade Kits Up to 960GB for MacBook Air, Retina Macbook Pro

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

There is no conflicting info anywhere. It is firmly known all around that :apple: solders their ram in.
    On the new macbooks that is.
    Who told you that you can upgrade the ram?

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The old(but still currently for sale) 13" MBP has upgradeable RAM. I can see where there might be a little confusion.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

he specifically mentioned the new late 2013 macbook.
    :apple: warns you on their webpage that the ram is soldered in and there is no conflicting info anywhere.

14. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I see that, but my point still stands. Some folks don't know the difference between the two and are misinformed, hence the conflicting information(not specifically from Apple).

16. rjb64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Sir....that is EXACTLY my point....perhaps the other dude would have gotten the part that Im new to Mac and was getting "conflicting" news from various Googled web sites whether I can upgrade or not.....2 different versions of the same MPB..."early n late"....didnt realize I would get challenged on my query....although I am new to this Forum and like some of the Overclockers Forums I belong to there are always "those" ;)

Thanks again guys for answering the question....so with the SSD's I cant simply pick up any OEM Gen3 Intel, Samsung Evo or OCZ Vertex ...no ? Usually I can find great deals on a 480GB model.

That is a real drag with the RAM, oh well, should have done a little more homework I suppose....

17. goMac macrumors 603

No. They have to be special blade SSDs that are for the Macbook Pro.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

neither the "early" nor the "late" retina model are upgradable.
    I wasnt challenging you, I am merely curious who is spreading false information.
    Also wikipedia is usually a quicker way to find certain answers.
    The ssds in the new macbooks are hypothetically upgradable with special ssds, its not economical though.

19. saturnotaku, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Let's be absolutely clear:

1) You can not use a standard 2.5-inch SSD in a Retina MacBook Pro except as external storage.

2) The mid-2012 and early-2013 Retina MacBook Pro use a proprietary Serial ATA interface that can be upgraded with your choice of A) Second hand Apple original equipment, B) Transcend JetDrive 720, or C) OWC Aura. Of these three, I would personally select A or B as their controllers are more reliable.

3) The late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro uses a proprietary PCI-Express interface that is not upgradable unless it is with a second-hand original Apple part. There are currently no third-party solutions for these models.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can upgrade neither the RAM (as it is soldered on the board in these machines) Nor the SSD (as it is a blade type SSD with a proprietary connector, no third parties make such a SSD at the moment). As of right now you are stuck with what you bought.

You should've researched a bit before buying if you did buy it with the intent to upgrade right away.

21. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

At least the OP has the bearable $1500 rMBP model. You can still do allot with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.

If he would have found this out and he had bought 4GB/128GB SSD model, that would have been disastrous.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

You dont even know what the OP is diong with his macbook.
    The 2.4/4/128 is an excellent machine.

----------

Very well explained!
    Also buying a rmbp with the intent to immediatly upgrade it is not a wise idea.

23. TechZeke, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

What? The OP is trying to upgrade to 16GB of RAM.(If you do the math, that's 4x 4GB of RAM ;) ) I'd imagine Someone who is trying to upgrade to 16GB probably needs more than 4GB of RAM. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to say the 4/128 was a bad machine.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

the OP is also someone who bought a brand new rmbp without knowing the specs ...

... Now, a few days after buying a 1.5k laptop he is trying to screw it open to put another ssd and ram in it ...

There is no telling if he really needs 16gb or what the hell he might be doing ... :rolleyes:

25. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

LOL Touche

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.