New MBP - same HDD??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Sep 10, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm considering upgrading to a new MBP - I assume I can just swap my old hard drive to the new machine without any major issues? Or will it freak out over hardware changes like my Windows machine would??

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on the model of MBP you already have.

You should have at least the same Mac OS X version on it, that the new model comes with, currently Mac OS X 10.6.4. If that is the case, running a software update on the new MBP with the older MBP's HDD should get you the newest drivers, especially the one for the 320/330M.

[​IMG]

3. PenguinMac macrumors member

You assume incorrectly. My Mac Mini would not boot from an Apple Store copy of OS X because of lack of drivers for the new hardware. You may not be able to boot an old version of OS X then download the newest drivers; judging by my Mini, it may not boot at all.

And this is the Mac Pro desktop computer forum, you might get better answers in the MacBook Pro forum.

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah cool, thanks for the info guys - sorry I didn't realise I had posted this in the complete wrong forum!

Yeah it's only a year or so old so it will, I assume, be using the same software version etc...

5. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

if you update to the last OS version, it should work.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

as long as you have the latest updates your fine.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Just curious but wouldn`t it be easier to use time machine to swap your data onto the new drive?

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Or to use the migration assistant. That actually works like a champ.

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

if your new MBP has an express card slot and your old MBP does not have the slot you could have a problem using the slot. express card slots are nice for fast external connections.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/EXP34SATA2P1/ I think the 17 inch MBP's have the slot

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This may not be a good idea. Go buy a firewire cable and transfer everything. There may be some issues with the drivers. It will still work, but things like video will stutter for (seemingly) no reason.

It is likely that the OP doesn't have a time machine backup.

11. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Probably, yes, but the whole point of wanting to do this (which I should possibly have mentioned in the OP) is that I have a 500GB HDD which I'd like to keep instead of the 180GB or whatever drive comes as standard in the new MBPs......