New MBP vs Old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lude2Envy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Lude2Envy macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I just got my first macbook pro three weeks ago and I love it. But I just saw yesterday that Apple came out with new models. A lot of my friends are telling me to take mine back and get the new one because of the core i5 cpu and the thunderbolt. I'm only using MBP for school. I have a desktop that I game with. The biggest turn off to me on the new models is the integrated intel graphics. I love how mine has nvidia graphics that don't share memory with the ram. I know the core i5 is a lot better than the core2duo but I can't decide what to do. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

your nvidia 320m DOES share memory with ram. 256mb , but it does.
    get the new. the ONLY reason to not get the new is for gaming (and even there, it's comparable).
    edit: forgot the most important part. the new cpus are A LOT A LOT a lot a lot faster than the old ones. just wanted to emphasize that :p

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I would get the new one just for Thunderbolt.

4. Lude2Envy thread starter macrumors newbie

I got mine on Feb. 3rd. Will I have any problems taking it back for the new one?

5. Oetam, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Oetam macrumors newbie

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

7. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Don't read so much into the Geek benchmark scores. That test is designed to take advantage of all four cores, so naturally the scores are going to be ramped up compared to the dual core processors. In real life, day to day use, there isn't anything you'll use that's going to read all four cores. The reality is that there is about a 12% speed bump on actual use GPU tests, but how much of that gain is lost overall because of graphics that are inferior to the last generation MBP?

8. Oetam macrumors newbie

Well, installing a game or encoding a video are very 'real world' type tests for CPU power and it was here that 2011 performed twice as good, not the geekbench.
    I believie we're talking about the 13" model which has two cores, right?

9. Oetam macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing that typo out.

10. Ferry888 macrumors member

If possible I'd swap. I think it was not so nice from the sales person not to tell you that there were new MBP's coming out soon, that probably would've hold you back from the purchase and wait for the new one's.
    I would at least give it a try if it's possible.

11. Catholic13 macrumors newbie

They'd get fired if they did. ;)

12. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

Apple store employees no nothing more than you and I. they found out about new products the day they are launched. Furthermore, many of them stop reading gadget blogs like Macrumors, Engadget, and Gizmodo because a) its frowned upon and b) they just dont want to be "polluted" with rumors. Especially, since they get asked about 50 times a day about new products which have not yet been released.

13. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought my first Mac a Pro on the 5th feb. I was aware that a new model was coming out but people were saying that the Ipad 2 would drop first and then MacBooks April/May. Based on that i took the plunge and went for the Pro 13 inch. Ah well.

14. krazed1 macrumors newbie

I was in the same Boat, bought my MBP February 11.
    I Bought from futureshop and they offered me an ultimatum

1) Trade it off on the new MacBook that would be in stock in less than a week

or

2) They dropped the price of the "older" MBP I just purchased, and gave me 200$ back in my pocket if I decided to keep this one.

I went with the cash back in my pocket, for what I use the mbp for, its plenty fast enough and I honestly think Ill be happy with this model. Not to mention the extra 3 hour battery life.

15. Sarngate macrumors regular

Your model will have equivalent or worse battery life compared to the new one.

16. Lude2Envy thread starter macrumors newbie

I exchanged it last night. They have a 14 day time limit but they did it for me anyway even though I was at 23 days. It was either exchange it or get $100 knocked off my old one.

17. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You have 30 days to exchange your old MBP for a newer model if a refresh happens.

18. Lude2Envy thread starter macrumors newbie

They told me 14 but did it anyway......good to know though.

19. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

14 for a refund, 30 for an exchange ONLY if a refresh just occurred.

20. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Maybe equivalent....but worse? I have not seen that anywhere.

21. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

i gave it a quick look but dont see battery stats...I need to did down further i guess.

22. krazed1 macrumors newbie

I doubt Worse. Its been said the 011 and 010 models of the 13" have the same battery. With the 2010 having a lower end processor, Id assume it would last ATLEAST the same if not longer. But Agreed Not 10 Hours of life.

23. TomCondon macrumors regular

to set the record straight for people like you.

1) after 14 days you have no right to bring it back to the shop
    2) If you do find the manager is willing to go out of his way to be nice to you and returns it, he is probably just being incredibly nice
    3) to think that you have a right to do this is just arrogant.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Caveat Emptor"?

http://tinyurl.com/35tt645