New MBP with old chargers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h2009, May 5, 2010.

1. h2009 macrumors member

Hi there,

I've got alot of old MBP charges around (magcharge types) from my Macbooks 13" (1st gen) and Macbook Pro 15" (1st gen). I was wondering if it is safe for me to use them with my new Macbook pro 17"? Will it damage the battery or cause charging issues?

The reason why I ask is because the 17" wattage is different on my new charger I got with the laptop.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

As far as I know you should be fine using other charges, the only issue is that those 17" s have big batteries so if you decide to charge it up on one of the Macbook 60W chargers its gonna take a lot longer to recharge. I can't remember what wattage the Pros had in 1st gen ( I know it is now 85W) so I assume they might be of a higher wattage and it would be better to use those instead.

3. h2009 thread starter macrumors member

4. pneves macrumors newbie

Hello.

The MacBook PRO 15" and 17", with exception of 15" with only Nvidia 9400 uses a 85W power supply, while 13" use a 60W one. As a result I would not recommend the use of 13" power supply on a 17" machine. If you take notice, the 85W ones have dual mode, and as such can also be used on 13", but not the inverse.

Best regards,
    Paulo

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Using a charger with a lower Watt rating than the computer will sooner or later destroy the charger. The MBP will not be harmed except that I don't know what will happen when your charger finally gives up its life.