Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

ftrtrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I've never paid a whole heck of a lot of attention to my CPU speeds, but lately I've been using Compressor a lot, and it seems like my compressions are taking HOURS longer than my old 2008 iMac (Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz) with 3GB RAM

I'm running a new MBPr 2.6GHz quad-core i7 with 16GB Ram now -- and it's running tremendously slower than I had envisioned. Am I just being unrealistic? Is there some way to ensure my CPU is performing at top speeds -- Can anyone point to an overclocking 101 article/thread if that might help my situation?

Thanks for your help!

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Try resetting the SMC.

With the MBP off and power cord plugged in, press CTRL + ALT + Shift + Power simultaneously and hold them for some seconds and then release. The light at the magsafe connector may turn so keep an eye on it. If it doesn't, do it for 2 or 3 times just to make sure you did it right.. then turn on your Mac and see if you notice a difference. This won't make you lose any info whatsoever.

Comment

mfram

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Maybe you are having thermal throttling? Is the computer getting a lot of cooling? Heat will bring down your performance.

Comment

ftrtrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Maybe you are having thermal throttling? Is the computer getting a lot of cooling? Heat will bring down your performance.

The base and back of the MBP are definitely pushing my comfort zone when I feel the heat.

Comment

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Could you run geekbench on it so we can see a numeric representation of its performance?

It might be worth while running a disk speed test (Blackmagic is free on the app store) since a faulty SSD could cause slow performance too.

Comment

scenox

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
There is definitely something wrong, performance on the rMBP with 2,6 Ghz i7 CPU with flash storage should be remarkably faster than on your old MBP, independent on what compression method are you using.

Some people have encountered a faulty thermal sensor which drops performance significantly. There might also be a problem with your flash storage. Do the apple hardware test, reset the SMC and do some benchmarks.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The base and back of the MBP are definitely pushing my comfort zone when I feel the heat.
Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. Don't rely on how hot it feels, as it's quite normal for Macs to be hot to the touch under heavy workloads.

Comment

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
An idea: Another MR user reported sluggish performance after encrypting with FV. He has a SanDisk SSD. His write speed was roughly halfed after encryption. This does not affect Samsung SSDs (I have one).

Comment

ftrtrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Could you run geekbench on it so we can see a numeric representation of its performance?

It might be worth while running a disk speed test (Blackmagic is free on the app store) since a faulty SSD could cause slow performance too.

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-03%20at%201.22.08%20PM.png

Comment

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
That's a good 1,000 less than I'd expect to see. I have the exact same machine here and this is the result:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-03-at-21.39.33.png

Tbh, I'd try doing a clean install of OS X. If that doesn't work, a trip to the Genius Bar may be in order - definitely sounds like it's throttling itself.

Comment

ftrtrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
That's a good 1,000 less than I'd expect to see. I have the exact same machine here and this is the result:

Tbh, I'd try doing a clean install of OS X. If that doesn't work, a trip to the Genius Bar may be in order - definitely sounds like it's throttling itself.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll make an appointment.

Here's the disk speed test :
DiskSpeedTest.png

Comment

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Just saying - it's not healthy for the SSD if you keep running disk benchmarks.

Anyway, I bet it's throttling. Apple does a notoriously horrible job with thermal paste in all of their notebooks (I replaced my Mac's months ago). Under extended load, it's not unreasonable to assume that your processor is getting into the 90's and cutting back.

It could also be GPU throttling. Some applications supplement video encoding tasks with the GPU, so any throttling there would be felt in the time it takes to complete a long term task.

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Compressor does not automatically use all cores (in fact it uses only one or two at most) unless configured in a cluster.

Did you configure compressor correctly?

Apple apps are TERRIBLE at multi core operations.

Comment

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
I would reset SMC, and just for good measure, clear the PRAM.

My rmbp was getting pretty hot running VMs for a while--like 80-95c, and it was slowing down. After resetting SMC, the most I have seen is 72c (with 3 VMs open and multiple spaces open, including 3 IDEs), and the speed improved.

Comment

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

1000 points can be accounted for by using the 64-bit version of Geekbench. You used the 64-Bit version, where as the OP might have only used 32-bit. I have the same exact same machine and get around the OP's score using 32-bit, and just over 13000 using 64-bit.

Comment

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Just saying - it's not healthy for the SSD if you keep running disk benchmarks.

So says the time traveler from 2008. ;)
In the present it does not matter one bit. If the SSD cant take it, it sucks. Buy one that can.\

1000 points in Geekbench does not explain the core2duo disparity. Rendering SD vs. HD would. Or H264 vs mpeg. Same footage, same codec, try again. The i7 will blast the core 2 a new one.
Core 2 @2.4GHz = 3200
Core i7 @2.3GHz = 11,000 (avg. 32-bit "Free GB version")
See the difference?

Last edited:
Comment

Queen6

macrumors G3

Screen-Shot-2013-01-03-at-21.39.33.png

No do not reinstall OS X as the average GeekBench score for the 2.6 i7 Retina is 11684, to drop a 1000 points on this type of test is not unknown. If you shutdown, restart close any start up apps you may well find the score improves.

Your machines issue is likely related to an application specific problem or throttling due to high temp. The Intel Power Monitor will give you a clear graphical picture of what is happening to the machine under load. Run the monitor, use Compressor as normal, you can then switch back to the Power Monitor, if your CPU frequency drops when the system is under heavy load then throttling is confirmed and you may have to look at ways to keep the system cooler or potentially return it to Apple.

See Intel Power Monitor below, classic throttling of a i7 MBP, CPU frequency and power demand drop in order to keep the CPU within thermal limits, net result is a reduction in performance. This is a Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 MBP dropping from over 3GHZ to 2.3Ghz due to thermal management, during a video encode using Handbrake (multicore) this can result in as much as 30 - 40 fps reduction, significantly increasing the duration of the encode. As a comparison my other 15" MBP a base Retina does not throttle and will encode all day at 80 - 90 fps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 2.46.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 2.46.13 PM.png
    128 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.