Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it safe to believe that 17" MBPros will not appear sooner than MWSF2008 due to the high cost of producing larger than 15" LED displays? I mean if Apple is going to announce new MBPros, then surely it will want the 17" to go LED. Said that, LEDs are still pricey at larger than 15" (or am i wrong), so 17" are not an option to go LED. So why not wait untill MWSF08 when prices for 17" will have dropped, and then announce the new MBPros with all its models, finally, LED ready.

What do you think of this theory?

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
yeah, good theory, but if its offered in an option already then you cant really factor that in. it will just be standard when apple decides to do a revamp.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So you guys think that its possible on Sept9th to go announcing new MBPros? What are the odds, strictly speaking?

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
They willlllll NOT do anything BEFORE THE BACK TO SCHOOL PROMO ENDS.

it is APPLES way of making money by clearing inventory!

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!!!!!!

sept 16th maybe. MAYBE

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
September 9th? None. Where are you getting that date?

September 16th? Maybe.

sept 9th was the date they speculated Apple would hold an event to announce the new computers and other things..

but why would apple do this... then everyone would wait the 2 weeks to buy there newly updated computer, instead of the current ones.

not smart.
not gonna happen.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
And yet they released new iMacs last year that were eligible for the promo. The iPods were not, but the new iMacs were.

yes however. how many college students are going to buy a imac over a laptop? maybe apple sold their imacs and wanted to get a good start on selling the new ones.

everyone brings this up.... its rare.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
sept 9th was the date they speculated Apple would hold an event to announce the new computers and other things..

but why would apple do this... then everyone would wait the 2 weeks to buy there newly updated computer, instead of the current ones.

not smart.
not gonna happen.

Who are "they", and what "two weeks" are people waiting for computers? The promo ends the 15th; the 16th is a Tuesday. Logic.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
90%+ of MBP buyers wouldn't be looking at rumor sites and hedging their bets based on what's said.

They'd just buy either way.

Still, I doubt they'll do it before the promo's over.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
why are you fighting me on this? I agreed with you from the start of this thread on the release dates... then you go on contradicting everything...

people these days.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
why are you fighting me on this? I agreed with you from the start of this thread on the release dates... then you go on contradicting everything...

people these days.

No, no, no, I'm just wondering what two weeks people would be waiting to buy their computers. Anyone here would wait, but everyone else would just buy without a care. There are enough people not on MacRumors for Apple to not care about the people who do wait.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
apple usually says "x product " will be available in two weeks...a month... mid whatever...

sorry i said 2 weeks as an example.

i dont believe the new products will be available right away if there is an event on sept. 9th. i think we will be waiting 2 weeks til after the promo ends.

my 2 cents

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Considering the current 17" LED option is $100 and Apple is said to be looking at lower margins, it is possible the 17" LED will just become the standard screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.