New MBP's are now in online REFURB store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-key, Jun 8, 2010.

1. stillageek macrumors newbie

Nice! $200 savings on the base model. If only a few HiRes models would pop up....

2. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Yahoo!

I just purchased the 15" MBP i5 2.53ghz/500gb for $1699 ($300 off MSRP).

I've been reading the forums for many hours getting ready for this. Thanks to all the posters for their advice!

I need to thank Dell also...for pushing me over the edge!

Newbie questions to follow.......

Trvlngnrs

3. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Wow, that was fast. Good deals. These models are less than two months old!

4. unamused macrumors 6502

exactly!

5. ljrkrispes macrumors member

How do you tell new from old?

How do you tell whether the computer is a new or old Mac Pro?

6. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

You base it on the specs. Like if you look at the MacBook Pro priced at $1019, that is the new MacBook Pro from April of this year. So that's $180 off retail for instance.

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

Now all of the people who returned their MBPs due to yellow tints, dead pixels, near-invisible scratches and dents, can buy them, again, as refurbs. ;)

8. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

9. Sequin macrumors regular

I asked this before, but it was never answered. Why are some refurbs discounted even more with like 15% off, 20% off, etc? Are those only cheaper cause they had bigger issues to be fixed? D:

10. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

No 13" 2.4ghz :( Oh well that microcenter deal is still going on. Just gotta decide if i want that or the free iPod Touch.

11. stillageek macrumors newbie

There were 2.4 GHz/320M MBPs this morning. $1019. Also they have HiRes Antiglare models! $1649 for base 15 inch with Hires/Antiglare. Wow.

12. iverson76 macrumors newbie

As someone getting ready to buy a 13" MBP I may look into this.

Anyone ever bought a refurb model before? I see that you get the same warranty and the option for AppleCare but have the refurbs given people more issues or less?

13. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

14. iverson76 macrumors newbie

The 13" 2.4ghz listed for $1019 just states 4gb and doesn't mention "upgradeable to 8gb" like some of the others do. I wonder if its the same one?

15. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

They are fantastic. They first showed up on Wednesday. Mine arrived today and it is perfect so far.

16. Doju macrumors 68000

Yep, they're pretty much identical to their newer, more expensive counterparts with the exception of the box.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You don't get a free iPod with refurbs.

18. strang macrumors member

I don't know about you but there's a huge influx of iPod touches on my local Kijiji and craigslist cause of the Education offer going on. I'd be lucky to sell a 8GB for $100.

Anyone receive a refurbished Core iX yet? How is it? Any problems?

19. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Refurbs are Apple's best deal. These are machines that are returned, for one reason or another, which are then re-inspected by Apple, put in a plain white box and sold for $200 - $300 off list price. Many people on these boards consider them better than new because they are inspected twice. Once initially and then once again after being returned. Of course, any hardware failures will be replaced with new parts. Refurbs show up looking brand new. I have never heard of someone buying a refurb and receiving a unit with cosmetic damage. That is the first thing that is replaced if necessary. I will continue to purchase all of my Macs as refurbs.

Here are two scenarios of how a Mac becomes a refurb.

1. Business X takes delivery of 100 MBPs but realizes they can only use 80 units at this time. They return the additional 20 in their UNOPENED boxes, at which time Apple opens the boxes and inspects them and throws them in the white refurb box and sells them. Whether opened or not, a product that leaves Apple.com/store/etc can no longer be sold as new.

or

2. Joe buys 1 MBP and has hardware or cosmetic problems so he exchanges it for another unit. Apple inspects the machine to figure out why it was returned. If the machine is worth saving, they replace the problem hardware and then sell them refurbished.

20. JCCash macrumors regular

Bought a 15" 266ghz refurb for my son six months ago. He loves it (and so do I).

21. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

Got My refurbed i5 15" yesterday. Been perfect so far. Not a scratch on it and every pixel perfect. 3 cycles on the battery. Color me happy.

22. strang macrumors member

Cross your fingers I've placed an order on a Core i5!

23. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought my 13' 2009 uMBP refurbed - it is great! not a single problem, no cosmetic issues either.

And yes, you can still get applecare with it

to me it is the ONLY way to go, unless you want to do the iPod touch deal