New MBPs as bad as people say?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr. Gonzo, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Dr. Gonzo macrumors newbie

Hello,

Been reading the forums here for a while, and have been seeing a lot of complaints about the new MBPs? Are they really this bad?

Can you guys tell me a little more about this Rev A thing??

Regards,

Dr. Gonzo

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That sounds to be a breech of consumer protection laws. I'd look them up for where you live before agreeing to the NDA.

Are you the Sr. Editor for the NY Times or something?

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

All I have to say is.... WTF is that? First time I hear about it. I exchanged multiple times without any of that ****. Don't sign that and ask for a manager.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

:confused: What are you guys replying to?

As for the question, no I don't think they are nearly as bad as some of the complaints on here. Mine has been great, I like much better than the previous models.

5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Just remember. The majority of people complain, instead of praise.

So... with that in mind. You will hear SIGNIFICANTLY more complaints, than "Wow i love this so much! There are zero problems!"

cuz those posts are not interesting! lol

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The thread title and the body both changed. It was originally about him having a defective MBP, and finally getting the okay from Apple to exchange it -- ONLY if he signed an NDA with Apple first.

I dunno WTF happened, maybe he really got spooked by the whole NDA thing?!? :confused:

7. Airborneforest macrumors newbie

I'd also like to know about what exactly REV A is all about and when we will be seeing the (hopefully improved) REV B?

8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Dr. Gonzo as your attorney I would always a recommend to wait for Rev B of any new Apple notebook design.

I will also advise you to take two chill pills from your brief case immediately, before the fear kicks in.

Rev A just means first of it's kind, Rev B is the next update also known as a speed bump, a update that fixes issues and adds small enhancements, it is not a radical design change.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Rev A refers to the initial configuration of a new product / update. So when an "All new superamazingthing" is released, it's @ Rev. A. Rev A's tend to have bugs and issues with them, which are fixed in configuration modifications -- which cause the Revision to change to B, C, D... ect...

In short, it's usually best to skip the "Rev A" and wait for a Rev B or C -- because by then, most of the "bugs" have been worked out of the hardware.

And to reiterate - why did this thread change so much? Are you afraid of Apple legal using this as ammo against you or something???

10. benjs macrumors regular

Well, obviously, if he was forced to sign an NDA, then yes, he should be afraid. Depending on the terms of the NDA, he could be in violation of it even by posting on a site like this. Personally, I find it slightly disturbing that Apple would force an NDA upon a customer. I'd say this probably means there is a widespread issue Apple is trying to keep under wraps.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Or, you're getting bs'ed :rolleyes:

12. Aranince macrumors 65816

I have the new MBP and have zero problems with it. It's perfect!

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

If his name is Gonzo, and he is, in fact, a doctor, then several Men In Black Mock-Turtlenecks (MIBMTs) will come to his house and erase him.

You know what they say about Apples and Doctors...

14. Airborneforest macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I guess the Rev B would be after MWSF '09?

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not necessarily. The Revision typically changes under the same model # - so a Rev B does not mean it'll have a faster front side bus or anything -- it just means that problem areas, cost problems, things like this have changed.

You can have two identical models from the same product line that are of different revisions.

When the rev will change is only dictated by necessity - there is no pre-set time for this to happen. They could already be shipping rev B for all we know.

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, that's not right. There's never been a "rev B" without a significant change. A rev B normally appears 8 - 9 months after an initial release. There's never, ever been one in less than a month.

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

So if Apple had found a major problem with heatsink design causing the GPU to burn out just days after release - you're saying they'd sit on their butts before making any changes?

My friend, I work in a production environment, I've seen (first-hand) Rev D-4 items ship out mere weeks after Revision one release. And the paperwork involved with that... holy @(*$.

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Obviously the OP is a troll and you hit a nerve w/ your editor comment.

19. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

The new 3.0 Ghz chip release early next year will be the Rev B probably, that and when they decide they're putting TI firewire with 400 and 800 firewire speed back into the damn MBP

20. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

My MBP is 100% flawless and I'm really, really overall impressed with it. I love it! :D :apple:

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'm an electrical engineer and well familiar with revisions. Of course if they found an issue like this they would fix it. But the terminology of "rev B" on Mac websites always refers to a minor feature update of an existing model. If there were a rev B of the motherboard, it's not something that Apple publishes.

22. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Nope, they are not as bad as what you've heard. They're pretty awesome, very nice screen, and built solidly.

It definitely has a much nicer screen than the MB as well. I know people have been saying the lines have blurred and the pro doesn't seem so pro anymore.

But for me the screen sets it apart, the color quality is much better.

23. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

That's my guess, the 17" MBP will go 2.8 with a CTO of 3.06 but until then I don't think there's much they can do other than bump the HDD to 500gb. And maybe a 9650M or better. Who knows?

24. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Rev A also had a reputation of being full of bugs and problems in the past. But Apple somewhat improved its QA with the release of its newer products like the "rev a" Macbook Air and the iPhone. Hopefully same with the new Macbook and Macbook Pro.

25. MikeBrWade macrumors member

I have a 2.8 320 7200 and it is GREAT perfect no defects, and is probably the best "computer" not even laptop, that I have ever owned.