Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
They're pretty awesome, very nice screen, and built solidly.

that's funny. Yeah, they are as bad as people say, even worse.
A friend of mine bought one, his battery door is really bad,
the sound comes only from one side and the screen is just horrible.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
For the most part I love my new MBP. There is a defect though. The speaker grills look like they applied the coating (paint?) very unevenly. Like some areas of the grills are just like the body in color, and others are really bright silver like the coating is thin. They just ended up looking all splotchy.

Problem is, I have no other issues so I don't want to chance a more significant defect over something purely cosmetic.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
For the most part I love my new MBP. There is a defect though. The speaker grills look like they applied the coating (paint?) very unevenly. Like some areas of the grills are just like the body in color, and others are really bright silver like the coating is thin. They just ended up looking all splotchy.

Problem is, I have no other issues so I don't want to chance a more significant defect over something purely cosmetic.

Smart move!

deafanimator

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Help!! Which I get previous 2.5 MacbookPro or new 2.4

Having a hard time to decide which I should get Macbook Pro.. Now clearance I can get low as $1600 previous Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz with 512MB video card or New Mac 2.4ghz with 256mb video card. I will be heavy editing HD.. which is pro and con? I know the big difference the money and speed.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
check out barefeats, they have all the information on the differences of the video cards & chip configs from this MBP to the last...

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp06.html

Insights:

The "late 2008" 15" 2.8GHz MacBook Pro is incrementally faster than previous MacBook Pros in terms of CPU intensive actions.

The "late 2008" 15" 2.8GHz MacBook Pro* is about 20% faster than its fastest predecessor (2.6GHz MBP) when it comes to 3D graphics benchmarks.

(*Some of you have asked about whether the 2.8GHz is worth the extra $300 or 12% more than the 2.53GHz model. If you go by the core clock speed, which is 11% faster, the price difference seems appropriate. So you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth paying 12% more for 11% more speed on CPU intensive apps?" "What do I have more of, time or money?" And, "Will I eventually recover some of the extra expense in terms of higher resale value when I eventually sell it?")

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
The thread title and the body both changed. It was originally about him having a defective MBP, and finally getting the okay from Apple to exchange it -- ONLY if he signed an NDA with Apple first.

I dunno WTF happened, maybe he really got spooked by the whole NDA thing?!? :confused:

Wish people start quoting... I'm lost as to what the OP said..:confused:

cthulhunanny

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Personally I have no complaints about mine. At first I thought the glossy screen would be a big problem, but at least in my usage so far it hasn't been an issue.

Just make sure that you get the AppleCare protection plan and you will be fine. :)

andtwo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Just remember. The majority of people complain, instead of praise.

So... with that in mind. You will hear SIGNIFICANTLY more complaints, than "Wow i love this so much! There are zero problems!"

cuz those posts are not interesting! lol

I have to second this idea. Usually people only post when they are having problems or are waiting for their orders to come in. So that's why you probably see more problems than anything else. I am sure if people were to post their praises, there would be alot more than complaints.

BTW...had mine for about 3 days, enjoying it very very very much!!!

chrisi29

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I just ordered the CTO 2.4 Ghz one^^
It looks so ****ing sexy:D
The ONLY thing I don't like about the design is the black part/stripe behind the keyboard and on the back. (Not the bezel...) They should've made the entire notebook silver exept for the keyboard and the bezel^^

I can't wait for it to get here:D yay!!

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I'm still waiting for mine...but while in the Apple store today I couldn't resist giving one of the demos a good workout. :D I absolutely love it, and when people (with experience) say you get used to the screen and don't see the reflection they're absolutely right. Perhaps it was the time of day (afternoon as opposed to evening) but my experience w/ the screen was WAY better than the last time I tried it. Its an amazing machine and I can't wait for mine to arrive!

One thing I noticed, did they change the proximity of the keys somewhat? I'm not used to the chiclets to be honest but my typing experience was fine, I don't mind them at all.....except one thing. When pivot my right hand/pinky to hit "shift" I end up hitting the "/ - ?" key. Is this a laptop thing or is it a chiclet thing? I can't ever remember having my finger fall naturally on that key when I'm going for the "shift." I'm a fairly fast typer so I was confused as to why I kept hitting type-o's w/ that one finger action. Its not the spacing of the keys either as every other key falls naturally where they do on standard keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.