New MBPs - If not WWDC, When?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedlegsFan, May 19, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

Trying to prepare myself for the chance new models are not introduced at WWDC. I am trying to use my willpower and hold off on buying a MBP now, but if new models aren't introduced at WWDC, I might have to give in. So, if not WWDC, when do you think new models will be introduced this year?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Whenever Apple wants to? Apple is more worried with ios device sales with the iPhone in particular

3. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

There are some current deals running on the 2015 15" models - base for $1600 and upper end for $1950.

It's a pretty good time to buy if the 2015 models will do what you need and you want to save some money over being bleeding edge.

4. scoobysnax macrumors newbie

Where are these deals you speak of?

5. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

6. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I think you might have helped my dilemma. So here is my question.

Apple on line store gave me a quotation for $1799.10 for a 2015 retina MBP 13.3" - 2.9/16/512, which is $200 off the regular $1999 price on the Apple web site.

I am coming from a mid 2012 MBP with a non SSD drive, am I being hasty in not waiting for WWDC?

Thanks for any and all help. :)

7. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Personally, I'd step up to a 15" at that price. As someone who's owned both and has traveled on a day to day basis with both, the 15" isn't that much bulkier and the weight difference is negligible.

In the case of current sales, a base model not only saves you $200, but gets you just over twice the performance on both the processor and graphics (Intel iris vs iris pro in the 15).
    Alternatively, spending a bit more gets you the top spec 15" at $1940, which gives you an even faster processor and a dGPU.

Personally, I've settled on the base 15" and it's been a great choice. I'd strongly recommend the same, simply for the performance for your money spent.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well if you plan on running a 5k external screen anytime soon or are a gamer or 4K video editor then waiting for the GPU boost and thunderbolt 3 may be your best bet.

If not then I doubt it'll make much difference to you.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's scandalous that Apple is STILL selling MacBook Pros with Haswell at full price.

Has anyone told Apple that it's not 2013 anymore?

10. leman macrumors 604

New MacBooks are dependent on availability of new technology. New AMD GPUs, suitable for higher-end 15" MBP, will be released next month. I have no idea how it looks with the CPUs though, higher-end Skylakes are not there yet.

If I where to guess, I'd say that WWDC is a very realistic time frame for new models.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its anyone's guess at that point. Apple really doesn't provide too many details.