New MBPs this Thurs, February 21st?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doktag, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Doktag macrumors newbie

Yes, it's another MBP update thread, but hear me out. I believe that another possible day has popped up for a MBP update: this Thursday, the 21th February.

Various signs pointing to this:

- Stock IS running low on the current models. Update must be soon, or they risk losing sales because no one has any to sell!

- Peoples MBP orders being delayed.
    This guys order was set to ship Feb 13-15. Shipping date then changed to the 20th-22nd.

- The "secret Apple event" Linkin Park will be playing at in NYC.
    According to their Tour Dates, they are in NYC doing a concert that Thursday as well. (www.myspace.com/linkinpark, scroll down a bit). Apple event in the day, concert that night? Save them coming back and doing it after leaving NYC.

And finally, a bit of healthy speculation on my behalf:
    - Steve Jobs loves surprising people. A THURSDAY announcement would surprise everyone, particularly those followers of the Church of Tuesday :p.

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Good theory but I'd guess that the "secret event" would be not-so-secret right now - in order to have a bigger audience, people do have to know what's happening in less than 2 days, right?

3. cmm26red macrumors regular

4. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Maybe the invites were subliminal and people wont know they exist until they are at the event that they were invited to! :eek:

5. bayol05 macrumors regular

bayol05

As per the original post, I also thought about this.

The tour dates do show that Apple could have this "event" before this weekend. I do have a problem with there not being any sort of invitation or announcement, but if this Linkin Park "event" is happening soon (as opposed to a while from now, which I doubt since they mentioned it) then I would definitely see it happening while they are still in New York. I believe the tour dates show another concert in a different state on Monday. So if its possible even with there not being an announcement yet, I think it COULD happen on or by friday, I doubt they would do it on the weekend.

6. MYRZ macrumors member

7. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

That'd be a welcome surprise! Hope your right...

Gus...;)

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Maybe they'll send out the invites at a few minutes to midnight? [/pun]

9. davidec macrumors regular

Sorry guys, but what makes anyone think that the Linkin Park/:apple: gig will have anything to do with the impending MBP update? Sounds to me like some kind of itunes/ipod/isomething related event.

No reason for Apple to break with Tues tradition for our MBP update. Especially not for a minor speed bump and cosmetic upgrade

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Or possibly tied somehow to the iPhone SDK release? unlikely though.

11. MYRZ macrumors member

Please don't tell me nobody can see the humor in the use of 'hybrid theory'?

Anyway... it would be weird if Apple had 2 events, a music event and a announcement event, in just a few days... so i think either Linkin Park will play on the same event as the announcement, or there will be no announcement (Please no!)

12. davidec macrumors regular

The SDK will be a media event, and as of yet no invites have been sent. So I doubt that.
    Maybe something like the iTunes London sessions?

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Do you use a Mac, Doktag? If so, did you not notice that suprise was underlined in red? It's surprise.

14. davidec macrumors regular

How fastidiously pedantic of you. Besides, maybe he's using Panther?
    :)

15. ripplet macrumors member

Give him a break.

He might be using PC and wants to buy a new MBP :rolleyes:

Oh wait... PC does have spell check. Oh well, guess he's just a guy with English as his 2nd language. Who knows.

16. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I did say unlikely though...

and really, a moderator/Demi-God stepping in to point out a spelling mistake? are you really as bored at work as I am?? lol :eek:

17. hephem macrumors member

Well, actualy, as far as I know the 26th February event is still just a rumor.

Therefor, maybe the 21th could be the really event... But duno...

What I do know, is that, the stores are out of Mbp, even the refurb store, so a update is most likely imminent. Tomorrow or during this WE. Resellers can not wait until the 26th for a delivery, that would be insane. Some resellers are out of Mbp for about a week now, and wait a intirely new week would be just to much.

It will be strange though if Apple break the Tuesday rule to come out the Mbp update. However it seams that the Mbp update delay is not Apple's fault but is due to a penryn shipment delay which would justify an update "in extremis".

That said, I would be also very surprised if anything happens tomorrow. Not because your "hybrid theory" (I understood the words game) don't stand but, well, it would be strange...duno... plus, it is to obvious at this point and god knows that nothing with Apple is obvious. Not even when the Iphone 16gb came out.

18. weichengwang macrumors newbie

people are running out of energy :eek:, please, if any information hasn't proved by apple, don't post it.

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I know...I blame it on the insomnia :eek:.

20. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

this is a rumor site... surely the point is to speculate... no? :confused:

21. hephem macrumors member

Well, it depends...

A rumor is something that we have heard (from a source) and for what the happenning is unsure.

A speculation is just talk about what might or might not happend whitout having any source in the background.

What we should do in a rumor site is to bring some rumors. But because almost none of us is in contact with a high representator of Apple, all we can do is speculate...

Guess what? Is what we do!

:D

22. MYRZ macrumors member

Well, don't mean to flame or anything, but i think you're to picky...

...and MacSpeculations just doesn't sound as catchy as MacRumors...

23. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Indeed, the forum is for speculating about the rumors that are posted on the main MacRumors site...

site for proper rumors - forum for speculations :D

24. Doktag thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I am not on a Mac. When the MBP update comes out, it will be my first. As ripplet guessed, I'm on a PC, and actually just recently formatted it (sigh), so I haven't yet installed dictionary for Firefox.

But that's no excuse really. English is my first language, and I'm ashamed of the mistake. I usually pride myself on spelling and grammar. Please accept my apology.

Also, MYRZ - I lol'd at your pun. :)

No invites (or to be more correct, no news about invites) does seem to be the biggest hole in the theory. But we shall see.

25. hephem macrumors member

Dude... don't forget your humor for the rumor.