New MBPs to eat into the iMac market?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 59n18e, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 59n18e macrumors newbie

With fast CPUs and I/O, would the new MBPs eat into the iMac market?

2. flipster, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

flipster macrumors 6502a

No, the baseline 13" cost $1200 and the graphics cards in those things blow.

New iMac should be here soon, and will probably have some sort of ATI Radeon 6950M 1GB which should boost the iMac to be far superior against the current lineup of Macbook Pros.

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Plus you get bigger display with iMac and it uses a desktop hard drive/CPU.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

Laptops have made substantial inroads into the desktop market . . . part of the "unitary" design that consumers seem to seek. Provided that any device, whether it's a desktop, laptop, netbook or slate/pad . . . or even a mobile phone, can meet the users needs for productivity, then that's the device that the consumer will select.

Gamers have different needs than bloggers; photo and video enthusiasts have different requirements than wordsmiths and spreadsheet jockeys. Road warriors look for features that stay at homes would seldom use. Pick the right tool for the job.

5. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Wouldn't be suprised if all new imacs except the standard one are quadies :)

6. MTI macrumors 65816

Is there much multicore software out there for average users?

7. flipster macrumors 6502a

They'll still be dual core, Apple needs to purposely water down the specs so it differentiates between the 21.5" models.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

just put t-bolt in the iMac and let it hookup to a booting external. what will hurt will be mac pros not iMacs. as an owner of both I would think apple will push to boost the iMac sales. by having a real high speed external the fact that the internal hdd is trapped will have no meaning to power users.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Can it be fairly stated that the top of the line iMac 2.93GHz i7 will outperform the top tier MacBook Pro (2.3GHz Sandy Bridge i7)?

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

OF COURSE NOT .. this shiny new MBP is just get a headstart

New upcoming iMac will eat new MBP alive, that's obvious ... but iMac is different beast for different purpose. It was designed to replace your home desktop PC (which all of you should try to), while MBP is designed for portability and decent performance compared to desktop from the same generation

I have an approach for everything i buy .. always GO BIG ... for the same technology, bigger is always better, and that's undeniable. But that's just me, other people has different needs

11. flipster macrumors 6502a

Lol, I like that modo. I'll use that next time I drop $1800 on an iMac. "go big or go home" right ;) ?