MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

141258-new_mobileme_calendar.jpg

Apple's revamped MobileMe Calendar web application, which debuted as a beta version in early July, has officially exited the beta stage, with availability now rolling out to all MobileMe customers.
The new MobileMe Calendar is now out of beta and available to all members. We'd like to thank everyone who took part in the beta for helping to make this the best MobileMe Calendar yet.

The announcement highlights several new features of MobileMe Calendar, including push and syncing improvements for iOS devices, calendar sharing and publishing, event invitations with RSVPs, and the overhauled web interface.

Back in June, Apple launched a revamped MobileMe Mail interface, as well as a more general overhaul of the online MobileMe experience.

Article Link: New MobileMe Calendar Officially Launched

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
When you open it, it asks if you want to keep a copy of it on your computer for faster performance. I clicked yes. I don't know where on my computer it's kept. The iCal app still looks the same.

Comment

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I would love to utilize this, but don't use MobileMe... maybe next week they'll announce it to be free? (wishful thinking) :rolleyes:

Comment

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The picture appears to show it running on an iPhone, but you can't log in to MobileMe on an iPhone, unless I've missed something?

Comment

jcfennell

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Please note these system requirements for the new MobileMe Calendar:
iPhone or iPod touch: iOS 4.1
iPad: iOS 3.2; iOS 4.2 (coming in November) required for push calendar updates
Mac: Mac OS X Snow Leopard version 10.6.4
PC: MobileMe Control Panel version 1.6.3 and Outlook 2007 or 2010

Comment

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The picture appears to show it running on an iPhone, but you can't log in to MobileMe on an iPhone, unless I've missed something?

You have to use the iPhone's Calendar app, not Safari (your iPhone's mail, calendar, etc. all sync with MobileMe if you have those turned on.)

What I am still not getting is why my subscribed Calendars don't show up on the Me.com version of Calendar; specifically, I subscribe to U.S. Holidays and Movie Releases and these show up fine on my Mac and iPhone's Calendar apps, but not online at Me.com's calendar. :confused:

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

You still can't. I think the iPad and iPhone are just showing that their calendar apps can sync with MobileMe.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Keep Dreaming....

Keep Dreaming....

I know, I know, but really, it should be free or lower cost to compete with the alternatives (e.g. Google).

I have Google calendars syncing with my iCal, my iPad, and calendar systems displaying current events on my website. It all works very well. So why would I pay for a yearly subscription to Apple's service?

I'd also consider a steep discount...

But really, a company of Apple's size, especially when data subscription services isn't their primary revenue stream, should be able to come up with something.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know, I know, but really, it should be free or lower cost to compete with the alternatives (e.g. Google).

I have Google calendars syncing with my iCal, my iPad, and calendar systems displaying current events on my website. It all works very well. So why would I pay for a yearly subscription to Apple's service?

But really, a company of Apple's size, especially when data subscription services isn't their primary revenue stream, should be able to come up with something.

You're just being cheap and narrow-minded. A company is entitled to generate revenue from their services. Google achieves that through ads in their Gmail, which is a component of their online office suite. At the end of the day, Google makes revenue just by people using their products. Apple's services aren't ad-based. Maybe one day if/when iAds becomes part of their larger online strategy.

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
When you open it, it asks if you want to keep a copy of it on your computer for faster performance. I clicked yes. I don't know where on my computer it's kept. The iCal app still looks the same.
It wouldn't affect the iCal application.

The MobileMe Calendar is a webapp (probably mostly HTML5 code); it would be storing it in the permanent portion of your web browser's cache. When you access the MobileMe website the next time, the Calendar app should run faster because the majority of the code resides on your computer's hard drive.

Comment

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010

I think that's just the standard Calendar App in "Day" view.

Comment

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
iCal already supports the new caldav format that the new me.com calendar uses.

True but now there is a UI inconsistency that did not exist with the old version of the calendar (because it matched the current iCal UI). I would like it better if the UI experience was consistent throughout.

Comment

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009

I agree... they should offer it for free or on the cheap as a service to Mac users. I would love to be able to use it and be all Apple... without having to use Google or other services out there. Ok, so I'm a bit of a Fan boy, I admit it. :D

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I resisted participating in the beta, unlike the Mail beta which I did. Mostly because it said some functionality or another would change or be replaced and it sounded like I wouldn't want to do it. Can anyone explain what the changes are and what side effects there are to the new system. I believe it affects the web version and iCal, because I think they have the upgrade message in both.

On another note, I am bummed that they took the folder actions out of Mail with the upgrade to empty Junk or Deleted messages from the gear that used to be at the bottom. I also don't like how in Mail you can't select and move to Junk messages as easily without previewing/opening them. And don't get me started on how the iPhone and web version has no junk mail rules like the desktop client and you have to keep your OS X client running for Junk to be moved. Added to which iOS really needs to put the Junk folder up with Drafts, Sent, etc, and not alphabetically listed with all the other folders. Absurd.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.