New MobileSubstrate

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tripleocho3, Nov 9, 2009.

1. tripleocho3 macrumors newbie

So I updated the MobileSubstrate in Cydia and then I hit the "Reboot Device" button. My iPhone shut down and then when it powered back up, all that happened was the Apple logo appeared for about 10 seconds, then it disappeared. After numerous tries of powering on my phone, I finally had to do a DFU restore :(. I was just wondering, what did I do wrong and what caused this problem????

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same thing happened to me.
    Iphone 3GS on 3.1.2 with custom IPSW from pwnagetool.
    As soon as I hit reboot the phone started booting displaying the pineapple logo and then after 10 seconds it would shut off.
    After trying to rebout it about 20 times I put it in DFU mode.
    Instead of going thru the restore I hit power/home buttons together again and the pineapple logo appeared again but after 10 or more seconds the iphone vibrated twice and it finally went thru and loaded up fine.
    I really didnt feel like restoring, syncing everything and putting back on all my cydia apps and sources etc....
    Now Im affraid to restart or even shut off the iphone incase it does the same thing again.
    I was ready to give up too and do a restore but after 20-30 attempts it went in :D

3. madmak macrumors member

well my phone did restart but it is acting weird now. After it restarted, all my network settings were cleared. I got "iphone is activated" message. it even changed the name of the phone.

I'd strongly advice to avoid upgrading

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its pretty messed up they didnt test it out before releasing it.
    It could potentially brick or mess up many JB iphones.
    Anyone who reads this dont update to the latest Mobilesubstrate version.
    Im sure they'll either remove it or release a more stable version shortly.

5. vilasgn macrumors regular

Thanks for letting us know. I will stay away from it!

6. nickrinaldi macrumors regular

is it safe to update mobilesubstrate yet? don't want to mess up my phone

7. Cupra macrumors regular

The changelog for MobileSubstrate is always the same:

implemented critical fixes to the instruction decoders based on bug reports from people writing extensions

The timing of the releases tend to correlate with major new releases from either myself, Apple, or third party extension vendors. This is because those are the times when new bugs are detected by extension developers.

There is simply /not/ a changelog that would make any sense for MobileSubstrate to any end-user or end-developer. I can't even predict what all would be fixed by new releases of MS, all I can say is "omg, I can't believe that previous version worked, that was a /critical/ fix".

In the two or three cases that there has ever, in the history of MS, been a change that is worthy of a changelog mention, it is typically the following:

due to reports from users over the course of the last hour, I have made a subtle change to the loading mechanism of MobileSubstrate to improve safety and reduce bug reports

This occurred today, and was mentioned explicitly on my Twitter feed with a mention of what I did (CommCenter SafeMode).

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Just an FYI: I upgraded MS just now and it reset my network settings (as previously mentioned) but so far there have been no other ill effects.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Worked fine for me last night. No changes to network settings, phone seems to be slighlty slower in tasks.

Cydia is showing me another update MS 0.9.3087-1 this morning

10. Tu13es macrumors regular

I just upgraded and rebooted. My phone stayed at the Apple logo for probably a full 5 minutes, then was fine. Scared me for a minute there.

11. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Cydia is not telling me I need to update that.

12. TheReplica macrumors newbie

Just updated and rebooted, now the phone has a very delayed response doing anything.

13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

One wonders.....after seeing such a thread, why would you update?

14. coopersm macrumors newbie

Just wondering if there is a consesus as to if it worthwhile to update mobilesubstrate.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hummm, I see the same posts you do and I don't see anyone saying anything but negative comments. :confused:

16. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I updated early this morning before I saw this thread and it's been fine for me. But I'm on a 3g, running 3.0 if that matters.

17. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I updated early this morning no problems. Just say yet another update about 30 mins ago so i did that. Phone rebooted, sat on apple logo for longer than usual then it went black. scared the shizzle out of me but then it came on and said 'iPhone is now activated' twice and it reset my network settings (lost passwords for all networks it would appear <_< damn those 63 char passwords)

I should have learnt from last time with a mobilesubstrate update that they dont always go smoothly.

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Can someone who hasn't updated post the version # from the update which showed up last night (perhaps 0.9.3087)

Cydia is showing me another update MS 0.9.3087-1 this morning.

I believe I have a link to the .deb files for MS and might be able to post the older version.

From Saurik's twitter:

saurik MS 0.9.3087 has a new CommCenter SafeMode in case there are any broken extensions out there using 0.9.3072's "more processes" ability badly.
    about 6 hours ago from web

saurik The changelog for MobileSubstrate is always "hooks more processes and functions due to complex new ARM instruction relocators". ;P @iSurenix
    about 9 hours ago from web

19. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I just updated to the 0.9 3087-1 version and it went without a hitch, installed then rebooted device, phone came right back up.

I installed it on a 3Gs running 3.1.2.

It didn't reset my network settings or rename my phone and I don't notice any lag.

20. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Just updated my 3GS with the new MS this morning and had no ill effects. I'm JB with an IPSW created with Pwnage. After installing the new MS, my phone rebooted just fine, didn't seem to take any longer than normal. Network settings are still the same as is my phone name.

Everything seems to be working great at the moment.

21. OhioLefty macrumors regular

I updated last night before I saw any of this and it says my "installed version" is 0.9.3072-1 and that was coming from the version installed when I jailbroke this past weekend and installed SBSettings from Cydia (whatever version that would have been). So I've done one update (now I'm scared to do another) and that is where I am now (version 0.9.3072-1). Cydia is telling me now there is another update available (version 0.9.3087-1) but I'm waiting to see what you guys do. I gotta say, my update went ok last night but my iPhone acts a little more sluggish than before, and I noticed that last night before reading this.

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, I believe that is the previous version.

And you are correct about the sluggishness.

Edit: OK, here is a link to the older version Mobile Substrate 0.9.3072-1

If we remove the new "slower" version thru Cydia, it will then require a reboot, I suspect the phone will not reboot with MS removed. So, if you use CyberDuck to install the older version before doing the reboot, that, at least in theory, should work ?? Anyone ??

Just so everyone knows, I am not sure about this switch out. Maybe someone with more "brains" than me can comment

23. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

im currently up to date with MS, obv i updated prior to viewing this forum. but thankful that nothing went wrong. updated just as well as any update. you can see my config below.

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I just updated... hit reboot and then saw this thread...

My fingers are crossed!!! Usually Saurik is pretty on top of these things.

EDIT: All is well for me :D Rebooted just fine and everything is snappy!

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I upgraded to v 0.9.3087-1 and its fine. 3.1.2 with a PT ipsw I made.